1911Forum banner

What powder scale works the best

12K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  openroadws 
#1 ·
I want to start reloading 45acp I am starting to buy componates as funds allow. Looking to buy a powder scale want to do it right the first time.
I have a RCBS 502 scale but I do not think it would work real good for the small amount of powder used in pistols. I load shotgun shells now in three gauges.
Thanks for all your infromation so I can make the right choice.

#3 ·
The Dillon Eliminator scale is nice for $54.

I have been using a Lee scale for a while now, and it works. They're around $20. However, it can sometimes be maddening to zero, and keep zeroed. It is very sensitive, though.

#10 ·
I started with the Lee scale that came with my kit. It lasted one session. I left the bench and immediately ordered the Dillon Eliminator. I had the same issues with obtaining a zero, and keeping it. I had to re-zero between each charge measured. The little white marks in the .10 grain increments are almost impossible to read, especially since the white is rubbed off on most of them. The triple poise system with the Eliminator is far easier to work with.

LC

#4 ·
Are you looking for digital or balance beam type? What's your budget? I wanted a solid digital powder scale, ate the cost for an RCBS 1500 and never looked back. Great scale and no regrets.

-1911Collector

#5 ·
I prefer a mechanical scale like the RCBS 10-10 scale for my precision work. Another plus for the beam type scale is that I don't have to remember my target value once set. I have an ac powered Pact, which I believe to be the makers of the RCBS electronic scales. It's handy for weighing stuff. It's easy to setup. They are temparature sensitive though. I turn mine on at least a half hour before using it to measure small charges. Static electricty effects it too. I switched from plastic to a metal powder tray to help with that.

#7 ·
I own a Dillon eliminator scale and I also bought a electronic scale. The Dillon works fine but I am not impressed with the construction.

If I had it to do over I would spend $20 more than the Dillon sells for and get one of these.

I have never used one of these I linked to but from the picture it just looks like it was made a lot better than the Dillon.

There is nothing wrong with the Dillon, I just that there are a lot better scales for a little more money

http://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-3-Beam-Mechanical-Balance/dp/B004C3I5A8/ref=pd_sbs_op_3

http://www.amazon.com/Adam-Equipmen...P6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1300723214&sr=8-12

#24 ·
I own a Dillon eliminator scale and I also bought a electronic scale. The Dillon works fine but I am not impressed with the construction. If I had it to do over I would spend $20 more than the Dillon sells for and get one of these. I have never used one of these I linked to but from the picture it just looks like it was made a lot better than the Dillon. There is nothing wrong with the Dillon, I just [think] that there are a lot better scales for a little more money

http://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-3-Beam-Mechanical-Balance/dp/B004C3I5A8/ref=pd_sbs_op_3

http://www.amazon.com/Adam-Equipmen...P6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1300723214&sr=8-12
I don't understand why you are saying this. These are cheap scientific gram scales with no features for reloading, not even a simple powder pan. 1.0 gram equals 15.4 grains, so if these scales are accurate to 0.1 gram, that equates to 1.4 grains. Accuracy to only 1.4 grains will get your gun blown up when using powders like TiteGroup.

The basic Ohaus beam scale (like the Eliminator, 505, or 10-10) is accurate to 0.1 grains. That's 14 times MORE accurate, for far less money.

Please help us understand why you would say this.

:confused:

#13 ·
For my two handguns and all my rifles, I use the RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster Combo Digital. Very fast and accurate. Buuut, I always Have my RCBS[Ohaus] scale on hand to check wgts every now and again; just to be sure. Anything electronic can go monkey brains for whatever reason!:biglaugh:

#19 ·
I have a 502 and I only load pistol cartridges. The 505 and 502 are some of the most widely used scales. I don't know why you are concerned about 6 grains being at the end of the scale. I have loads with as little as 3.6 grains going on my 502.

If you just want to buy something new then or just want to spend money then by all means get the RCBS 10-10. You won't go wrong with it. I still have to reinforce the fact that your 502 is perfectly fine.

#20 ·
I've used an electronic balance since the late '70s and the Ainsworth still works.
I like the little Lyman 1000XL (I think), with battery and AC adaptor. I also use the RCBS 1500 (?) that came with the ChargeMaster.
I have never had any problems with an electronic balance. Beams need proper care and nobody cares for theirs properly that I have seen. I have also seen a poise or two get accidentally moved so the charge was wrong. The only beam balance I ever used was the RCBS with the "nut" that turns rather than an individual poise.
If you get a beam balance, buy a set of check weights. Weigh each combination of check weights and make a plot of weight read vs actual weight.
Run this check every once in a while to verify that the balance hasn't shifted.
Keep it covered when not in use and only have the beam on the base when you are actually weighing something (store the beam off the base with both covered).

#21 ·
I have an old Rcbs 5-10 that I have used over 25 years and a new Rcbs 5-0-5, both made by Ohaus Corp, they both work great, nothing at all wrong with Rcbs scales

#28 ·
Openroadws:
I've been using the same RCBS "Ohaus" 10-10 scale for over 30 years and it's been dead on accurate the entire time. No need to change

How do you KNOW that your balance is dead on accurate? Have you run a series of check weights and verified this miraculous balance?

#29 ·
Chargemaster copy?

I was at the Indy 1500 gun show last weekend looking for a powder scale. One vendor had a clone of the RCBS Chargemaster for $189. Of course the pitch was that it was better than the RCBS and they all come from the same place in China. It was yellow and did the same thing.

Anyone have experience with one of these?

Bob

#32 ·
I see nothing wrong with your current scale. You should be able to go from
0 - 500gns ???
Any bullet you are loading should fall between that...right ???

If you want one..I would suggest a RCBS 10-10 scale or I also use a RCBS 1500 Chargemaster combo...It will do a great job for just about anything but cost is a little high?

Don2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.