1911Forum banner

S&W 1911 E-Series SC

9K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  kazman123 
#1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a new E-Series SC and will be adding Crimson Trace LG-907 Master Series laser grips. I have laser grips on my Performance Center guns 1911 and TRR8 .357 Mag. TRR8 also has a Trijicon RMR 3.25 MOA.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Some more pics

Attachments

#3 ·
I'm impressed with Smith I purchased a SW1911Sc on 3/1/2011 got home that night found out the front night sight wasn't working emailed them the next day. They have one in route to me. I'm impressed. I was looking at the Dan Wesson VBob but the Smith about 800 cheaper and it shoots great.

#4 ·
#6 ·
I bet that looks nice

#8 ·
Thanks, Big! I really like your quote in your signature - to funny. I'm going to remember that one.

#12 ·
S&W E Series

Hi Folks,

I have several of the first generation S&W 1911's and have only had a safety plunger work its way loose on two of the five. Never had any failure to feed - they just work for me, which is why I guess I stick with them (of course I love the way they look too). When the E series came out I had to try one, especially after trying the little Pro Series 3", then a second, and then a third. Talk about OCD!! The funny thing is that some of the slides are tight as a cork in a 100 year old bottle of wine, and some downright rattle, but all shoot unbelievable groups.

I do have one Commander E series I might send in because the extractor pin looks low in the frame. I don't know if it is moving, which would not be a good thing, so I will send a couple pics to S&W and ask them to advise. I also have found their customer service to be SUPERB. I can hit anything with a 1911, and with a Glock style trigger, I'm better off throwing the gun at the target. Anyone know how how much slide play is abnormal, or are scandium guns prone to more slide play?

#13 ·
I wished I had held off on getting my lightweight Colt Commander and gotten a bob-tailed all black SC like Col. Colt's. That is a sharp looking gun, the serrations and bob tail have really grown on me since they first came out. Add a black flat trigger and call it done for me.

#14 ·
New Bobtail

I just got my second commander E series and they are very nice (both black). I have the scandium PD in the commander size which is somewhat an identical gun with the exception of the bobtail and obvious E series stuff, but the bobtail, as small a piece removed as it is, makes the gun look much more compact and smaller than the older generation. Maybe its just a visual trick, but for some reason it looks and carries like a much smaller gun.. I also use a flush 8 rd mag and no more rib irritation from that point like the standard PD. I keep a second mag with a bump plate in a leather sleeve in my back pocket for quick reload

One interesting thing I want to check into later - has anyone felt the Kobra Carry with the thin grips? I was really amazed at how much smaller the pistol felt with thinner grips. Once again, reducing the bulkiness of the 1911. Hopefully someone will make some thin grips for the E series in the future. I would at least like to try it, but understand that the grommets must be changed to low profile as well. Anyone have any info on thin grips for the E series?

I will eventually get the Kobra - not anytime soon, but I would like to shoot one of the best of the best once in my lifetime to see if there is really a difference. It sure looked nice, but $2900 buys a couple really good guns and lots of ammo, holsters, accessories, etc. I am soundly very happy with S&W products, especially their 1911's. The only thing that could make me happier is if they would make their stainless guns with stainless safeties, beavertails, plungers, etc.

#15 · (Edited)
New Bobtail

I just got my second commander E series and they are very nice (both black). I have the scandium PD in the commander size which is somewhat an identical gun with the exception of the bobtail and obvious E series stuff, but the bobtail, as small a piece removed as it is, makes the gun look much more compact and smaller than the older generation. Maybe its just a visual trick, but for some reason it looks and carries like a much smaller gun.. I also use a flush 8 rd mag and no more rib irritation from that point like the standard PD. I keep a second mag with a bump plate in a leather sleeve in my back pocket for quick reload

One interesting thing I want to check into later - has anyone felt the Kobra Carry with the thin grips? I was really amazed at how much smaller the pistol felt with thinner grips. Once again, reducing the bulkiness of the 1911. Hopefully someone will make some thin grips for the E series in the future. I would at least like to try it, but understand that the grommets must be changed to low profile as well. Anyone have any info on thin grips for the E series?

I will eventually get the Kobra - not anytime soon, but I would like to shoot one of the best of the best once in my lifetime to see if there is really a difference. It sure looked nice, but $2900 buys a couple really good guns and lots of ammo, holsters, accessories, etc. I am soundly very happy with S&W products, especially their 1911's. The only thing that could make me happier is if they would make their stainless guns with stainless safeties, beavertails, plungers, etc.

#19 ·
Required Tools

Yes, the pistol came with the Allen wrench. Just shot my primary bobtail this weekend and put 300rds of FMJ 230 through it. No problems. I am really liking the pistol. I hope S&W makes a full size scandium E series. The weight savings is noticeable and I really don't notice recoil differences between the scandium commander and my steel Kimber commander. Now shooting Corbon DPX 185grn through any of the pistols - commander up through full size is stout, but not unpleasant.

So far having good reliable performance from the E series as well as their first gen 1911's. One day I'm going to try a Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Wilson just to see if there are obvious differences in quality and shooting dynamics, but that will be a couple years down the road. The one very cool thing is whether you are a purist or like variations and variety, the 1911 is so versatile and as relevant as ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.