1911Forum banner

Springfield RO 1911?

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  kvtcomdo 
#1 ·
Hell all
I have not purchased a 1911 as of yet and the Range Officer is calling my name . The price of this pistol is right considering I'm on a budget.
what is your take on this particular model ? Pros/cons . I've been looking at the Taurus PT1911 but I really want a Springfield.

#5 ·
I am very impressed with mine. Slide/Frame fit when detail stripped is so tight you cannot hear any movement trying to rattle it, you can feel slight vert play. Forged frame and slide. Good gun to build off of, full of features if you don't want to ditch parts. I am upgrading the ignition system in mine to tool steel, not that it needs it, and throwing a magwell on it. The bushing feels like it was lapped into the slide, the fit to the barrel is not super tight, but way tighter than any factory pistol I have held before. I have no plans to replace the barrel or bushing at this point even though I have the tools and ability. Don't look at the Tarus again IMHO.

#6 ·
I have a good friend that loves his Taurus guns. However, he also likes Taurus customer service because he has had to send every one of them back (when new) to have problems corrected on the new guns.

Another friend was at the range this morning shooting his Taurus 1911. Most every time he shoots it, he finds something else needed to make it "right" for him. I'm not talking about new grips, etc., but rather basic stuff to get it to shoot right. He has multi 1911's. The Taurus in not his "pick of the litter."

I sent a new Ruger revolver back for repairs about three years ago and have since refused to buy any gun without being able to carefully inspect it first. By the way, I have several Ruger revolvers and love every one of them. Any company can produce a "lemon."

I declined three S&W revolvers (each ordered by my favorite LGS owner, just for me) due to minor problems including: no rifling's in one side of the barrel, bc gap of .012", sights that would not adjust, barrel/cylinder non-alignment, mis-timing, etc. etc. etc. (by the way, I love S&W revolvers). My LGS owner agreed with me on declining each of those new revolvers - he would have declined them too.:(

Back to your question about Taurus vs Springfield Range Officer: IMHO, get the RO!!!! I only have two of them and "box-stock," they are the best shooting handguns I've ever owned.

JMHO - YRMV

#12 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of the 1911s I've collected in the past year.

The SA Range Officer shoots as well as any in the group. If you weigh the price against all of the features that come standard on the RO, it is probably the best "value" in the group.

You'll never regret your decision to start with a Range Officer!

That $759 sounds about right. The best I've seen here in Western PA is $749.

#13 ·
The RO is an excellent 1911. Get it and you will be well pleased. $759 is a fair price. I paid $850 for mine w/ a Galco holster and a box of ammo. The accuracy of the gun is absolutely ridiculous. I have all stock parts on mine, but I want to switch out the sights for carry. There's nothing wrong with the adjustable sights, I just want a smoother profile. Trigger, BTW, was out-of-the-box as good as my friend's loaded that had had a trigger-job. Very crisp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.