1911Forum banner

Cracked Extractor on Stainless PT1911 (Pics!)

14K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Acesn8s 
#1 ·
I went to the range this past Monday to shoot a couple of pistols. I fired 50 rnds of Aguila FMJ through a PT1911 I just picked up. The pistol was used and the original owner told me he only put about 100 rnds through it (I believe him too, the pistol looks to be in great shape).
I performed a detailed strip on the pistol before taking to the range. Today I decided to clean it after firing. Look what I found. :( Why would this have happened. Is the extractor a MIM part? Any recommendations on a replacement extractor? Sucks...

After firing:

Cracked Extractor:

See less See more
#2 ·
It is likely a MIM part. I just replaced the extractor in my Springfield Ultra Compact. Even in the Springer, the extractor is a MIM part. On mine, the hook that grabs the shell broke.

I replaced it with a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof extractor, which is machined, not MIM.

I had a PT1911ALR, and didn't have any issues, but MIM parts tend to not be as strong as machined.

The Wilson extractor will likely need a bit of fitting.

Good luck on the replacement, and don't let it get you down on Taurus. I am beginning to regret selling mine.

#3 ·
I replaced it with a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof extractor, which is machined, not MIM.

The Wilson extractor will likely need a bit of fitting.
Thanks for the info. So...I've heard that the Taurus PT1911 extractor is a bit of a unique design and that other "aftermarket" Series 80 extractors won't fit the Series 80 firing pin block in the slide. Any truth to this?

Anyone have any experience with changing the extractor for an aftermarket piece on the PT1911?

#4 ·
I did the series 80 delete in my PT1911, so I am not sure the answer to your question. If you do end up doing the series 80 delete, you will need to get the metal spacer from Brownells to fill in the space where the series 80 was. It is an easy mod, just up to you.

You can find links to the mod on this site.

#7 ·
The problem some of us have had is that a new extractor may not retain the dumbell plunger of the series 80 system. It will fall out of the slide when you rack the slide. Option then is to delete the series 80 system as mentioned or try another extractor. I deleted the series 80 and did not look back! I used a Wilson combat bullet proof.

#12 ·
I ordered the Cylinder and Slide extractor from Midway. I should have it by this Wednesday at the latest. I'll report back on whether or not it correctly retains the dumbell plunger (firing pin block). I might just call Taurus and see if they will send me a new one too as a back-up. The gun was manufactured in 2008 per Taurus' website serial number search. As I understand it though, their warranty is for the life of the pistol. It doesn't matter how many people have owned it.

If they tell me I have to send the whole pistol in just to replace the extractor...forget about it.

#13 ·
C&S extractors usually need to be fit beyond just the regular tension bending, I have a had really great luck with Wilson Bulletproof extractors dropping in with just the bending tension adjustment (which is necessary anyway)

#14 · (Edited)
It is likely a MIM part. I just replaced the extractor in my Springfield Ultra Compact. Even in the Springer, the extractor is a MIM part. On mine, the hook that grabs the shell broke.
The extractor in the picture is clearly not a MIM made extractor, it's just poorly made. If it were MIM made, the surfaces would be smooth and there would be a popper mark.

Since Colt tried it and showed it wasn't a good idea, nobody uses a MIM made internal extractor, not Taurus, not Springfield, nor anybody else.

Pics of Colt MIM made extractors showing the "sprue" marks which you would have to have (but they don't have to be rectangular.) http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=134034

#15 ·
My extractor's "hook" broke after the 3rd range trip. I bought a ed brown as a replacement. Called taurus and they sent me a new one a week later.. now I have two so if something happens I always have a spare and will just keep calling taurus as they break. I can't stand MIM parts... such garbage. I wasn't going to send my gun in to a extractor replacement, and I hope you don't either.. From everything that I have heard you will be WEEKS without your gun... So far my experience with them is good since it took less than a week to get my extractor.

-Nigel

#16 · (Edited)
I can't stand MIM parts... such garbage. I wasn't going to send my gun in to a extractor replacement, and I hope you don't either.. From everything that I have heard you will be WEEKS without your gun... So far my experience with them is good since it took less than a week to get my extractor.

-Nigel
I'm not sending it to Taurus.

As far as MIM goes, I know a lot of people insist that the Taurus extractor is not MIM however, Taurus has their own internal division dedicated to the MIM process. I have read from other sites that the extractor is in fact MIM. It appears as if Colt wasn't the only one to use MIM and fail at it. The only way to confirm if it is MIM is to call Taurus (the proverbial horses mouth) and ask. This is what I will do tomorrow when I request they send me a replacement extractor (I will keep as a spare).

#20 ·
You can look at the part and see if it is MIM made. The one in the picture is not but feel free to believe what you want. It looks like a cast part that was poorly machined.

BTW, Imbel (Springfield) and Kimber also make their own MIM parts but neither uses a MIM made extractor.
Well...I called Taurus. They will not send me a new extractor because the gun is over a year old. They want me to send the whole pistol in which I'm not going to do. They wanted to charge me $16 for a new extractor if I absolutely have to have one and don't want to send the pistol in.

In addition, I asked the rep (Louis) whether the PT1911 stainless extractor is MIM or cast. He put me on hold to ask someone else. He came back on the line and stated they were 99% sure that it was MIM. I stated that I would prefer that he be 100% sure. He said he would double check for me by emailing the factory rep in Brazil (which is where the extractors are made) and get a definitive answer for me. He told me he would call me back after the email was answered and let me know. I asked if he would email me their response and he stated that their email was for internal use only. So...he took my phone number and stated he would call once he received an answer. He was very polite over the phone.

If Taurus contacts me back and informs me that the extractor is MIM...I'm afraid I'm going to have to believe the Manufacturer. Quite honestly, the extractor looks like a MIM part that was molded with excess and then machined. Or, their MIM molds were made off of a machined extractor.

#25 ·
Well...I called Taurus. They will not send me a new extractor because the gun is over a year old. They want me to send the whole pistol in which I'm not going to do. They wanted to charge me $16 for a new extractor if I absolutely have to have one and don't want to send the pistol in.

In addition, I asked the rep (Louis) whether the PT1911 stainless extractor is MIM or cast. He put me on hold to ask someone else. He came back on the line and stated they were 99% sure that it was MIM. I stated that I would prefer that he be 100% sure. He said he would double check for me by emailing the factory rep in Brazil (which is where the extractors are made) and get a definitive answer for me. He told me he would call me back after the email was answered and let me know. I asked if he would email me their response and he stated that their email was for internal use only. So...he took my phone number and stated he would call once he received an answer. He was very polite over the phone.

If Taurus contacts me back and informs me that the extractor is MIM...I'm afraid I'm going to have to believe the Manufacturer. Quite honestly, the extractor looks like a MIM part that was molded with excess and then machined. Or, their MIM molds were made off of a machined extractor.

Just KEEP calling until they send you an extractor. Parts are lifetime warranty if I remember correctly, no??? Sounds like a typical experience when manufactures don't want to deal with it or you just get the wrong rep. Call back again honestly and get a new extractor. Hell if they are going to charge you $16 just spend the extra $15 and go with a name brand one then at that point that isn't going to break...Get the series 80 shim to delete the series 80 plunger and then you won't have to worry about having to stick with a specific taurus part via firing pin, extractor, springs..etc.

-Nigel

#18 ·
add another to the broken extractor list.

Went Ed Brown hardcore series 70 (obviously deleted all the plunger hardware) and it work great so far, which is only two mags. my taurus extractor broke after about 250 rounds on it.

The ed brown only required basic tension adjustment to get it running.

#24 ·
I forgot to add I went this route as well by deleting the plunger hardware and getting the shim at brownells (less than 5 bucks I think) I also replaced the firing pin with a s/s ed brown and use their heavy duty hardcore firing pin spring. Couldn't be happier remove that usless other crap. (makes for putting the gun back together much easier!)

-Nigel

#19 ·
Has any one ever had a problem with a Taraus slide stops. It may be a non issue, but it seems if they are had the extractor issue at one point, slide stops could be an issue also. Maybe I am paranoid because I had one break in half and it was hollow inside is why. No it was not a Taraus but para is now sanomous with paranoid to me if you catch my drift.:hrm:;)

#26 ·
Well...it really doesn't help when Taurus tells you the stainless extractor is out of stock and on backorder (How many of these things are failing?!!). My new Cylinder and Slide Series 80 extractor should be here today or tomorrow. I'll report back on the fit. Honestly, I don't mind tearing down a series 80 slide. All my other 1911's (5) are series 70 so having one series 80 in my collection (with increased tear-down time) doesn't bother me too much.

What I really don't like is the stupid hammer safety. The key-lock system in the top of the hammer is seriously fugly.

#32 ·
I think it is hit and miss with a replacement extractor. I know someone else posted that they had a replacement extractor work (do not remember the brand of extractor) while others resorted to doing the series 80 delete. A wilson combat bullet proof did not work for me until I did the series 80 delete. Just be sure the plunger is being retained. It will either fall out our could jam up the gun and cause damage to the gun. If you did not notice it fall out then the series 80 levers could also jam up the gun and cause damage.

#33 ·
Well...I finally received my Taurus stainless steel replacement extractor today (was on backorder at Taurus). I've got to say this thing is UGLY. The machining is horrible. I spent at least an hour cleaning up the burrs and machining marks on it with a flat needle file and 400 grit SiC paper. I must say, after I was done it looked pretty good. I also checked the fit to the slide. I had to adjust the tension as it was too loose.

One thing I noticed is that the stainless steel "color" of the replacement extractor was slightly "brighter" than the stock extractor. Hopefully they switched alloys which leads to a stronger extractor.

As far as finding out whether the extractor is MIM...Taurus never got back to me on that one.

Now I need to send my cracked extractor to Taurus (promised I would send it to them once I received a new one). Consider this case closed.

#34 ·
Hello all. I am new to the forum (or any forum for that matter) and in fact this is my first post. Can some one tell me how difficult it would be to change out the hammer/locking mechanism for a novice? What tools would I need, parts, etc. A gentleman above mentioned that he had done it and got me to thinking...
Thanks

#36 ·
My 2 cents on the extractor and plunger issue:
I tried the Caspian extractor and it seemed to be retaining the plunger well, until it and the spring fell out of the pistol in the middle of an IDPA match. I went back to the Taurus extractor. Next the dumbell plunger spring broke. The new ones I ordered from Taurus were of a heavier gauge and added at least 2 lbs. to the trigger pull. Not good, so I bought a Colt plunger and spring. The plunger was too large for the hole so I chucked it in a drill press and turned it down to the right diameter. The plunger was also a little too long so I shortened the end recessed for the spring. It now has the same amount of travel as the factory parts did. On top of that I added an Ed Brown Hardcore extractor and it seems to be retaining the plunger so far after at least 1000 rounds. Keep in mind that this worked in my pistol ( PT1911SS) but no guarantees in anyone else's.

Bob

#38 ·
from what i have found, it depends on when your pt 1911 was manufactured. the earlier models the aftermarket extractors would not retain the plunger, but in the newer models the C & S and the Wilson Combat extractors have worked. probably others would to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.