1911Forum banner

looking to get first 1911

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  anothernewb 
#1 ·
lookign to get first 1911 i have about 900 to spend less would give me room to buy ammo so thats what i was shooting for.
The few i have looked at are the sig x0 or tac pac
Smith e series
colt combat elite
ruger
SA loaded
Sti spartan
RIA 2011 tactical
Im just not sure what would be the best for my money and maybe allow me to buy some ammo very interested in the sig lines just not sure how good they are

#3 · (Edited)
here is my short experience, i just finished up shopping for a 1911 over the last 3-4 months trying to decide which way to go...

i was VERY tempted to get a Sig trad 2 tone .. found a few places that would do $780 shipped on it .. that + your FFL fee gives you $100 or so to pay range fees and 250 rounds ammo... this is what i was SURE i would get, but the non-transferable warranty always bothered me for some reason.. none the less the fit and finish on every single sig 1911 piece i handled was unrivaled at the price point.. and the traditional models look GREAT ... plus 1 thing i love about them is they are completed guns imho ... i wouldnt change a thing, even down to the grips they make great decisions with what to do on guns..

as far as ruger, while i might just have gotten my first 1911, i am a HUGE ruger fan .. by far my favorite all around gun company ... i dreamed of a SR1911 so long and didnt buy anything waiting for prices to come back down.. i do know they get great reviews but the only 2 i ever saw in person had a very sloppy fit on trigger, grip safety, and some issues in my opinion with finish ... that turned me off BIG TIME, but none of it would have affected reliability i dont think .. especially with people wanting 750+ for these, they arent worth it imho .. they are a great company and great customer service, but the SA i got is much nicer in my eyes

regarding RIA etc... i always think about resale value even though i never intend to sell anything .. and i always think about over all quality etc in case i decide to keep something a LONG time and really use the hell outta it .. i had actually put money down on a RIA once, but just couldnt go through with it.. they seem nice, they get awesome reviews, CS is supposed to be great .. but in the end to me a 1911 is a high end gun, no reason to go "cheap" if it might bother you, and it would have bothered me. the thought that a couple hundred more could get me something I would be more proud of, hold value better, and have a better fit/finish in the end made it a no brainer for me that way .. some love em cause they can bang them around etc and not care.. im a wierd guy.. same as I couldnt just go out and buy a Rossi revolver.. i LOVE wheelguns, Rossis work fine, but I cant have anything from a company i dont 100% trust and i cant enjoy the lower end stuff as much as I can higher end.. i find myself taking more pride in things that cost a little more and are a little better made which results in a better maintained weapon and me shooting much more ...

that being said ... I just found a GREAT deal on a SA champion loaded SS and couldnt pass it up.. the SA was an awesome deal and im glad i went 4" for carry atleast.. in my situation with how i dress atleast that extra 1" might make a difference, when sitting i notice the 4" barrell is right about against the chair and a 5" would push into the seat and push the holster up if that makes sense (wearing at 5 for me) ... SA has awesome customer service, and im actually glad i went this route . .. so glad im considering selling a couple other guns and getting a Milspec or something to start working on ... the warranty and them not caring who bought the gun originally means a LOT to me ... the loaded might be your best option as it can be had around $750 last i looked possibly a little less? idk ..

anyways, just my experience, thought i would share

#6 ·
If you are looking into production Springfields, IMO you owe it to yourself to check out a Range Officer. I would not buy another loaded with a range officer sitting next to it, unless the loaded is an NM and feels extremely tight. The last few loaded models I have handled felt a little loose in comparison to the more fitted RO. If you are even considering the RIA line, then I say DO IT. They are great guns and I have buddies that cannot believe the that it is a 400 dollar gun.

#7 ·
Buy as much gun as you can afford. If you cannot afford what you want, SAVE your money till you CAN afford it.

If you buy into the "buy Brand X and spend the rest on ammo" theory, then when all of the ammo you spent money on is gone, you're left with the pistol you really didn't want in the first place.

Life is short. Don't settle.

#13 ·
Well I'll get it started, Kimber custom II, great shooter, well made, good C.S. very acurate and comes with a really good trigger. You can find one in the 800 range new and it's a great pistol for latter custom work if you would want to. Also made in the US of A if that matters to you.

#14 · (Edited)
I would vote for Ruger, the reason being they have never made any junk. The 1911 is new to them, from past experince I would say it was well tested before it was on the market. I have colts and 1 para, and now a brand new ruger 1911. Which is absoutley beautiful and tight as a full tick. Buy the ruger they are begining to show up at dealers in the 600 to 700 range.

By the way there service has always been second to none.

#17 ·
I'm not an expert on guns by any standard, but I will put my vote in for a Ruger, I've got a little over 1000 trouble free rounds through mine so far, and it's been a pleasure to shoot. I feel it's very well put together as well. They also appear to be becoming easier to find finally. I waited 8 months for mine.

That being said, my alternative when I gave up on ever finding the Ruger was a Springfield loaded stainless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.