1911Forum banner

1911 vs. USP

9K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  colt10mm 
#1 ·
hey guys, I am planning on buying a .22 cal and a .45, i chose a walther p22 for my 22lr and for my 45 i am stuck between a 1911 (any 1911 variants) and a HK USP .45

my uses for the gun will be self defense, occasional concealed carry and target shooting (i like an accurate gun)

what do you guys think will be the better choice for me?

thanks! :)

#2 ·
1911 > USP

I hated my USP. And everyone that I know who owns one wishes they would have bought something else.
But, that is just around here. The USP is still a fine gun. But I would take a 1911 any given day over it.

#3 ·
If I was to own a handgun other than 1911, it would be a USP. I like the feel of the gun and I shoot it well. Give me a USP over a Glock anyday.

#6 ·
1911 = higher recoil - weights more - higher jam rate - less accurate
Higher recoil?!? :hrm:

Weighs more? That is true, but somebody please tell me how weighing more can create the higher recoil alluded to above. :confused:

Higher jam rate? We've been over that one a million times on this forum. A quality, well-built 1911 doesn't jam. Only the garbage brands and ones that have been dicked with by weekend Dremel jockeys do.

Less accurate? They're kidding, right? :rolleyes:

The USP is a fine gun, and like the other poster said I too will take one over a Glock any day of the week. But the differences between it and a 1911 are purely a matter of personal preference.

#9 ·
Higher jam rate? We've been over that one a million times on this forum. A quality, well-built 1911 doesn't jam. Only the garbage brands and ones that have been dicked with by weekend Dremel jockeys do.

Less accurate? They're kidding, right? :rolleyes:
+1:rock:

I have both and for concealed carry, the 1911 is more comfortable because it's slimmer. Both guns out of the box (in stock config), the 1911 has the better trigger hands down. The USP's trigger is one that requires some considerable time to master. The USP45 is a big gun, dimensionally, in comparison to the 1911.

#10 ·
I had a USP and sold it. Wished I hadn't because I shot it very well and got it much cheaper than they go for today.
I would choose the 1911 because it is slimmer for carry, the trigger is much better and SAO and as the above poster said, the USP trigger takes time to get used too.
I would look at them both and choose the one that fits you best. They are both fine weapons.

#12 ·
The USP has a recoil reduction system. It's the softest shooting .45 I've ever used. Look at the new HK45.
Do you really think so? Shooting my Kimber Compact Stainless with the bull barrel against my USP40, I give the edge to the Kimber in regards to "felt recoil" (shooting 180 grn .40S&W factory loads vs. 230 grn .45ACP factory loads). Just my perception.:confused:

#13 ·
Have 'em both, love 'em both. I just prefer the 1911, that's all.

#17 ·
1911 for me, but may not be for you

Hold them both. Shoot em if possible. See which one your wallet likes. Point them both blindly and see which one your hand likes. See which one your wallet likes again. You have a tough choice. I know which way I went...over and over and over. My wallet hates me. Yours will too.

Btw, that lil Walther is fun as heck to shoot. I had a bit of a time adjusting to the sighting but once I did, it is very accurate. My wallet likes it.

#18 ·
Hold them both. Shoot em if possible. See which one your wallet likes. Point them both blindly and see which one your hand likes. See which one your wallet likes again. You have a tough choice. I know which way I went...over and over and over. My wallet hates me. Yours will too.

Btw, that lil Walther is fun as heck to shoot. I had a bit of a time adjusting to the sighting but once I did, it is very accurate. My wallet likes it.
my wallet like the p22 also :D its also a sweet lookin lil gun!

#19 ·
I am a 1911 fan, I carry a Les Baer PII everyday. IMHO the USP is about the best weapon made. They freeze it to 40 below, heat it up to about 150 degrees. Lodge a bullet in the barrel and shoot it, not only does it not blow up it will still hold a 2 1/12 inch group at 25 yards. Has a double recoil spring to reduce recoil. Sorry to rant but I think its about the best pistol made other then of course my Beloved 1911's.

#21 ·
my uses for the gun will be self defense, occasional concealed carry and target shooting (i like an accurate gun)

:)
I think that a 1911 would be a lot better for concealed carry because it's a bit thinner than the big USP 45. The 1911 is also a lot easier to buy holsters and reasonably priced magazines for.

As far as freezing the pistol or throwing it in the mud, that's great but if you're going to do that with a weapon, you would be better off with a club.

#22 ·
If you really want to get picky you can pick a used HK tactical 45 and the accuracy point will be moot. I have several and work for an HK dealer. The USP 45 tactical is as accurate a pistol as I have ever owned including 1911's. When i do not carry my 1911 I carry a HK tactical. Yes it is larger, but no harder to conceal if you are vigilant. Price wise a used tactical will run about 800, and to get a competative 1911 you will pay the same, maybe a little less. In the end it is your decision, just trying to give the facts from personal experience. I have vidoe on youtube if you wanna see it of me and a friend shooting them side by side in a dueling tree match. For every bang you hear, a nice clang is followed.....Snakeater

#25 ·
he can't help it he's a dept. sherriff.......LOL. Incidentally that tactical has around 20k rounds through it without a single problem (yet). I forgot to load three mags in the last video and actually hit the remaining target with a round that I threw at it.........that's what all the laughing was about. Snakeater

#38 ·
Humm I speak from 7+ years of experience, and have been CCW with my full size USP .45 strong side pancake 24/7 and have never been made. I have carried in WDW and Universal, rode all the rides, N I have done several high speed body slams on the ice while CCW and it never came out of the holster, N as I said previously the gun is still 100%.

#30 ·
I couldn't disagree more with some of the posts- I consider myself lucky because I own both. In fact, I own 2 usp's, one is a tactical and one is a regular usp. They are bulky weapons when considering using them for concealed carry. However, in a life or death situation, I wouldn't hesitate to grab either one of my usp's instead of my colt gold cup. I have NEVER had a problem with even one round through either of them, and I am constantly using different ammo (due to price variations). They may not be as pretty as my 1911, or as slick- but they are every bit as reliable and worth their price.

The tactical (with o-ring barrel, match trigger, elongated barrel) is extremely accurate.

Skorittnig

#31 ·
Okay - I'll admit to owning an H&K USP 45 (on this forum?).

I'll also admit to owning more than a dozen 1911 style pistols from 9's to 45', including Kimber, Springfield, Colt, High Standard, Wilson, & L.Baer.To me, the perceived grip girth on either my Para 16/40 or STI Edge is less than on the H&K USP.

Is the accuracy of the USP unparelled? I can't tell because I haven't shot it enough, although the very 1st two rounds I shot out of it left touching holes in the target @ 10 yards. Last time I shot it? Maybe 5 years ago right after I got it.

I'm sorry - I like the single action trigger on the 1911 too much to want to retrain myself on another trigger system. If you're just getting started in the 'game', I can understand your willingness to select the H&K over the 1911. It's kinda like the fact I have 40+ years vested in perfecting my skiing style, and I would want to switch to snowboarding for what reason?

Whether you choose to compete with it in USPSA competitions or IDPA, it will always score minor.

#32 ·
repete I regularly conceal a USP tactical with either a 5.11 vest or shirt throwed over them. With the right holster you can conceal anything. I have a friend who can hide a short barrel shotgun (12" barrel) very easily under a vest. Just takes the right gear and a little attention to detail. Snakeater

#33 ·
I have them both. My 1911 is a Kimber Eclipse (and I'm sorry to say I cannot afford to own more than one 1911 at this time, due to funds going towards a match grade rifle), and I have a full size USP. I shoot equally well with both, and yes, the Kimber does have a far better trigger, but I am used to the USP's trigger. The 1911 is more sensitive to maintenance than is the USP, so if I had to have one and it wouold be subject to a fair amount of neglect, it would be the USP. But, none of my guns receive less than the proper love and care, so I am happy to carry my Kimber concealed and leave the USP at home. I love the 1911 like nothing else.

#34 ·
Both are accurate pistols

I currently own a SA TRP Operator and 2 USP 45 (one fullsize, one compact).

All of them are fun to shoot.

The trigger on my TRP Op is WAY better than what is on the USP pistols. The sights on the 1911 are also more precise and she points better than either USP. All of them are accurate with proper practice.

However...

My TRP Operator has needed a couple of repairs where neither USP has suffered any problems. It might be that I shot somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 rounds thru my 1911... in the first year of owning it.

:biglaugh:

My USPc 45 has about 5,000 rounds thru her right now.

I believe the USP pistols are more durable than my 1911, but my TRP Operator is more accurate and lots more fun to shoot.

#36 ·
1911s require more care and attention to ensure reliability than USPs. Like Ken Hackethorn said, "If you treat your pistol like you do your lawnmower, get a Glock." 1911s were not designed to run dry in comparison to USPs. The 1911 is a great pistol in the hands of those that are very familiar with it's idiosyncracies. It's as Larry Vickers says, "for enthusiasts". I'm a 1911 enthusiast that truly appreciates high quality 1911s. Want to test the two side by side? Put 3000 rounds through each pistol without cleaning and lubing and see which one chokes first.

As for concealability, I can make both disappear under a light t-shirt with an IWB holster but the 1911 is flatter. For carry weight, the USP's lighter and after wearing mine for a full day, it's less noticeable for me.

Without using aftermarket mags, you still have more rounds in your mitt with the USP.

And after all is said and done, I still wouldn't hesitate to own the 1911.

#37 · (Edited)
Both are undoubtedly good guns but, in my opinion, the 1911 ranks way above it for better ergonomics, follow up, and trigger control. Just to give some insight, I have been shooting the USP 45 Std since 1998 and now exclusively shoot SA 1911 (TRP, MC Operator, and Custom). The USP that I currently have has a LEM trigger installed without the safety and decocker (Variant 7). Do I trust it, yes, but can I shoot well enough with it, yes, but does it handle as well as my 1911, no. Do I trust my 1911, yes - why, they have worked fine out of the box and had no issues yet besides changing out springs in the 47D magazine. Everyone writes about reliability and durability testing, but in truth, most of us will never put it through its paces as do the guys who are actually out there doing the deeds that needs to be done to keep us safe, be it CONUS or not.

I will say that I do not baby my guns, nor are they safe queens. In addition, I do not clean my 1911 after every session. I will at times, just because I maybe lazy, tired or just want to see when it chokes, not clean it for several thousand rounds. I have seen my MC Operator get sluggish when I work the slide but when I shoot it, it goes bang every time.

Darren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.