1911Forum banner

Kimber Gold Match For Warrior?

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  DARKEHORSE 
#1 ·
Hey Kimber gang,

I was looking and evaluating the " beauty " of my blued Gold Match II and per chance, I opened up my Kimber catalog and the Warrior II caught my eye.

Suddenly I had the urge to trade in the GM II for a Warrior. Would YOU do it??

Before you think I am crazy, let me say..........I am:rofl:

#6 ·
The sig comes with 4 mags the kimber 2. The sig has Magwell the kimber doesn't. The sig is series 80 while my desert warrior is not. The standard warrior comes in both. The sig comes with an option to be bought with the threaded barrel the kimber does not i picked up that tacops for $755 I got my desert warrior for $1200. All in all I love my desert warrior. A LOT but for the money my sig tacops/warrior looking for the money is far better.

#8 ·
I have a G.M. and it would be the last one to go. To tell ya the truth I don't really like the D.W. anyway but even if I did I wouldn't give up a G.M. for one. The whole idea of a defense pistol is all well and good however 95% of our shooting is at the range. What's better for that than a Gold Match ? You can always use it for defense to.

#10 · (Edited)
I have both guns. I wouldn't step down to a Warrior. Not that the Warrior is a bad gun, but the Gold Match is better in most respects (except maybe the low rise Novaks). I bought my Warrior first, then bought the Gold Match next. I say keep the Gold Match and then buy the Warrior if you want.

Also my Warrior also gave me alot of headaches at first. I believe I have enough rounds through it now and I followed almost every piece of advice on this Forum and the M1911 Forum to get it working properly. I had FTRB's, FTF's, and FTE's with no particular rhyme or reason to it. I have to use Wilson Combat magazines (No Kimber, Kimber Pro Tacs, or McCormicks, etc.), polished the slide stop, polished the feed ramp, and cycled several hundred to thousands of rounds to make it work reliably. For me, the Warrior is only a range gun now, due to the initial unreliability I experienced with my particular sample. It will never be my CCW or HD.

My experience with the Warrior almost soured me to Kimber brand completely. However, my later experience with the Gold Match helped Kimber redeem itself IMO.

#12 ·
Isn't this analogous to what Tiger Woods did?

"Yeah, my wife is beautiful, but I wonder what that Waffle House waitress would be like."

#15 ·
Just realized that you were looking at the Warrior II. I might be wary of the II since most people want the Warrior for the lack of the Swartz safety. That's why I bought mine. [Not that I've ever had a Swartz problem with any Kimber I've owned]

I see you're in the People's Republic of Komifornia so you probably have to have a Swartz. I might recommend the Custom TLE RL II for the frontstrap checkering and the lack of the lanyard loop if you've gotta have the Swartz. Apart from the Kimpro finish and "Novak style" sights, I think they're essentially the same gun.

#16 ·
Just to throw gas on the flames....

I recently rid myself of a Desert Warrior (Warrior with a paintjob). The grip safety rattled in the frame. Not just a little, it rattled constantly. The grips sucked. Magwell grips on a non-magwell pistol leads to them getting caught on everything, something I wasn't aware of til I owned the thing. Trigger was full of sand, or felt like it. Even a quick stoning didn't help much. Overall, the Desert warrior was a big green (not tan) disappointment. Especially for a pistol with a $1400 MSRP.

Swapped it for a Custom Classic in good shape, along with a complete AR lower, and haven't looked back. My only gripe about the Custom Classic is it hates every magazine I own except one. Now I either need to buy new mags, or replace followers in existing mags, or have the pistol checked. Not sure which way to roll yet.

In my honest opinion, the Desert Warrior plays on a gimmick, without living up to it's pricetag. It's non-painted brother I would imagine to be very similar.

#18 ·
I had EXACTLY opposite experiance with one of the early Desert Warriors.
Mine was not tight until lock up, but then beautiful. Ran thousands of rounds through it, everything 100% reliable. (when BRAND NEW, I swapped in a Wilson slide stop, and cleaned Kimpro from the feed ramp) Pistol could hit a dime at 10 yards if I did my job. I think you got a Friday quitting time pistol, sorry. I still think OP should stand on his GM.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Too late, the dumb ___ in me showed up one day, and I let 'er go.:( And that early Desert Warrior, was really one of the ones I should have kept.
I have a few keepers though. ;)

I could probably post a thread on the ones I used to have, and make some question my sanity.
I love them all, but not "in love" with any. And sometimes you have to say good bye to one to say hello to another. 1911's, are they cool or what!

#27 ·
I have read lots on problems on different forums, but have not had a single problem with any of my Kimbers with a few thousand rounds through each. I love my Kimbers, but I also love my Springfields. The Kimber TLE line and Custom Shop lines seem to shoot without issue, but my TRPs outshoot all of my TLE line. My Combat Gold Stainless seems to out shoot my Springfield PC9105LCA with the full rail. I think they all exceed most shooters ability and it seems the more I pay for them...the more I get out of them...not to mention the little things I add after purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.