1911Forum banner

01923E questions 9x23

4K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  dakota1911 
#1 ·
I have found a very nice Colt in town and don't know anything about this model. The gun has adjustable sight, checkered front strap, skel trigger. It is new unfired in 9x23. Every other 9x23 does not have these options to compare. It also has a satin blue finish or polished blue. What do you guys think? Any info?

#2 ·
nice gun, read up on the cartridge. It is very powerful, much like a long version of 9mm but 125gr at 1475 fps will do alot more damage. Probably a bit of a stretch for a shooter unless you are a reloader due to cost and scarcity. You could easily invest in a 38 super barrel and have lots of fun with it.

#6 · (Edited)
I believe that pistol has been worked on outside of Colt as I have a 9x23 Series '80 Colt. The pistols shipped from Colt with the standard "enhanced" package of the time, including three-dot fixed sights and a plain front strap with an undercut trigger guard. The finish was a very matte blue. The adjustable sights and checkered front strap suggest a smith worked on that pistol.

#9 · (Edited)
There were two 9x23 models I believe... One was the standard GM with fixed sights and was I believe an Enhanced flat top. The second one had Gold Cup style sights, the ACCRO not the Eliason.. If it is nice condition as was said above, I just saw a LNIB standard model sell for $1500 on GunBroker a few days ago. One of these with the GC style sights are very rare.

With the 9mm, 9x23 or .38 Super as a base gun all you need to do is change barrels, springs and sometimes magazines to have a three caliber gun. Add a good .22 Conversion Unit and you have a 4 caliber go anywhere setup.

I've chronoed 9x23 Winchester 125 STHPs at 1440 fps and the white box soft points at 1460...that is a full .357 Magnum in a much easier to control 10 shot semi-auto...

Bob

#10 ·
Is it possible it's a Special Combat?

#14 ·
Nice enhanced gun that shows evidence of nice work. The trigger, grip safety, sights, and grips have been replaced. It also appears that the barrel bushing may have been replaced based on the thickness of the bushing that can be seen in the picture.

Serial number should start with "FR" and end with "E".

Enjoy shooting it. I love mine.

#21 ·
...not a Special Combat Government but with a $250 set of BoMar sights and probably match bushing and barrel you are ahead of the game for a shooter...

What kind of ammo did you get with it...also wondering how the barrel hood is marked...

Nice gun!!..

Bob

#24 ·
tnob, if that gun is as nice as it looks in the photo, I'd have bought it at that price in a New York minute. The 9X23 is an impressive cartridge that I wish had been more of a commercial success, but it was not to be. As I already had the .38 Super, I was not that interested myself when it was announced. I now realize the error of my ways. I rarely see 1911s with practical modifications by a competent gunsmith offered for sale. Good for you, Very nice gun!

#25 ·
Thanks. Makes me feel a little better about the buy. Wouldn't have been so bad if it was the only one I purchased but he also had a Stainless I had to have. Hard for me to say no to a nice Colt. The 9x23 is the nicest Colt I have seen in person and the pics do it no justice.

#26 ·
Am I confused or aren't the 38super and 9x23 almost identical cartridges?

#27 · (Edited)
Close. Their length is the same. The 38 Super is straight walled, the 9X23 is tapered.

The 9X23 was designed to achieve Major power factor for practical shooting sports, and to be able to do that in a conventional, unsupported (non-ramped) barrel. The 9X23 case has VERY thick walls near the head for that reason. Pics for comparison can be seen at the link below.

http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

The factory 9X23 round screams (124/125 gr @ 1450 fps) compared to the 38 Super (130 gr @ 1215 fps).

EDIT

I should add that their operating pressure limits are very different. The 9X23 has a limit of 55,000 psi and the 38 Super limit is 36,500 psi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.