1911Forum banner

5.56mm Reloading Dies

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Nick A 
#1 ·
I've checked the various manufacturers as well as Midway and Natchez but I cannot seem to find 5.56mm reloading dies. Who makes them and who carries them? It would seem that the .223 dies would be too small for the 5.56mm brass I have on hand???

#2 ·
..... It would seem that the .223 dies would be too small for the 5.56mm brass I have on hand???
Not so.

RCBS and others have die sets labeled AR for gas guns but .223 dies work just fine for 5.56 cases. There are some real differences in the cartridges and in the chambers but not in the dies - bearing in mind all the varieties of dies including small base or with RCBS their X-die or bushing dies and some will bump the shoulder more than others and so it goes. But there is no point in looking only for dies marked 5.56 - use dies marked .223 making sure they suit your needs for bullet shape and crimping as you choose - no crimp for a bolt gun may or may not choose to crimp for a gas gun as appropriate and so it goes.

#3 ·
Same dies. They aren't different.

5.56x45 NATO and .223 Remington

Totally identical exterior dimensions. PERIOD.

Same reloading dies for both.

Some argue that interior volume varies,
but it varies for both commercial and military.
When I get home I'll get you a link where they measured volumes.
You'll be surprised what the truth is.

There are so many myths, lies, misunderstandings and misquotations between 556 and 223.
But both are the same outside dimensions.

Everything Clark says (Post #2) is good true info. Thank you, bro.

#5 ·
The only difference between 223 and 5.56 is the chamber dimensions and potentially hotter loaded ammo.

Case dimensions are the same.

When I get home I'll get you a link where they measured volumes.
You'll be surprised what the truth is..
You want to know whats even more surprising(I'm sure you already know)... 7.62 vs. 308.

The "known" difference between the two is case volume... and that 7.62 has a smaller case volume than 308...

Funny.... almost ALL Winchester brass has the same volume as LC 7.62(from my experience)

Mike.

#6 ·
Reloading for my AR-15

My Rock River AR-15 has a match grade barrel with a "Wylde chamber" that is a little more tolerant when using .223 loads. The following is a cut and paste from Rock River explaining the purpose of the Wylde chamber:

"The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

I do prefer to use a carbide resizing die, and even with this, I still use a spray on case lube. I purchased a Dillon .223 4-die set with the carbide resizer, and have never had any issues. I also load my .223 on a D550, but if I keep shooting more .223, I may end up buying another tool head for my D1050, since this would eliminate the step of having to swage military crimp primer pockets. The D1050 has a station that swages all small primer cases.

#8 ·
Link with more info, as promised.

I agree with Mike and Rifter on the 7.61x51 / 308 Win.
Mil and Commercial manufacturers make what they make.
Some draw thin, some draw thick.
There is no hard and fast rule regarding case capacity.
You have to determine that for yourself.

Here is the study on 6mm Benchrest web site
studying weight and volume among various
military and commercial 556/223 brass:
http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html
As you will read, it's all over the map.
The old wives appear to be wrong in many ways.

So what does that mean to us reloaders?

If you don't measure yourself it and keep track of it, you don't know what you got.
Set up your own procedures, and stick to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.