1911Forum banner

Is Springfield armory 1911-A1 loaded any good?

131K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  captainthrall 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm planning to get my first 45ACP handgun and I looked at the springfield 1911-A1 loaded. I just want to know how good, reliable and dependable this gun is? I own a glock 17 and glock 22 so I decided to get a 1911 handgun. I don't know that much about 1911s and I really don't want to spend thousands of dollars to a handgun. please let me know what do you guys think about this spacific model. I looked at the Kimber custom II first but half of I've read / heard about it said that it's got some issues. so now this is the next 1911 that I'm looking forward to get really soon. I just want to know if this is reliable and dependable enough to carry and use it as home defense.

Thanks in advance,

Aron

#2 ·
Any of the Loaded models are good guns. I've got three and all have been reliable. For your first 1911 I'd recommend a 4" (Champion) or 5" (Full Size) over the Ultra or Micro. One of the 5" models would be my recommendation. Kimbers are good guns too but mine required a little more care and feeding up front but shoot every bit as good as my SAs after they got broken in a bit.

#3 ·
Good Used One

The loaded is a great model to start. It has several mods already made over the GI and Milspec that can't be added for same price. I would look for a nice used pistol and save yourself about $200 - $300. SA's warranty will cover the used pistol in your hands as long as there is not a modification issue with it. As an example, I just picked up a used 2001 TM for $800 with extra mags. It is $1200 plus tax currently. Just look around and have cash on hand.

#5 ·
MY first 1911 was a stainless loaded. Couldnt beat the price for less than a grand. Order 10 magazines off the coupon when you get it. :rock:

#6 ·
I have 2 loaded pistols, one in 9mm and the other in 45acp. Both are reliable right from the box. I did remove the Ambi safety from both pistols but that is a personal thing. My 9mm is stainless and the 45 is parkerized. I really like both pistols.

RWW

#8 ·
I picked up a stainless loaded as my first 1911 this spring and i haven't looked back. I now own 4 springfields. It's a great first 1911, i have no complaints out of the box. It was a little tight at first, but after about 250 rounds it "broke in" nicely. I also suggest get some $9 mags from the coupon. I also picked up some 10 rd stainless mags at the same time.

#9 ·
I looked at the Kimber custom II first but half of I've read / heard about it said that it's got some issues. so now this is the next 1911 that I'm looking forward to get really soon. I just want to know if this is reliable and dependable enough to carry and use it as home defense.

Thanks in advance,

Aron

don't believe everything you read online....Kimber customII and Springer are both excellent 1911s. Some might need minor fine tuning to run 100% but most should run OK straight out-of-the-box.
Try handling both guns first, look closely/carefully before deciding which one to get.
Personally, i prefer Kimber as a carry gun and Springer as a range/truck gun.

#11 ·
I've had my Loaded model for about 5 years now and I have yet to have any problems with it. I have put all sorts of ammo thru it from my own reloads to some Remington Golden Sabre 185gr JHP's in +P. Never a jam or problems. Wrist did get a little sore after awhile..... :D

#12 ·
The SA Loaded Fullsize in 45 ACP was my first 1911(my wife bought it NIB for $485 at a gunshow) and I have shot it alot since 1995/6! Great first 1911 IMO! All I have done to it was add new thumb safety with a King's and add a S&A magwell! It has never failed me in all the time I have owned it! Good Luck!

Grunt Out!

#13 ·
Highly recommend the Loaded as anyone's First M1911.

Other than fitting a standard M1911 recoil spring, and guide; and replacing the horrible ILS springs with standard parts (maybe $25 in parts total) there's nothing necessary to do with a Loaded and even those tweaks are totally optional. You may want to tweak it, but that's a personal decision.

Minor tweaks:

-- Chuck

#14 ·
my first 1911 was a park'd Loaded and it is still the most accurate 1911 I have owned--would do one ragged hole groups out of the box. Never a failure of any kind with any type of ammo. I have put some fancier grips on it and a GI setup (which did seem to make it a bit less accurate though I don't get to practice as much either and less accurate is still better than most handguns) and would rather lose the ambi if I still carried it alot (generally go with commanders in the collection for that) but it's still a sentimental favorite and what sits in the nightstand. Great first choice, in short :)

#15 ·
Glad I chose it

When I finally made the plunge into centerfire handuns, I solicited a lot of opinions. To keep the story mercifully short, three different, independant gun shops all had the same recommendation. Get a Springer Loaded. Hands down.

After a few years of my SS Loaded and more, I would give the same rec. It has been a stellar weapon that is fun to shoot. It is accurate and reliable. I always liked the history and style of 1911's. After owning a couple, I can't imagine being without. Dealing with Springfield Customer Service is actually enjoyable.

I like most quality guns. But I can say, God willing, I will always have a Springfield 1911 handy. Go with the Loaded. And learn what you like.

mr.paul

#19 ·
Thanks guys, I was gonna get the Para GI Expert but when I got bored last monday (Labor Day), I wen't to the gun store and saw a Nice Very good condition used SA Loaded 1911-A1 for $560 with 4 mags. so I quickly swap the GI Expert that I put on Layaway and got the Loaded 1911-A1 instead. Hopefully I made a good decision. I will be picking it up by the end of the month since I'm going to L.A. to visit some families.

#27 ·
Hey, I know this thread was last updated 8 years ago, but it turned up in a google search as I was doing research on Springfield 1911s. I had already watched a few SA 1911 reviews on youtube, but reading so many Springfield 1911 owners give their first-hand approval of the firearm gave me the confidence I needed to pull the trigger a deal I've been considering. I recently bought my first house, and felt it would be wise to purchase my first firearm to go with it.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm excited to own my first handgun, and with all of the positive reviews, I feel very confident about choosing a Springfield 1911. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.