1911Forum banner

RIA 1911 A2 High Cap Wide Body Aftermarket Grips?

13K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  tornrnyboy72 
#1 ·
Anyone know of any companies making aftermarket grips for this model besides the Hogue Wraparounds or any grips that will covert from another model? I heard RIA was working out a deal with VZ Grips to start making some but I can't find anything on the web. I heard that the P14 grips from Para Ordnance are close but the screw holes don't line up. Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
Night Al when I spoke with RIA a couple months ago they told me they were working a deal with VZ to produce grips for the A2 but that they did not think the Para grips would work. I will definitely give VZ a call on Monday and find something out and post back.

#8 ·
I have an update to post. I called VZ today and left a message early this morning because both Mike and John were not available. I never received a return call so called back at the end of the day and got Mike directly, apparently Ashley had never relayed the message as was promised.

The only model grips that VZ makes for the RIA A2 is the Operator II model and only in the color black and only in limited supply. From what I understand from the conversation I had with Mike, VZ makes these grips mainly for the RIA company to put on A2 models from the factory but makes limited supplies available to owners of A2's as aftermarket grips. VZ will not expand their grip line models or their colors available for the A2 unless RIA requests optional colors and models available for factory installs on the A2.

Seems to me if you know there are owners willing to purchase these grips in several models and colors it would be wise to offer them to the consumer especially if you would have the market cornered on that particular item but that is just me. I was not really all that impressed with VZ's customer service skills or their company's way of doing business.

Also found out that while the Para grips are the correct size the mounting screw holes will not line up with the RIA A2 mounting posts.

I am going to put in an email to Tombstone Gun Grips and see what they will do for me.

#9 ·
I have another update. I talked to Chris at Aluma Grips today and had a great experience. He told me he had sold a set of his grips to an RIA A2 owner in the past and the guy had to fit the grips with a dremmel around the safety area. He also told me that he would send me a set of scrap grips free of charge and that way if they don't fit I am not out any money. That is the way business should be done and customer service should be exhibited. He gave me his cell phone number and since I work nights I called him when I woke up this evening after business hours, more or less just to leave a message, and to my surprise he answered and was very cordial. I will be calling him tomorrow with my address so he can send me the grips. I will post pics and and suggestions and tips on how difficult the fitting was when I get done fitting the grips. I am very happy with the way Aluma Grips does business and just wanted to let you high cap A2 owners know that this may be an alternative to stock or Hogue grips.

#10 ·
I talked to Chris today and got some unexpected good luck. He did not have any right side grips in the scrap pile, only left sides, so he told me he was going to do another run of Para grips in the next couple of days and to just email him my address and he would just send a new set to experiment with and fit free of charge. I offered to pay him for the shipping and he stated it would only be a couple of bucks so not to worry about it. Wonderful company and great customer service.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE
#13 ·
everhome your pics make that look like a simple job with a dremel. Thanks for the illustrations. Upon talking to Chris he stated that the screw holes on those alumagrips were 3.081 inches apart and when I measured the screw holes on my gun they were exactly 3 inches from center to center so they are not that far off and I agree with you, it shouldn't be that hard shave a bit off the screw holes to get them to line up perfectly. From your pics I don't think I will be needing a gunsmith to fit them either, it looks like something I should be able to do myself. Thanks a bunch for the pics and directions.

#14 ·
I just received the shipping notification today from Chris at Aluma Grips on the free set of grips he is sending me. I can't wait to get them in and get them fitted to the gun. I will post some pics when I get them on.

#15 ·
I received the Aluma Grips in the mail but now have to wait till I get my gun back from the smith who is installing Williams Fire Sights before I can fit the grips. Here are some pics though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.