1911Forum banner

Star 1911 45 Acp

16K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Mardet65 
#1 ·
Does anyone have one of these? I've had one since about 1974, but have not seen one at shows nor seen them talked about in the forums for as long as I can remember. The model is model PS.

Looks just like the Colt 45 auto except it has an external extractor and the "backstrap" is part of the frame.

It is my understanding from an article years ago that most movies that use 45 autos use STARs, for they will work with blanks where as Colt 45 auto will not. I used to take note of it when watching movies. The external extractor is a dead giveaway, else, it would be very hard to tell it from a Colt 45 auto.

#2 ·
Now I understand why I am not getting a lot of replies.

On the Curio and Relic Firearm Forum under Spanish Pistols, there was a post concernng this handgun (STAR Model PS). One guy replied : "The Star Model PS is not a common piece. They were only made from 1970 to 1987, with only a total of 7,657 made. The majority (4,525) were made in 1973."

They were imported into the US and sold through the Garcia Corporation back in '70s. I read on another forum where STAR has since went out of business, so I guess I better not break any parts.

#4 ·
GDavis said:
Does anyone have one of these? I've had one since about 1974, but have not seen one at shows nor seen them talked about in the forums for as long as I can remember. The model is model PS.

Looks just like the Colt 45 auto except it has an external extractor and the "backstrap" is part of the frame.

It is my understanding from an article years ago that most movies that use 45 autos use STARs, for they will work with blanks where as Colt 45 auto will not. I used to take note of it when watching movies. The external extractor is a dead giveaway, else, it would be very hard to tell it from a Colt 45 auto.
ive heard and shot a star pd in 45 acp never heard of a ps

#5 ·
GDavis mentioned using Stars in movies. Actually, Stars were used because, until fairly recently, .45 acp blanks would not function well in a semi-auto. To most people, a Star looked like a regular 1911. They would use 9mm Luger to get reliable results (multiple shots). A new 45 crimping design solved the problem. They were used in movies like The Wild Bunch, Three Days of The Condor (Robert Redford) and Pulp Fiction.

#7 ·
Star Firearms..

Star firearms are GREAT guns. I carry a "Combat Customized FireStar M40".. and have done so since they first came out about 20 or so years ago. The reason you don't see to many Stars being sold is because once someone has owned one, they try NOT to get rid of it. Here are a couple of Star links you might be interested in.

http://www.donttouchme.com/star/

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/StarPistols.htm

Hope this helps.

FireStar_M40

#9 ·
GDavis said:

GDavis,

If it's the one that my friend had long ago then I could picture it in my mind. I thought they were good pistol to pack with you on walks in the evening. Although they were plagued with fram cracking after about 100 rounds spent. Givce or take. I still believe they were/are still great pistols to have in ones collection.

rimfire,22

#11 ·
Alfa One said:
Wish I had one. They are even harder to find where I live (Belgium). I have a 9mm Star 30M.

If I could, I would only buy Star pistols in different calibers. Unfortunately they are impossible to find over here.

Alfa One,

I'm sorry to say that Star is a gone bye era pistol. They're good pistols that ran for miles long before needing any repairs I've heard. I have two in my barrtey that barely gets any shooting. I'm trying to look for some magazines at shows.

rimfire,22

#12 ·
i've had star pd's since the time they were introduced in the 70's. they are indeed great underated guns. the one i'm carrying has gone over a thousand factory rounds with no problem. all i've done to it is change the recoil and firing pin springs, and also the plastic like buffer. one other high milege pd had a problem where the gun would dump the mag when fired. the current one i am carrying, has beautiful grips made by hakan.

ed

#14 ·
My son has a Star BM in 9mm. It`s cute. It`s set up that if it`s cocked with a round in it but the magazine is out it won`t fire.

#20 ·
The grips? I made them from a piece of old black walnut that I had for years. I re-sawed to get the same burl on each side. I liked the burl and the knot in the piece. Took a little while to get the correct fit around the safety, etc, but I like them. Thanks for the nice compliment. Renigeid

#22 ·
Star PS vs. PD

There is a guy at gunboard's forum named "Star" who has lots of Star parts and is a wealth of info. He has also posted some pics of various 45 models. I just bought some recoil/guide rods and a set of pearlite grips for one of my PD's. I put the new grips on and installed one of my new recoil buffers and am good to go. Here are a couple of pics of the PD with the new grips....

Attachments

#23 ·
I carried a Star B (or SuperB, can't remember) 9mm during my time in the South African Defence Force in the 80s - great pistol, but one thing I noticed was that the firing-pins were particularly brittle and prone to break if dry-fired. I always kept a few spares handy, but apart from that it was a superbly accurate, reliable pistol.

I did get into a little bit of trouble when I handed it back - the serial-numbers on the slide, frame and barrel somehow didn't match ;)

#25 ·
Star Pistols

I've previously owned a Star PD .45 and a Firestar as well. They were both fine handguns, although a bit heavy. I regret selling them and wish I had kept them both today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.