1911Forum banner

Just received my 9mm GI

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jlduke 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting a 1911 in 9mm for years, and the RIA GI model got my interest. Just picked it up from my FFL on Thursday. After I field stripped it and wiped out all of the oil, I put a set of plastic GI grips on it and applied some Permablue paste to the logo to tone it down per Kevin08's lead in this thread:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=351812&highlight=billboard

Fit and finish are impressive for a gun at this price. My only complaint is that the edges of the grip safety are quite sharp and uncomfortable on the thumb. I hope to get it to the range in the next couple of weeks and she how she cycles.

So here are the before and after pics, along with a shot of the Permablue, dabbed on with a Q-tip and left on for about 3 minutes before wiping.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the comments Cappi. I did give it a little stoning on the edges since I posted and put some cold blue on it. I also took it apart further. Man, getting the MSH out was a pain! the finish on the inside edges was pretty rough. I'm going to try to smooth that out some before I reassemble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.