1911Forum banner

Para LTC vs KImber? mid800

4K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Chuck S 
#1 ·
I am curiouos which is better and why
i know its all on preference and what you can shoot, but outside of that i watn to know the reliability, conistency, warranty, customer service, etc etc

i shot a para ordanace ltc stainless 4.25 .45 and what a gun! i loved it and could punch out the center of the traget

i havent shot a kimber, so i was wondering what are the main differences, features, etc to make one better than another?

the para is prettier haha which i like, the kimber custom target is kinda blah

anyways

please help me with helpful posts

thanks

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
purdue_ie said:
I am curiouos which is better and why

Niether. They are both good weapons. Over here you'll hear Para. Guess what you'll hear on the Kimber Forum.

[/QUOTE]
i shot a para ordanace ltc stainless 4.25 .45 and what a gun! i loved it and could punch out the center of the traget[/QUOTE]

There you go. Try to shoot the Kimber you're interested in too. I bet you'll prefer the Para even if you do shoot the Kimber. Para is usually more acurate out of the box in the price range we're talking about. My LTC is much more accurate than me and I'm pretty decent.

[/QUOTE]
so i was wondering what are the main differences, features, etc to make one better than another?[/QUOTE]

Features are pretty standard now days. I think the big difference is Para has SUPER CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! They will take care of you.

[/QUOTE]
the para is prettier haha which i like, the kimber custom target is kinda blah[/QUOTE]

Looks are important to some folks. And that's fine, we all have our own ideas. (Aint America Great) Me, I'm kind of a utility guy. Does it work like it's supposed to? Great, I don't need a pretty gun to shoot a bad guy to the ground.

[/QUOTE]
please help me with helpful posts[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't now how helpfull I've been but it's like the rest of us had to do. Research all these forums, handle the weapons, research the company and take the plunge.:cool: I'm not trying to be a smart alec, just trying to prepare you for the possability of a lot of strong opinions. Some folks are downright religious when it comes to brand names.

EDITED BY MODERATOR - Creek, when you are trying to quote someone you do not need a "/" in the FIRST set of parenthesis.

#3 · (Edited)
I have it's bigger brother the SSP. The ramped barrel is a feature along with Para's power extractor whicch is huge and works. Like the fact it is inside the gun rather than external. Gun is nearing 1,000 rds with no FTF to date. Para has great customer service should you need it and a lifetime warranty, covers everything. If it breaks they will fix it, As far as accuracy is concerned, pictures are worth a thousand words. Your test gun was not unique. Eight in there from 15 yards from a rest. If you do a search on this forum you will find other guys who have the LTC and love them.

#4 ·
LTC for Me

I have 2 LTCs. One stainless and one alloy. You can tell the fact I like them by the fact I own two. Both have been perfect out of the box. I alternate them as my carry gun so I trust my life to them. Great pistol.

#5 ·
Para Ordnance pistol should be in the $700-$750 range.

Contact Sportingarms dot com or look on their website. I'm seeing prices around $670 + $20 shipping + your local $10-$15 FFL transfer fee for $700 to $705 total cost. Add about $50 for the stainless steel models.

The model you want may not be posted. Leave 'em a message. I bought my Para CCW and Para LTC from them (and several other pistols).

Don't let a local FFL charge you any more than $15. Some in our area will do it for $5, but the drive is too far.

-- Chuck

#7 ·
The external extractor is not the Anti-Christ. Unless you mean the Kimber M1911 external extractor (Kimber part number 666)! This extractor looks externally much like the Glock extractor. And we all know Glocks never fail! ;)

Smith and Wesson external extractor isn't showing problems, nor is the external extractor on the later Browning Automatic Pistols. The PXT seems to be an excellent extractor as well.

-- Chuck

#8 ·
i was going to buy online, but i found a local place that would do it for...669, then with tax it comes to 726.94

this is the stainless 4.25 LTC, new in box, with 2 mags

now my dad is going to buy it, and its straight from the distrributor, i am worried since he doesnt know really much about guns, i just want to make sure that the trigger pull is the same as what i shot this summer at the demo day.

anyone?

thanks

*is the price good?

#9 ·
Good morning, purdue ie. Nice to meet you.

$669 is not bad for a new Para 4.25". In a quick search last night, the best I could find was $664 at sportingarms.com for a 4.25" P13-45SR with 10 round magazine (although Para says the SR is with Spec Ops two-tone green and black finish, where sportingarms lists it as a stainless steel finish). Plus shipping, plus your local fees (out west it's about $20 for your local FFL, plus the charge for the background check). $669 plus tax for a new gun with two magazines is not bad.

Don't forget to keep your eyes open for a good used Para. I bought my last one in September (5" P-14) for $479 plus tax at the local gun shop, and it performs flawlessly. I couldn't be happier with it.

Your question about trigger action and the quality of the gun: If you purchase a new Para and it doesn't perform as well as the demo, contact Para customer service. They are famous for taking care of new customers. Best of luck to you and your Dad. Shoot with him as often as you can.

#11 ·
i am set on the stainless, i called and the stinless was cheapter than then alloy and regal haha the guy was like, and what did i quote you for the stainless...right....****, ok well i already agreed to that price.

but now for maintaince, what products do you use to lube up and clean the gun? i am going to take it to a gun shop and they agreed to show me how to properly strip the gun and lube it, i want to baby this one more than my xd40, since the xd can take less maintaince, etc.

thanks

#14 ·
Chuck S said:
The external extractor is not the Anti-Christ. Unless you mean the Kimber M1911 external extractor (Kimber part number 666)! This extractor looks externally much like the Glock extractor. And we all know Glocks never fail! ;)

Smith and Wesson external extractor isn't showing problems, nor is the external extractor on the later Browning Automatic Pistols. The PXT seems to be an excellent extractor as well.

-- Chuck
Hmm, I just had a gentleman call the shop a couple weeks back wanting to know if I could replace the extractor in a S&W. External extractors are not a quick fix item, you break one in the field you better have a good assortment of tools with you.

Now back to the original question, if it was my money being spent I would choose the Para for several reasons.

Accuracy, I love a good accurate pistol. I've had the opportunity to test a lot of stock Para's right out of the box in a Ransom Rest and the accuracy they produced would make a lot of bullseye shooters happy.

Customer Service, I've never used Para's customer service but the few people that I know has, rate is as the best in the business.

When it comes to firing pin safety systems, the 80 series that Para uses is the best. There's been major problems with other firing pin safety systems.

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

#15 ·
That's the first broken S&W 1911 extractor I've ever seen reported.

Tell him to call S&W. S&W will pay to ship it back to Springfield, fix it to factory spec, and return ship it to him. They have a no-cost lifetime service policy.

I would prefer the Kimber with an internal extractor, Para with PXT next, and Kimber with external extractor last.

#16 ·
Proprietary parts is proprietary parts and the S&W extractor is no exception. Nor is the PXT extractor. Both extract, however, something often lacking in the Kimber designed external version. Only my '04 LTC has anything other than a standard extractor and I have several spares. I also have a complete, test fired PXT extractor in the box.

-- Chuck

#17 ·
my dad forgot today :scratch: so he will have to pickup friday, now this is going to delay it quite a bit, if he picks up after work at like 6ish at night, does that count as 1 day of the wait period or does it have to be within the business hours? so friday, monday, tuesday, wednesday, i can pickup thursday? :biglaugh:

i called my local gun shop and they said they use rem oil to clean their guns, is this ok to use?

can someone list and explain the procedure they use to properly tear down this gun and get it into shooting shape before i break in the barrel? like what do you use down the barrel? a few already mentioned the lube they use, any thing else would be greatly appreciated.

also, what is the best way to break in the barrel? i was told after about the first 3 shots, each shot clean the barrel, so is a few passes of a snake bore good enough? then after that they said after every 10 shots clean the barrel until like 50, if i recall right. i know breaking in the barrel is kinda important so i want to do it the best way so my LTC shoots like the demo gun i shot during the dealer day.

thanks for the posts!

#19 · (Edited)
purdue_ie said:
also, what is the best way to break in the barrel? i was told after about the first 3 shots, each shot clean the barrel, so is a few passes of a snake bore good enough? then after that they said after every 10 shots clean the barrel until like 50, if i recall right. i know breaking in the barrel is kinda important so i want to do it the best way so my LTC shoots like the demo gun i shot during the dealer day.
I clean and lube the pistol after I've bought it and got it home. This allows me to check fit and function. Then to break in the barrel, I shoot it about 200 times. I take it home and check for abnormal wear and clean it. Then I shoot it about 200 times...

You don't need to go through a complicated "break-in" process.

I'm also a fan of FP-10. I still clean the bore with Hoppe's, but FP-10 can handle the rest.

#20 ·
Another vote for FP 10. Use it in all my handguns. Like Hoppes for the barrel.

Here is a site that you might want to check out if you ever want to strip your gun down to the frame. About as easy to follow as any. Worked for me and I have more thumbs a centipede!
http://www.marstar.ca/AssemblyColt1911.htm

Enjoy your gun.

Stay Safe

#24 ·
Snake bores are great for a fast swipe during a match and a quick clean. Doesn't replace a good cleaning IMHO though. don't forget if you get leading, fastest way to get rid of it is to wrap a piece of copper padding (Chor Boy cleaning pads) around an old brush and pass through a couple of times. Works great is fast and effective. Just make sure you get the pure copper pads and not the copper coated steel ones.

Good luck with your Para and if you can outshoot the gun you are a better man than I.

Stay Safe & Merry Christmas

#25 · (Edited)
so is there a break in period? so when i first get it, it will be stripped down and cleaned/lubed, then do i have to clean it after X amount of shots? is there breaking in of the barrel in any particular way? so many rounds that have to be fired?

could someone post how they broke their gun/barrel in, what they did, used, etc

that would be great

thanks and have a great holiday

*the post may seem to be asking the same question as a few other posts in this thread, but it just sounds like people are shooting a few hundred rounds through it, but i wanted to ask more detailed information about the steps in between the few hundred rounds, or if its just shooting the rounds, then going home and cleaning it again

thanks

#26 ·
I Acually Own A S/s Ltc That I Bought About 2 Months Ago, And A Kimber Custom Ii That I Have Had For About A Year Now. I Have Put About 2000 Rounds Through The Ltc Without A Problem, And About 5000 Rounds Through The Kimber. Both Pistols Are Much More Accurate Than I Am. Never Had A Problem With Either One So I Have Not Had Any Experience With Their Customer Service.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.