1911Forum banner

Dilemma? Kimber..SIG

12K views 61 replies 23 participants last post by  zdragon52 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry Crimson and now possess this and a very nice SIG Ultra Compact. The SIG has checkered front strap, night sights, and a list of other goodies and I like the gun very well. The thing does NOT fit standard leather holsters very well, I have two Galcos, Kramer, and a Sparks, and the gun hangs in all of them despite the various tricks I have tried.

The Kimber,(I have owned several in the past and currently own an Aegis Pro, and a Solo) has only the CTCs, no checkering, NS etc, but fits all my holsters very nice indeed. I got the thing to have a Kimber threesome, but the SIG is an EXCELLENT shooter and nearly 200$ less than a Kimber less equipped. I got to believe the Kimber holds value better...

Any help out there? Anyone have similar nightmares and what was the outcome? Thanks in advance! Are there any clues as to which is the best gun considering they are essentially the same frame, same caliber etc, trying to decide between the two is my dilemma.

#42 ·
i thought they were cast...kimbers always look nice, and have that feel of class, refinment, but they feel weak to me. Springers always tend to scream, im tough, i can take a beating, ya know a workn mans gun. i feel my champion is solidly built! Just my opinion. But some of these sigs look awful nice. Im leaning between the extreme, the nightmare and the scorpion. I prefer black, and am not in love with the scorpion, but its so unique. The colors mixed with those custom g10 grips looks great. Had a chance to feel one a while back. The more and more i hear about sigs the more i want one. Not crazy about the rail on the extreme, but i love the grips. R they made by the same company that did the grips for the scorpion model?

#43 ·
I'm a Sig fanboy so it pains me to say this, but give me my Kimber Raptor over my Sig Ultra Nitron. My Raptor has never failed, my Sig on the other hand has failed so much it's currently in the hands of Sauer themselves. Colossal failure of a handgun aside, my Kimber feels better, shoots nicer and is more accurate than my Sig (when the Sig actually works). My TacOps on the other hand is easily my favorite 1911.

#46 ·
I have a Kimber Ultra II, a Sig Tac Ops, and a Sig p238. I love 'em all. They all shoot way better than me and I could care less what anyone says about any firearm. The only problem I had with a Sig was it only shot a bit over 50 rnds after dummy me put the recoil spring in backwards and it wrapped around the guide rod. LOL, dummy me. Good thing it happened at the range.

#53 ·
Thanks prophit13, Kelley is shut down for orders until further notice. This post has gotten a lot of attention. I am enjoying reading the info, but dislike some of the barbs flying around. My SIG is NOT going anywhere. At this point I cannot say the same for the Kimber Ultra.

#55 ·
That's true. He just stopped taking orders a couple of days ago - too bad. Just be patient and I promise you will love your sig even more. I also was deciding between a Sig and Kimber CDP ll. I heard too many "pretty but finnicky" stories about the newer Kimbers. The Sig has been absolutely flawless and no babying required. The Nitron finish has also been surprisingly durable. I have practiced holstering A LOT and it shows almost no wear yet. Very very happy with my Sig. It's accurate as hell to boot. I think I paid $850 and it has some custom features plus Novak low pro night sites. No complaints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.