1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is a .380 cal good enough for conceal carry?

36K views 241 replies 109 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 ·
I want to get some input from members on this topic. I've bought a Ruger LCP .380 recently and love the gun as it it so small and comfortable and it just slips in my back pocket. I mainly bought it for summer use and for occasions when I need to run to the store and do not feel like carry my Kimber Ultra II. But now I'm thinking about using my Ruger as my primary carry weapon as it is to so small and comfortable. I've read from people that they are concerned that the .380 is not a big enough caliber for CC. I personally think it is as long as you use the right ammo. I carry the Horndaddy Personal Defense ammo in mine. I will tell you what I would not want to get shot with a .380 or any caliber. Chances are I'll probably will never have to use my gun in a defensive situation but if I do I think the .380 will do the job. Hell it has worked all this time for James Bond!:biglaugh:

Please give my your thoughts and be safe. :rock:m

#6 ·
Picture this...

A 350 pound, muscle bound ex-convict with a history of violence and rape has just demanded that you hand over your beautiful 17 year old daughter.

Is that cute little 380 gonna do the job?

If so, your good to go.

If not, maybe you should consider carrying something more effective in a worse case scenario.

#8 ·
Big_Jim, are you that big 350 lbs ex-convict?:biglaugh: By the way I wouldn't have to worry about him wanting my 17 daughter as I have 2 boys. The main reason that I carry is not to kill someone but to give me an edge to slow down the attacker so I can get away. :rock:

#9 ·
guess it's better than nothing... personally, I don't carry anything less than a .38 +P.

just heard too many stories of even 9mm, .40, .45, etc failing to immediately stop BG's.... makes the .380 just seem like too much of a gamble, even with well placed shots.

when I look around and see zero LEO's carrying .380's as a primary duty weapon, it sets off a warning in my head. if it isn't good enough for them, it's not good enough for me.

.380 as a BUG may be a different story, but as a primary carry? no way.

-JJ

#70 ·
Of course that will work. I carry an LCP as my primary carry always. I'm sure a thug isn't going to realize that he is getting shot by a bullet that is 0.096 smaller than a .45! (.451-.355). Also, with its size, you are more likely to carry it with you everywhere, rather than leaving it on the table.
The frontal area of a .45 is .16 square inches. The frontal area of
a 380 is .10 square inches.

A .45 slug is 230 grains. A 380 slug is 95 grains.

A .45 slug will break through bone. A 380 slug will be deflected by
bone.

The thug will notice the 45. He might notice the 4th or 5th 380.

Joe

#14 ·
Shot placement fellas,more people killed with .22 than anything else.One shot to the head with any caliber will kill someone.I saw it with my own eyes,one shot in the forehead by an inexperienced shooter(my girlfriend at the time) and they carried him out on a stretcher and had to unplug him the next day.It was deemed justifiable by LE.Saved her and probably my life.I feel more than safe with .380 loaded with buffalo bore.It is very close to 9mm in energy.Besides a .380 in your pocket is much better than a .44 at home!Carry what you are comfotabe with and practice shot placement as much as you can afford.

#18 ·
Shot placement fellas,more people killed with .22 than anything else.One shot to the head with any caliber will kill someone.I saw it with my own eyes,one shot in the forehead by an inexperienced shooter(my girlfriend at the time) and they carried him out on a stretcher and had to unplug him the next day.It was deemed justifiable by LE.Saved her and probably my life.
glad you both are OK...

question: did the BG go down immediately upon being hit?

-JJ

#15 · (Edited)
Around and around it goes...........

I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 in a small camera back pack because of it's size and as well as the guns inherent accuracy, in my hand at least. My BHP and any of my current 1911's are just to big for that purpose (non carry state and like to keep it real low key) although one of them is as close as the car, if need be.......while the .380 rides on me.

As mentioned above, anything is better than nothing, but if you are going with a .380 learn to hit as well as you can. A lot may depend upon hitting a vital spot, when and if possible. Also, as you indicated, use good solid SD ammo.

In the end, do what you need to do in way of a caliber choice.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

#16 ·
It wouldn't be my first choice, but i've watched enough First 48 and Crime 360 to realize that many of those murders were committed using .380's. Im obviously not advocating any type of violence, and my condolences to the families of the innocent victims, but imo .380's seem to be able to get the job done if need be.

#240 ·
My wife favorite show! Years ago I carried a Mustang with 5 rnds no extra mag. in summers as hard to hide a larger gun. I later gave it to the wife but soon got her a 5 shot airweight S&W SS hammerless.

#17 · (Edited)
Yes.....as long as you recognize and accept the limitations. Expect to have to make several well placed hits at very close range. You are trading power for ease of carry. Every firearm ever designed is a compromise. Make yours intelligently and I can't fault you.

#20 ·
I wouldn't feel to unarmed with a .380. In fact, I'm thinking of getting a Walther PK380 to match my P22 plinker. I think it's the minimum caliber for personal carry, at least in a crowded city setting.

That said, I think it's a matter of tactics. I don't anticipate going into a prolonged shootout with my j-frame. If confronted on the streets in a life and death situation, I plan on popping two quick shots point blank at my assailant(s) to delay/stun them long enough for me to take off in the other direction and call for help. They'd have to crazy to follow me.

Absolute concealment is also a requirement as well. Permits to carry are an extreme privilege in this state and there are cases of law-biding citizens whose LTC's were revoked because they didn't simply weren't able to conceal their guns properly and some moonbat reported them.

#24 ·
Aside from the caliber/energy debate. One thing to consider is, how well do you shoot the little pocket guns?

Some of the smaller ones are difficult to shoot well, unless the range is close.

I will carry a .380 on occasion, but usually I feel better with a larger caliber and easier handling gun.

What I carry, depends largely on what I will be wearing and where I am going.

#28 ·
Cause we all know in a gunfight we have all the time in the world to make that perfect shot.

We will never have to shoot through a shoulder or arm to get into the chest cavity.
We can just choose which eye we want to hit.

If you can hit the eye everytime, I would suggest dropping down to a .25. They are even smaller.

#29 ·
I would carry a .22LR before over .380 because a .22LR has much better penetration than people think.

If I was going to carry something smaller than a .45acp, I would find a small 9mm. I have not looked in a while but I would guess there are some really small ones on the market today.

Just my thoughts.

PS, On COPS I saw a big black guy complaining he was in pain while waiting for a squad after a woman shot him point blank in the upper chest with a .380, he had a buldge above his shoulder blade where the bullet had stopped.

He was not jacked up on drugs or anything.

#30 ·
In the early 1960's 22RF's were legal forhunting deer in southern Michigan. I happened to kill a deer with a 22 Short CB - it was a lucky shot. In the early 20th century S&W advertised that more people good and bad were killed with their 32's than any other caliber. By extrapolation the 380 should work even if it's not ideal. I opted for a S&W 642 (38 Special) or a Kahr PM-9 (9mm) for pocket carry.

#32 ·

The minimal caliber I carry for self defense is a 9mm loaded with +P+ JHP bullets. I like my carry weapons to have at least 400 ft. lbs. of energy, but preferably 500+ft lbs. from the muzzle. There are quite a few small, lightweight 9mm's that are a much better choice, such as the Kel-Tec P9.

I would carry a .380 if I didn't have any other options, but wouldn't want to bet my life on it!:)

#36 ·
The minimal caliber I carry for self defense is a 9mm loaded with +P+ JHP bullets. I like my carry weapons to have at least 400 ft. lbs. of energy, but preferably 500+ft lbs. from the muzzle. There are quite a few small, lightweight 9mm's that are a much better choice, such as the Kel-Tec P9.

I would carry a .380 if I didn't have any other options, but wouldn't want to bet my life on it!:)
Can that little Kel-Tec handle +P+ rounds? I don't even know how I would feel about putting them in my Glock.

#34 ·
I carry a P238 .380 pretty much everywhere with me, but 95% of the time, it is a BUG to my Tactical Ultra II or my Glock 19. It just isn't as accurate as either of those guns, but its better than not carrying, and like you said, I wouldn't want to be shot with it, and I doubt many others would want to be shot with it either.

#35 ·
Better then nothing.

LCP is fine and beats the pistol you won't carry because of size, weight and concealability. I think adding a laser sight also helps! If a bad guy intends to do you harm having a laser pointed at them may throw them off.

As far as stopping power, as stated, really comes down to shot placement, this is the case of any firearm.

#56 ·
I agree! Now if you guys hate the 380 wait till you hear what I carry. Walther PP a 32. Now the reason why, it fits very well in my pocket, works every time, have a nice holster and I shoot it very well. I have a glock 27 in a 40 but I haven't found the right rig for it yet and my Sig 1911 has a rail and that's a pain also. If I knew I was going to have a problem I would carry more caliber. Someday I may but I love the pp and again so easy to take.

Now for another comment: Why do I carry? Anyone who has a permit in my mind has an obligation to carry all the time. The reason is that you may have to protect yourself, loved one or even a stranger. Yes in this world it is true. Would I want someone to come help me with 50 cal yes but if all they had was a 32 I would be very happy.

So my .02 cents carry what you handle well and will take all the time. If it is a knife okay if it is a Ruger Redhawk hats off.

Joe

#38 ·
9mm +P+ ammo

The Kel Tec pistols can be used with +P, but not on a regular basis. The 9mm +P+ ammo I use is in an all steel frame pistol called a Firestar. The Firestar is a little larger than the Kel Tec P-11, but heavier. The slide length is 5.5" and the height from the bottom of the grip to the top of the slide is 4.25". It is a very accurate and reliable weapon in a very compact size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.