1911Forum banner

.45 Super

15K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  KLW1911 
#1 ·
what would i have to do safely shoot .45 super in my Taurus PT1911?

#2 ·
Some will tell you to install a 32# recoil spring and have at it. I think the recoil spring is about the least important part in the conversion, but you should go higher than ACP. Ace Customs, who developed the Super round, had a fairly extensive conversion kit, and you may be able to find a list of the contents. When I was working with a friend, to convert his Kimber Classic to Super, I was guided by my experience with my own Delta Elite. I won't tell you what to do with your gun, but here's what I did with mine: First and foremost, install EGW firing pin stop with minimal radius on the heel. Replace the mainspring with a 25# unit. Depending on the load, install a recoil spring of 20#-24#. I used a Cominolli frame-saver guid rod on my Delta, and a conventional shok-buff on the .45. Last, maybe not of much use, but conceptually an improvement, is to put a 10-round magazine spring in your standard mag tube. This reduces the capacity one round, but the slide velocity is such that a weak mag spring won't be able to keep up, so the "Super Mag" should add a bit of insurance.

#3 ·
Ace Custom 45s in Texas registered the 45 Super name and offer a "45 Super Conversion" package on their website. The conversion includes the following:

-Lower & flare the ejection port
-Extended ejector
-Heavy duty dual recoil springs
-Installation and fitting of the recoil guide rod and buffer system
-Jewel outside barrel chamber, sides of hammer & trigger (if appl.)
-Modify firing pin or replace
-Heavy duty extractor
-Heavy duty firing pin spring

With the exception of a heavier recoil spring, buffer, and modifying the firing pin to a shorter length, I don't see anything on this list that doesn't come on most 1911s from the factory. Jeweling the barrel will not make the pistol any more suitable for firing 45 Super. A few years ago the fellow that runs the Realguns website bought a Kimber specifically for this purpose and all he did was drop a 28# Wolf recoil spring in it and fired several hundred rounds of Super handloads. At the end of his testing there was no unusual wear or battering of the frame. You can go to the Realguns site and read about it in the archive, and I would recommend you do that before taking the plunge. Ace Custom would have you believe it's not a good idea to fire 45 Super from your pistol until they've collected several hundred dollars to accomplish what you can do for $20. I have been wrong many times before, but I don't think any of their modifications will offer significant improvement over what you can do at home.

The better question is why do you want to shoot 45 Super? It will be harder on the pistol, recoil will be significantly more, and recovery time between shots will be slower. I can see it if you want more umph for hunting, but IMO it just diminishes the pistol for defensive purposes.

#5 ·
The Springfield XD 45 is better suited to the 45 Super.

Just put in a heavy recoil spring and have at it...gotta give credit where credit is due...and the XD is one tough customer.

#6 ·
i am going to use it for a backup hunting pistol. i had an issue a few years back with a deer i shot and a bear wanting it.

#8 ·
but only one company makes the rounds and i can get .45 super walking into the neighborhood gun shop.

#9 ·
Well - if I were facing a BEAR - a ballistics edge would be my FIRST consideration versus how easy it was to get ammo - cause it may be more difficult to out run a wounded BEAR - you could get a S&W 625 and go either way - 45 super or 460 rowland - with the revolver no worry about jam or mal- function. :rock:

#11 ·
that is my food. why buy meat when you can shoot it? a freezer full for a bullet or a steak from the store for $5

#15 ·
just black bear. i think those are the only kind in GA outside the zoos.

#17 ·
I didn't notice earlier that the OP said it was for a PT1911. Good Lord man, you go and shoot something like a 45 Super in a PT1911 and that guns going to blow apart like a hand grenade. Use something with a ramped barrel and built strong enough to hold together because your chances of getting eaten by a bear are alot less than getting killed by the flying mim pt shrapnel -IMO

#19 ·
Now you are taking my language - a 44mag on the hip or a 460 smith is a much safer outfit than a semiautio - in the rush of adrinilin (sp?) no safety to worry about - just pull the trigger :rock:

#21 ·
Actually there are several company's that produce the 460 Rowland round,Ga. arms,Corbon,Buffalo Bore,etc. Clark Custom makes a conversion for the 1911 that cost about 300.00 and it is pretty much drop in.I have an old 70's comp gun converted to the Rowland 9 rounds of 44 mag power in 1911,good woods carry piece or hunting handgun for deer hog etc.

#23 ·
A minimal radius firing pin stop puts undo stress on the hammer strut. The 1911 locks up tight as the gasses expand pushing the bullet out the barrel. It isn't until then when the pressure drops it unlocks driving the slide to the rear. Your probably better off compensating such a gun to bring down the pressure s to more reasonable level while maintaining reasonable spring rates that compliment one anther.

I play with a 45 win mag. Just an idea. I still haven't got all the answers. I know they beat the gun up if it isn't right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.