1911Forum banner

Wondering the reputation of these companies

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  larryf1952 
#1 ·
I was looking though gun world: concealed carry handguns and I saw several 1911 manufactures that I've never heard of.

1.american classic- really cheap in the magazine
2. Auto ordanace- still really cheap
3. Century arms- they are the manufacturer of the Arcus 98 da
4. Magnum research-they make the desert eagle.
5. Thompson custom 1911A1

#3 ·
Auto ordnance is an old player. So is Thompson. Magnum research is as well. Not to sure about the other two.

#6 ·
Actually I don't think that CAIA manufactures any firearms; they are strictly an importer. Imports mainly consisting of surplus firearms.

American Classic is made by Metro Arms and is imported by Eagle Imports; it is a fairly well made Philippine made series 70 1911 clone. They are not without issue but all in all a very solid and well finished gun considering their lower cost.

Magnum Research may have the Desert Eagle but it is no longer the Israeli made Desert Eagle that grew to fame several years back.

Thompson think back in history of the Tommy Gun yep same name but look into the parent company and you will find Karr.

#11 ·
The new Auto-Ordnance 1911s have a good rep...

The Century arms guns? Well, ATI imports them so does Iver Johnson, a few folks have the ATI FS and Commander sized variants and seem happy with them. Stay away from any long gun they import by all accounts, I hear their Galils and AKs have a way of sometimes just not working.

Magnum research now carries a 1911 manufactured by Bul, looked at one today doing Tax Return recon, seemed like a nice enough gun. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/16139 This is the only Thompson Custom I know of, it's made by Auto Ord as well.

Other options are the RIA and Citadel lines both manufactured by Armscor (I prefer the RIAs, they have awesome CS and a lifetime warranty).

American Classic for some time had issues with the first round feeding and a few ramps were (from what I recall) improperly cut. The feeding issues due to some out of spec mag catches. Haven't heard of many problems and as far as fit and finish goes they're some of the nicer low dollar 1911s I've seen...that being said they still have casting marks on the frame and tool marks inside...because it's a four hundred and fifty dollar 1911.

#12 ·
If you check this forum you will find that many on this forum own the Desert Eagle 1911, myself included. It's about a $700 retail 1911 that is an outstanding mid priced gun. I own many 1911's, and it compares very well to some of my other mid priced 1911's such as my Kimber Stainless II & Custom TLE II, my Ruger SR1911, and my Sig Tac Op. Of course it doesn't match up well with my higher end 1911's, but neither do any of the other mid priced 1911's I mentioned.

I also own a few other Magnum Research guns such as the Baby Desert Eagle all steel 4.5" 9mm (the most accurate gun I own, and I own a LB, EB, etc) and the Desert Eagle Mark XIX 44mag semi auto. Magnum Research (recently purchased by Kahr Arms) makes excellent firearms.

#15 ·
A lot of Century Arms Internationals' longguns such as the older M1 Garands and the CETME rifles are parts-kits built on American made receivers in St.ALbans,Vermont. Quality of these ranges from very good to shoddy, expecially the M1s. I've had three of them, two were good shooters,the third I ended up tearing down and scrapping the receiver. I also have a CAI CETME in 308Win. Very reliable and accurate rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.