1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[No title]

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  LW McVay 
#1 · (Edited)
You have been asked to relay your concerns to the administration of the board and not flame the staff of the forum in public.

Cleaned up and made moderator friendly.

"About this forum. I am irritated by the actions of some. I have seen real talents banned. Some cant stand to have someone disagree. How communistic of them. What keyboard commandos. Get a life! There are always many opinions. Many of the same mind as me like to hear these opinions but they are cut short because some disagree. It is a right to disagree. Information is there as a take it or leave it. It is no ones place to decide on the worthiness of information! Move to Russia or China if you feel that way. Its like a radio station, don't like the response, skip it. I do not need my information spoon fed and decided for me! This forum has become to heavy handed. Think I'm wrong, take a poll.

I think I will creat my own forum. One with a newbie section and a private pro section. The pros can make the decision on who they help or they can battle it out behind closed doors if they wish. I'm not their momma, they are men and can handle themselves just like the newbies can decide for themselves what info is good or bad. Take it or leave it. Dear moderator, unless your name is Jack W. please consider that you may not be the authority on what opinion is right or wrong. You are a traffic cop that is here to make sure the rules which are basic and simple are evenly applied, not applied to those you dislike and not applied to those you like."
:rolleyes:

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree with Shane45 on this one when it comes to the moderating on the Gunsmithing Talk section. Too much can be a bad thing. In the past few months lots of posts have been deleted. It is clear who a moderator likes and dislikes. We are all big boys and can take care of ourselves. Nobody is forced to take any advice. There are lots of different personalities that clash here. Rules are good but lets don't get carried away.

This is an informative and entertaining site. Let everyone express themselves in their own way.

Ed.

#3 ·
OK so what do you do when the staff in a section may be the problem and the board owner never responds?

#4 · (Edited)
The other day a new guy came into the forum asking about building a parts gun. Your hero Dave grilled him for wanting to build a parts gun and went into his normal spell about "I do everything perfect but I don't do work for idiots". This is normal for Dave. If Dave and Teddy would have stuck to answering the questions without using inflammatory language, then we wouldn't be having this discussion would we?

The gunsmithing forum is for sharing information on gunsmithing, the actual act of modifying a firearm. It is not intended for stories about sitting in patrol cars, seeing white elephants, how mediocre all of the other smiths in the world are, how stupid people are these days, or for ranting to pump your ego and get attention. People get tired of sifting through stupidity to get an answer on a gunsmithing question. We have a general forum for Dave to tell his stories in and we have an informal policy of helping people, not telling them they are idiots for asking questions.

I delete portions of threads because once again, people get tired of sifting through the crap to get the answer they are looking for. I deleted Dave's reponse in the post mentioned above and the others jumping back on Dave and it turned into an excellent and informative thread.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17575

Why leave the crap in the forum just so people don't moan about heavy handed moderation?

I don't make the rules here. Go to rule #1 in the rules section and you will see exactly why Teddy and Dave were banned...calling people idiots is a personal attack, belittling the other smiths in the forum is a personal attack specifically covered under insulting one's abilities. Doing it repeatedly after being asked to stop is childish and out of line. As I told you privately Shane, banning is a group decision and I don't even have access to the ban button. I don't have any favorites and it isn't obvious who I like or dislike....it isn't obvious to me that I like of dislike any of you. I guess I did like Dave and maybe that is why his stay was as long as it was BUT, if he won't try to work with us then I can't keep letting it slide while he runs off the other "real talents" that make this forum good.

It is obvious that I usually received emails and reported posts when Dave and Teddy were involved. It was obvious that many people were tired of their antics, and I have been thanked by numerous people after we put a stop to it. If you guys truly were adults and could handle yourselves, then I wouldn't have been receiving these complaints through email and reported posts.

This is a 1911 specific gun forum. The gunsmithing forum is more specific yet. This isn't a free speech forum or a "look at how much of an ass I can be" forum. Hardcoretalk has free speech forum if that is what you are after. You are going to have to accept the fact that you don't have equal access. Go start your own forum and you decide how it works over there.

You should probably look up the word "moderator" since you seem to have such an issue with my interpretation of what the job responsibilities are.

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=moderator

The one at the very bottom is most relevant.

#6 ·
Whining, now that is a ******** personal attack remark. You should ban yourself. My e-mails to the owner were very simple basic questions involving no one inparticuler. They involved board ploicy and decisions regarding the online class which I am sure you are well aware of. I havent mentioned ANY other moderators.

#7 ·
1911Forum is someone else's house that I visit from time to time. I enjoy most of what I read and see here, and I appreciate being allowed in to post.

Wherever you go Shane you will find favoritism toward some, dislike toward others. It is no more well hidden on this forum than on other sites. Moderators protect the subjects they enjoy, stoke the coals of threads they want, no matter if the thread becomes one filled with innuendo and pettiness. Threads about one custom builder have become pretty good sport here. Violate rule #1? Nah, the real rule #1 is one we all know...if you own it you make the rules. Which is the way it should be.

I did not know Dave and Teddy were banned. That is too bad. Have learned from both of them.

#8 ·
Bruce, that is my point exactly. Info is what I seek and I really dont care how its delivered. I have not seen one "Pro" run off be the Evil T and D. They all seem to still be here. I enjoy reading from everyone from the Idiot to the Genious. Now lets get down to getting my 1.5 pound trigger on my lorcin. Nowdont anyone tell me this is a bad idea in your opinion, you may get banned.

#9 · (Edited)
So now you assume that you know all that was contained in my personal communications with other members of the forum on top of assuming that all 7000 members want to be subjected to Teddy and Dave. Even if You, Bruce, and Ed are all in agreement on this, you are still considerably outnumbered.

And considering how you started this thread...I find it amusing that you think the word "whining" is such a terrible offense.

You don't see people being run off because your name isn't on there as moderator...so you aren't included on the reported posts and people don't generally email you with their concerns.

So add that to the list of things that you can't have your way so you can whine about that also.

#10 · (Edited)
Bruce,

If there are threads that concern you about a certain custom builder being made sport of....or others....there is a reporting option on each post as well as links to the entire staffs emails throughout the forum.

I haven't received any messages from you that I can recall so I think this is the first I have heard about these concerns. Help us find it if we missed it and we'll address it. Unfortunately, it is hard to read all of the threads anymore because I spend so much time dealing with petty stuff.

#11 ·
Shane45,
Ok...so you don't like the way JamesP moderates. Why not become a moderator yourself? Ever thought about that? Or maybe its just a little too easy and fun to throw bombs instead of doing something useful.

One other thing...it might be useful for you to follow a "chain of command" concept. You have heard of that right? If the Moderator ain't cutting it in your opinion, why not contact an Administrator first before jumping to the Owner of the site? Some call it chain of command, others call it courtesy. By the way for anyone that cares, Jason did in fact respond to Shane45...but of course, Shane never followed up. Amazing! :rolleyes:

Lastly, don't ever call one of the Moderators here a "********'. You only show your ass and pendantic attitude. We don't call people names and expect the same from other Members here. And..."I won't tolerate rude behavior in a man." (a quote from Cpt. Call of Lonesome Dove fame - a wonderful mini-series by the way) These Moderators work far harder than you ever thought about while keeping this Forum a decent and honorable place to visit. Don't like it here...See Ya! Might try www.hardcoretalk.com or some other drivel. I don't need to go into all the stuff about a private forum and the first amendment and all that hoopla for you do I?

And yes, I am pulling the plug on you. If you should want to reconsider, I'm all ears...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.