1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevada Non-Resident CCW Permit

10K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  hobbyshooter 
#1 ·
Have to go to Nevada for business. Turns out they don't honor my Ohio permit. It looks like they have a non-resident CCW permit, but I can't figure out if my gun-school training certificates will cover it?

Meaning do I have to go out to Clark county and take a class at the Sheriff's office or qualify in person?

Also, Frontsite is not an option this trip. Already looked into it. :bawling:

Regards,
Greyson

#2 ·
I don't know if this is an option for you, but the Utah permit is good in Nevada (that's what those of us in Arizona get). It's a five hour class, no qualification to shoot. Send in the notarized paperwork, a passport photo, a fingerprint card and the fee (I think around $70.00). Make sure you familiarize yourself with Nevada CCW law. It's much different than in AZ and I would imagine, Ohio, too.

#5 ·
Nevada requires specific training done in state. Most of the major ranges/shops around town offer the course. It's an all day thing, plus qualifying with the gun(s) you wish to carry.

Florida and Utah are (relatively) easy to get. I didn't renew my Florida permit because Utah was (much) cheaper, covers me everywhere I want to go, and didn't require a new fingerprint card.

This reminds me, I need to take the refresher class and re-qualify for my (soon to expire) Nevada permit. At least the refresher class is only a half-day (plus qualification with guns I wish to carry).

Robert

Oh, what ever you do, don't apply for your nonresident permit in Clark County. They are the least gun-friendly and take the longest (Las Vegas Metro PD, our sheriff's office).

#7 ·
I have my Nevada CCW though Washoe County.
Class is about 4 hours and then about 1 hour at the range to qualify with each handgun you want on the permit.
Then you must go to the sheriffs office to fill out the paperwork and get finger printed. Very easy and everyone is Super freindly even though they know I live in California :cool:

#9 ·
Very easy and everyone is Super freindly even though they know I live in California
Nah, they don't care. The only difference is it's good for 3 years and the resident one is 5 years.

Greyson, come to Pahrump sometime. The class is easy and it took 10 days to get my permit. In Vegas it took over 4 months!

#12 ·
I may do that. But I won't be there before Nevada. So it looks like Florida is my best short term choice. But I have a problem.

I got on the Florida website and requested a permit application. They say to expect it in two weeks! Well, I have just less than two months to get this going so I am fearful the paperwork won't get here in time.

So, does anyone have a Florida packet they could send me or know where I can find it on the Internet? Everything I have looked at just points to the request page.

I would pay to have someone priority mail me a packet.

Regards,
Greyson

#10 ·
Utah permit

I've had a Utah permit for about 7 years and was very happy when Nevada decided in 2007 to recognize Utah and several other state CCW permits. I made a trip to Nevada in late 2007 and spent several days there. I carried the whole time on the strength of the Utah permit, and was glad of it.

Nevada is quite an interesting place, and will probably be getting more tourism from CCW carriers now.

#16 ·
This is an interesting discussion. So I have a question for the Nevada residents and permit holders. The above posts have mentioned taking the training with the firearm you intend to carry. I have heard that the Nevada permit will list all of the firearms the holder is authorized to carry by serial number. Is this true, partially true, or false?

Also, does anyone have or know where to look for the list of State permits that Nevada will honor? I am a transplanted Nevadan and visit a couple times a year. So being able to carry using my now home state permit would be a benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.