1911Forum banner

Most accurate factory .22LR Bolt Action Rifle?

48K views 41 replies 35 participants last post by  M2HB 
#1 ·
Thinking about picking up a .22LR rifle. What do you guys and gals think is the most accurate? Also, what are your thoughts on the Winchester Model 52?
Regards,
Sam

#3 ·
Hi Jim....
Found a Model 52 Winchester. Nicely checkered Monte Carlo walnut stock. Has the speed lock set-up, blade front sight.Button release 5 round curved magazine. Very, very light trigger ( you don't pull, you barely touch). Didn't get serial number or other specifics. Priced at $995. Any ideas what model this is?
Regards,
Sam

#4 ·
I've got a Remington 541 Heavy Barrel I'm very happy with. They don't make them any more, but they're around used.

------------------

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' until you can find a rock"

#5 ·
I'll second Anshutz. I had a 54 for a while in Europe - wish I'd brought it back with me. It also had the best trigger on a rifle I have ever had (or tried). It was so light (a couple of ounces) I had several a couple of premature let-offs before I got the hang of it. The 54 and 64 target rifles have very heavy competition stocks/heavy barrels; but boy - do they shoot!

Cape Outfitters has a few for sale by the way.
http://www.capeoutfitters.com/

#7 ·
I recently picked up a CZ 452 .22lr. The first time out it pulled in 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50yds with PMC Scoremaster, Ely Subsonic and Federal Classic 38gr JHP. Best group was 4/16" with Federal. Not that expensive and has a great reputation for being a shooter.....

#8 ·
Originally posted by JohnnyO:
I recently picked up a CZ 452 .22lr. The first time out it pulled in 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50yds with PMC Scoremaster, Ely Subsonic and Federal Classic 38gr JHP. Best group was 4/16" with Federal. Not that expensive and has a great reputation for being a shooter.....
I've heard about the CZ 452s, haven't seen one locally. Looked at a CZ in .223 yesterday that had a set trigger. Does the CZ 452 come with the same type of trigger set-up?
Regards,
Sam

#10 ·
Well, I'm hearing some good things about the CZs. For the price they sound like a pretty good deal. I got more info on the Winchester 52. Serial No. 8481xC. My book shows 1956 production. Rifle has been re-stocked (nicely done) and refinished in matte blue. It seems $995 is too much. Your thoughts? BTW, thanks for all the input so far.
Regards,
Sam

#11 ·
you should be able to pick up a clean 52 with good sights and origional stock between 5 and 600.00, have seen 3 at the last 2 shows in that range. Unless you really like the stock on the one your looking at?
and it does not help the value. the mags if win. brand have value.
geo ><>

good luck!

#12 ·
The trigger on my 452 is not that great. A little heavy, with a lot of creep. However, even with that disadvantage it shoots great. A trigger job is all I plan to do to it. Even the scope I have on it (Tasco Mildot) is not so great. A good trigger and better scope and this gun will be a real winner.

#13 ·
I have an old Anshutz (no model# or import mark so I'm not sure what it is exactly) that is a joy, very accurate and pretty too. My CZ-527-FS .223 is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, if the rimfires are as good you can have a great rifle for a lot less money that way.

#16 ·
My only experience is with a Marlin Model 60 (semi-auto) and a Ruger 10/22 Target. I would assume their counterparts in bolt action dress would be comparable. The Marlin is probably the most accurate 22LR I've ever shot. It will group all 13 shots inside a quarter at 50 yards. And, at 100 yards, it'll routinely knock over spent shotgun shells. The Ruger would be a great rifle if it had a trigger that was worth the metal they used to make it.

If I was serious about accuracy from a .22, and wanted a bolt action, I'd have to look at Kimber.

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

#17 ·
I have a new classic Kimber .22 and a Browning Model 52. Both are extremely accurate, but the trigger on the Kimber is much better. The Model 52 is an attractive rifle and well-built and finished, but again the Kimber has a "classy" look and feel that the 52 repro cannot match. I also have a Kimber of Oregon .22 mag Classic that is accurate and has a fantastic trigger. However, I like the look of the new Kimber a bit better. The new Kimbers would not be a disappointment to anyone desiring a well-built and accurate .22 that follows centerfire rifle lines.

#18 ·
I was browsing through the June 1996 Shooters News. They have an article on 22 Benchrest statistics to that date. In the light sporter class, the Rem 541 was the top rifle used. Sako was second, Anschutz third. If you haven't ever been to a 22 Benchrest match, you should attend one. These guys are very serious about accuracy! I own an Anshutz 64 Silouhette I like very much but it's not exactly a sporter. My father has a Contender in 22 rifle configuration that is extremely accurate.
Rob

#19 ·
I have a Ruger M77-22 that is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever seen. With a fairly wide assortment of ammos also. I have been offered large sums of money for this rifle and have had to turn the offers down for fear of never finding another rilfe that shoots this well. It is a Blued, Standard M77-22 with the walnut stock and no modifactions at all. A 4 power Tasco scope is the only addition to the rifle.

------------------
I won't be lied to, be insulted, or have hands laid on me, I don't do these things to others, and I expect the same from them.

Stupidity should be painful.

#20 ·
I've found, like Shooter973, that my 77/22 is extremely accurate also. I have the heavy barreled one with the laminated stock and at 66 yards, with SuperX 37gr. hollow points, it can produce consistent dime sized groups. The rifle is outfitted with a Weaver V-16 and the groups were done with it set on it's highest power.

To Shooter 973, I love your signature: "I won't be lied to, be insulted, or have hands laid on me, I don't do these things to others, and I expect the same from them." words to live by from J.B. Books (or is it Bookes?) Stay safe, Gary

------------------
What I want most from the government is to be left alone. GWT

#21 ·
Thanks for all the input. A friend of mine has a bolt action "NS 522 Sporter" in .22 LR. It has a 21" cold hammer forged barrel, 5 shot detachable magazine, checkered American walnut stock, weighs a little over 7 lbs. and was made in China. On a regular basis, we can hit 1/4" spot dots at 50 yards with Wolf Match Ammo (German production ammo). I'd love to buy his .22 but he won't sell or trade. Have you guys ever heard of this rifle before? Was imported in 1994 by KFS in Atlanta GA and I believe they are out of business.
Regards,
Sam

#22 ·
Below is a 100 yard 5 shot group I shot with my Anschutz 1730, 22 Hornet using Winchester factory ammo. I actually managed to duplicate the test target that came with the gun.

A 22 Hornet is not exactly a rimfire, but their rimfires shoot just as well. I think Anschutz is a pretty safe bet if top accuracy is the requirement.

#24 ·
Years ago...

I had a couple of 22 ,bolt ,single shots made by Remington in the thirtys.I sighted them in by setting a white piece of paper up at twenty five yards and shooting at the first hole I put in the paper.I had two at one time that would put them in the same hole.
The Anschutz are nice,but most of them won't put them in the same hole.

#25 ·
I bought a new production Winchester 52B a while back. It didn't shoot all that well, so I traded it. I don't miss it either.

The most accurate .22 I have is my tricked out 10/22. After replacing the factory trigger with a Clark drop-in kit, I put a SS fluted Kimber barrel on it. It will shoot under an inch at 100 yds with the new Remington/Eley ammo (the cheapest variety whatever it's called) and I have shot perfect scores with it in rimfire silhouette competitions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.