1911Forum banner

EB 45 on order,what configuration?

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  carlnm45 
#1 ·
Well, I have about (5) weeks to go before my gun ships. It's a Special Forces, Stealth Grey no other options. If I can get them added what other options are recommended? Extended Mag Well, 10-8 rear sights? It is a home defense weapon and I will most likely put laser sights on the gun. Not planning to go crazy, just make practical and abit special. THANKS

#2 ·
A 10-8 rear sight with an XS big dot system would probably make a nice combo for HD. Doesn't seem like many people like the size of Brown's front tritium night sight.

I wouldn't tell you not to get the maxiwell, tho I didnt when I ordered my gun, but I will have one installed and blended by a local shop in the very near future.

Also, if you want to make a bit more special, I'd see if it's not too late to get an engraved barrel bushing done up..you get up to 8 or 9 letters/numbers if you want to put your last name or a special date or anything else you can think of on it. I had my last name engraved on my Special Forces' bushing..

One last thing, any order changes have the possibility of delaying the delivery of the pistol. Just something to think about, but I still say do what you want the first time and be done with it. If it takes a little longer, it'll be worth it once you have the gun in hand done just the way you wanted.

#3 ·
I personally think the crowned barrel looks fresh. It really gives the gun a clean look to it. Its really up to you though. Whatever you think looks good go for it. There's almost no limit when it comes to Ed Brown. Truly.

#6 ·
Harley Rider, I am aware of the $25 charge for changes. What I do not know, is that $25 for each item to be changed or can I make a number of changes for at the time for $25? And you may be right concerning the timing for any proposed changes.

When I originally ordered the gun I was not aware of what changes to even ask for. I may get on the phone tomorrow and ask about (3) changes that I have an interest in, Extended Mag Well, 10-8 sights, & Extended Mag Release. Those along with Stealth Grey color scheme and (2) extra 8 rd mags should do it.

#8 ·
I just got my SF about a month ago. LOVE IT! I totally forgot about the extended mag release. DOH! I ordered one and fitted it myself. It works for me, but I'm thinking about getting their over sized release. It doesn't look pretty, but man will it get the job done. If you REALLY want this for HD/SD/EDC/etc. you want to make sure you can positively find that button to drop the mag when it matters.
I would definitely get the maxi-well (magwell). I have been practicing with mine, and used it in IDPA, the well makes a big difference. It's not blended, but personally that's no issue for me. Blending is purely cosmetic with the maxi-well. I could not get the mag to hang up no matter how I tried with the well. If it's home defense (or any gun for that matter), I'd suggest the blank 10-8 rear, with the big dot front.
It's too late to make this big of a change I'd imagine, but my HD guns all have rails for a light. Not a deal killer, you can practice and train with a hand held, but it's a nice feature to have.

I made a few changes to my order and only paid one fee.

Don't forget, you're obligated to post some pictures when she comes in! BTW, what grips did you get? Stock?

#10 ·
Brown charges a $25 order change fee per incident, not per change, another words 3 specs changed once would be $25 and not $75.

Being a month or so out from expected completion date is a bit iffy, some things you most likely could get them to do, some it would not be practical for obvious reason.

Based on what you are looking to change I think you can get them all done, do not think it is too 'late' for any of those, though this is an educated guess on my part.

The one thing they may buck on is the Max-well if another mainspring housing has been fitted. If they do, have them add the Maxi-well as an EXTRA part instead of a REPLACEMENT part, will not cost you any extra and yet you will still get TWO parts.

Good luck.

#12 ·
Hammond, thanks for your input. Spoke to factory today and requested: Mag Well, 10-8 rear sight, and extended mag release. Inquired about Gold Dot for front sight, but at $150 I felt I could live without it. So with the above and (2) extra 8 round Mags and the Steath Grey color scheme I believe I will be a happy man. Thought about engraving with my Army unit, but once I'm gone who wants a personalized piece.

The above changes may hold the gun up a bit, have to get back with the factory next week. Thanks to you all for your input//Carl

#15 ·
Hammond, thanks for the help at 79 years of age I need all I can get. Spoke to Justin at the Brown factory and all is well with my world. They pulled the gun out of the line and will add the parts I requested. Was told that the changes should not hold the gun up much if at all. When I received the confirmation of changes the ship date remained 6/13/12. The only change I may do some time in the future is the gold dot on the front sight. Was told I could just send the slide in. (makes sense)

Anyone installed the gold dot? Any comments re gold dot?

#16 ·
I have the gold bead front on three pistols and I really like it. My eyes at 63 aren't what they were at 19. It was a great choice for me.

Went to the range last Saturday, shot many rounds over five plus hours. The gold dot picked up easily and almost fell into place with the 10-8 rear.

I found it to be a great set at the range. Some concerns are using it in low/no lighting. Being as they are not my nightime house guns, it is a non issue for me. My nightstand piece is railed with laser/light attached.

Jim

#17 ·
Jim, appreciate your thoughts and experience with gold bead front sight. You say your eyes are bad, try 79 LOL. Thought about a rail, but just did not care for the look of a 45 with a rail, personal thing I guess.

I am going to install a set of laser grips on the gun when it arrives, really do not care for them either but as I said at 79 I do not see that well anymore and would like to hit what I'm aiming at. Have an appointment tomorrow at UCLA Jules Stein eye center to see if they can save the rest of the sight in r/eye. I do try to get to the range at least once a week to see if I can hit the back wall

I may do as Justin at Brown factory suggested and send the slide back to factory for the gold bead install. But first I'll see how well the 10-8 rear works with the standard front sight.

This site is fantastic, (no pun intended) lots of help here for an old duffer like me.

Thanks to all.

#18 ·
I know it might look a little silly, but have you seen the XS big dot setup? It's like a giant night sight. Big white circle with tritium in the center..

They have a standard sized front sight that would probably work perfectly with the .156" wide 10-8 rear, or a jumbo sized big dot that anyone not legally blind can probably see..

Big Dot:

Standard Dot:

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=handgun

#20 ·
There's just so many items that can be added when you really think about it! Enjoy that fine 1911, you can even do upgrades later as many here do. I've already sent a few in for different sights, a green fiber optic and plain black serrated rears has been the last. If you do decide later, I think you'd be happy with the gold bead or fiber optic. I have some painful neuro issues in one eye and something that is easier to focus on up front sure does help a lot, it's not as taxing on the eye as some of those tiny tritium night sights some factories install.

#21 ·
I bought a Wilson CQBE with u rib back and fiber optic and couldn't see it. Talked to Wilson and said I wanted to try the night sites and John there said it wouldn't help and it didn't. I now have a gold bead on back order.
I talked to Justin at Browns yesterday and changed the sites on my yet to be made custom classic to the gold bead front and he said he would open the rear to .140 which he said would help.
At 69 and after cataract surgery and 20/20 vision in both eyes I thought I had it made. I have a few pairs of shotgun shooting glasses and called the optometrist that sells them to order a clear set of lens and told him my problem. He said he has this happen a lot and said I needed a mild RX in my right eye. I said I have 20/20 and he said but you still need readers? It worked with just a +75 in right lens.

#22 ·
Thanks to all above, I really appreciated your input and suggestions. Boy it sounds as if all us older folks are experiencing some sort of eye problems. Mine is Glocoma and I have lost the top half of vision in my r/eye. Pressure is 31 and UCLA is going to try laser again to get the pressure down. Then as a last resort surgery again and that is about it. End of the line for the R/eye sometime downstream. The L/eye is solid so I have been shooting both eyes open, which is the proper way after all.

All in all I will most likely take your suggestion and and go gold bead, seems like it is universally liked. But I also will take a look at the fibre optic option. Again I thank all you kind gentlemen for your input and suggestions.//Carl

Maybe I'll be able to hit more than the back wall at the range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.