1911Forum banner

Custom Shop: How Custom?

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  zaskar017 
#1 ·
Apologies if this has been covered already, but I've been searching and haven't found a full answer.

How extensively custom a gun can the Colt Custom Shop make? Are they limited to modifying customer-supplied, already-made Colts and current production models, or can they do a fully unique 1911 from the ground up?

Also, in terms of workmanship, how do Custom Shop guns compare to regular production guns, as well as those made by the best semi-custom (Ed Brown, Wilson, etc.) and best custom (Lieberberg, Chan, etc.) makers? Are the internals standard factory-grade, or are they finely hand-finished?

Thanks!

#5 ·
We can make anything as long we have a frame and slide to work from. In other words, as long as it uses a current breach face and feed ramp, I can get frames and slides in the raw and build from there. You should also have an end use in mind so we have an idea how to build.
Brent

#7 · (Edited)
There you go, straight from the horses mouth.

The pictures:

What you see there are the nearly completed "WWF Pistol #1" platform. 10 guns were built with the purpose of generating some cash to go to Wounded Warrior. The general specs are:

S70, blued, 45ACP platform. While not a MEU(SOC) pistol (obviously), it was inspired by that platform, and includes the changes I would make.
Harrison retro rear sight
Novak gold dot front
Harrison solid trigger
S&A grip safety
S&A checkered MSH w/ loop
NM barrel, lapped fit (I'm told these are sickeningly accurate guns)
6 tuned mags
Spare extractor
Novak thumb safety
EGW bbl bushing w/ serial number stamped
GI style ejection port
"Combat" style build (see Brents post - you can have a target gun from Colt, or a combat gun. Some concessions are made either way in fit.) Tighter than a "factory" gun, but not Baer tight.

This gun is the "Enthusiast Edition" 1911, and is reflected in the serial number. It really is what a bunch of us got together and decided a no-nonsense combat 1911 should be. Nothing fancy or frilly. Just an anvil tough 1911 for EDC, regardless of who you are.

#9 · (Edited)
go on the colts website and take a peek at their custom shop price list. i have a commander done up by them and i love it. they have several basic packages as well as an a la carte menu, depends on how deep your wallet is. and you can mix and match packages and a la carte items as i have. i also upgraded from plastic trigger and MSH to steel. i have another government model there now that will be re-done in Royal blue as well as have some awesomeness put on it. still dreaming up my next project .

also some quality factory engraving but thats some bigger dollar. maybe my initials ?

i strongly suggest searching here custom shop guns as well as any other custom guns and colts can likely build it for you. after you have a good idea of what you want, email Brent. hes super cool and easy to deal with. he will also offer suggestions as well. its his job after all.

lastly i would put their work up against any other national shop with no hesitation, likely at a better price and less time. i have heard of years wait times at some shops. and if you ever need to sell it , i really do feel the colts cs invoice will command a better price from a potential buyer since teh work was done at the factory

#10 ·
I will also offer this: right now the CCS is particularly cost effective compared with many others. And if you have the chance to talk with their people, they have some interesting perspectives on the way some parts should be fit. And they are often difficult to argue against.

#12 ·
I haven't posted much on here in the last year or so, but I am thankful (my wife surely is not) I started reading more.
Now begins the wait for a pistol to be built by CCS.
It will be a bit of a wait, but it has been a long time coming for me.
DSK would be (might be) happy with it :D

Brent really is easy to deal with.
:rock:

#13 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Off the top of my head, I'd want, an enhanced Delta/rail gun, with a commander hammer, short trigger, a Wilson beavertail, Heine night sights, arched SA mainspring housing, checkered front strap, VG operator II grips in a custom SS/Cerakote black tu-tone finish. That would be as custom as I'd ever want/need. I wonder how much that would cost a person?

#16 ·
You could start by going to their website and checking prices there. They list a EB and SA beavertail, not a Wilson, so you might have to supply your own. They do carry Heinie sights, although they are not listed, either. I've always figured grips are a buy what you want and install yourself proposition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.