1911Forum banner

PX9109LP Loaded

11K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Gloofy 
#1 · (Edited)
Please chime in with personal experience if you've owned this issue.
Also if yours is, or was, a "NM" model.
I'm surprised how much I like mine, it did requre some personal attention.

Also please elaborate. If you had problems, be specific about the problems and what you did to solve them.
If weapon suits you, and you like it, tell WHY you like it.

Thanks for taking time to contribute to Forum

#5 ·
The PX9109LP is not a Champion. It is the 5" Loaded Parkerized. And I'm not really looking to sort through a lot of Q&A.

Just looking for honest comments, and short review opinions, from R/T owners.
Curious how many like theirs, regret theirs, modified, etc.;)

#3 ·
I have been shooting this gun in IDPA pretty much for six years. I have changed some things but mainly to suit my tastes or to make me feel better.

I put VZ slim grips, Warren/Sevigny sights, magwell, wilson extractor,
GI guide rod and spring and changed the trigger to a black one just because I wanted too.
The only mechanical issues I ever had was my plunger tube came loose. I ordered a new one and the little tool and fixed it myself.
My gun looks amazingly good for 1000's of draws from a kydex holster. Just some minor finish wear.

Attachments

#6 ·
Shoot, ya know I want one but only loaded I have is a PX9151LP, the stainless model of yours, and of course "NM" prefix. Outside of being extraordinarily sharp on the edges and a two piece factory guide rod that loosens up every 200-300 rounds....It's perfect!
Shiny guns make me squint! FLGR's ...I collect them, remind me to bring you some, next time I see ya!

#8 ·
You ain't kiddin but for a first Father's day Present, whatta ya say, "No thanks", lol. And yes you do have a fine FLGR collection, as I recall the two you have gave up from TRP's to me in the past with caps, and thank you. I am still trying to figure out what I'll do with the last one you gave me with cap.... :)

And don't forget about that Series I all minty fresh I'd swap ya for that Loaded of yours, offer is always on the table, my friend. That Loaded felt too good in my hand, plus I got too many Series I's ;) Soon I will be able to report on my NM Park Loaded....soon. :cool:

#7 · (Edited)
I have one....
Have about 2000 rounds down the pipe and have done several of my own 'mods'. All of them were done starting at around 500 rounds. The gun have been flawless as far as functionality goes. I have no complaints whatsoever. Mine was an N frame (fully an Imbel gun).

Mods:
VZ grips (if you consider that a mod).
Removed ILS housing and replaced with S&A magwell housing with 19# Wolf mainspring.
Replaced barrel busing with an EGW thick flange angled bore one that was measured/fitted to OD of barrel & ID of slide.
Replaced trigger with 10-8 Performance flat trigger.
Replaced hammer, sear, disconnect & sear spring w/Cylinder & Slide Super Match trigger group.
Replaced front & rear sights - went with Novak FO front & Novak extra-wide notch all black rear (no dots).

These are some of the latest pics (although I do not yet have a pic of it with the new sights):

Trigger pull is now at 3.75# after the Super Match group from C&S was installed. It was an excellent gun for the money before these mods & now it is outstanding!

#9 · (Edited)
Have had my park'd Loaded since 2003 - "N" s/n.

The bad:

Trigger was at least 9lbs

The bushing was .004" smaller than the slide and .004" larger than the barrel.

The plunger tube loosened after a few hundred rounds.

Accuracy was 4"-5" from a rest.

The good:

The slide had very little side-side and vertical play on the frame, so the rattling was minimal.

There was also no overhang at the rear of the slide and the extractor was cut flush with the slide.

After fitting a new bushing, with only .0015" clearance between barrel and .001" on the slide, I can easily shoot sub 2" grps at 25yds rested.

I also have a 2008 stainless Loaded that was, by far, worse in every way. That one went back to Springfield and came back much better looking and better fitted, and is just as accurate as the park'd version.

I've learned my lesson, I will never buy another Springfield without going over it 100%, or buy one sight unseen.

#10 ·
I've had my NM parkerized loaded for about 1 1/2 years now, just going over 1,000 rounds.
It was a very tight gun all around with what I felt was a good tactical trigger weight. There was a slight difference in the finish from slide to frame but I plan on wearing it out anyway.
It shot better than me till about 500 rounds then accuracy went out the window and I started getting FTF's, not a bunch but maybe 5 rounds out of a box. Sent it in to Springfield. They replaced the sights, said they were loose, throated the chamber and polished the feed ramp as well as a trigger job for my trouble I guess.
From there to about 800 rounds it started an odd malfunction, the nose of the round would jam against the top of the chamber about every third or fourth time from slidelock and only on the first round, load 6 and it doesn't happen, skip the slide release and slingshot and there is never a problem.
Sent it in again, they polished the throat some more, fired 9 mags through it and sent it back( I had a short trigger installed at the custom shop and they made adjustments to the grip safety)
The first round from slidelock ended up stovepiped with the bullet sticking up and the case a bit out of round. I've been through over 200 rounds and continue to see issues from slidelock on a topped off 7 round mag, ten rounders have not been an issue. I have not made it through 5 mags in a row without a jam from slidelock, lots of lube, grease, oil, shock buffer, no shock buffer, is it just me? No experienced shooters have the same issue with it.
It has been a very accurate gun now and the trigger feels great but I find myself wondering if I want to let them try again or just trade it off and cut my losses, I invested heavily in Springfield mags with the idea the gun should be most reliable with the makers mag and if not they will fix it.:grumble:
I love the look, love the feel, but need some reliability!

#12 ·
Just ordered my PX9109LP "NM" Loaded Parkerized from Dustin over at Eagle Guns in Concord, NC for $770 shipped Unopened/Unhandled NIB 2012 model with super-sized case and night sights. Got a buddy that's an FFL bringin her in for me so for $790 shipped and transfered and gas to get to FFL, I will have one NIB here shortly (pymnt goes out today) to report on. :)

#14 ·
My loaded..."N" model

Well bought my loaded, and from day one ran 100 or so rounds down the pipe and not one issue....
Till i notice the trigger was sloppy as it would move up and down more than i like so i bought a nighthawk trigger and was really suprise that the trigger was perfticly fitted and it move like butter on a knife...
So, on to replacing the MSH with S&A Mag Guide slim with 20lp and a #252 Nowlin mainspring 19.5 ...

I Still need to go shoot after these parts have been installed,but everthing function check good...

At this point i have about 600 rounds down the pipe...

#16 ·
I bought my PX9109LP with the intention of making a full house custom from it, so I have limited experience with it before the transformation. The day I picked it up I took it to the range to function test it (ran a perfect 100 rounds of WWB through it), then dropped it off at the gunsmith. It is an NM frame and the frame to slide fit was so tight you'd think they were super glued together. The trigger was about 5lbs and had very little creep to it. That's about all I remember from the "before" state. In it's "after" state it is by far the smoothest, most accurate 1911 I've ever shot and is the other love of my life...

I also have a PX9151LP that I shot for a few years before I went full house custom on it. This one is an N frame but was also very tight in the frame to slide fitment. The barrel bushing wore out prematurely and the accuracy went to hell. Part of that was do to a lockup problem where the slide would be forward nearly a quarter of an inch while in battery. Springfield fixed it under warranty so it was no big deal. It was a great shooter before the custom work, and now it is hard to put down.

#19 ·
I've had mine since March. Purchased from Buds on layaway. I've put about 600 rounds through it without any issues. Once I get my reloading setup going (need components and a work station), it will be shot a lot more. The AR and the 1911 compete for range time, and the kids are out of school for the summer, so playtime is limited right now.

When I get my credit cards paid off, its going to Geneseo for some custom stuff like a gold bead front sight and checkered front strap. As of now, it needs nothing for function.

#27 ·
I got one for $415 in February 2012. It was made middle to late 2011 (night sights dated 2010 and 2011) and has an NM serial#

Please consider this before I go on; I have 2 TRP's. One is stock SS and the other was an AK model that was sent to Carniak Custom to have a C&S 3.5lb trigger, the action was smoothed up, GI Guide Rod/Plug, extractor tuned, rear slide checkered and last but not least Ionbond's DLC finish.

When I take out a 1911 to show off to my range buddies I take the DLC TRP. Wonderful pistol, my favorite actually.

All of this said, I've been fondling the PX9109LP over the last few weeks. Trying out new grips, dry firing, cycling dummy rounds and working the action.

Finally took her out for only the second time last weekend and... Wow!

Had to go back to get more ammo :biglaugh:

It shoots amazing, has a smooth action, fantastic trigger ~5lb clean break, cycles ammo that jams in my $1600 Custom TRP. I'm stunned...

I HIGHLY recommend this model to anyone looking at one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.