1911Forum banner

A few gripping questions

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  bill5074 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have couple of questions for you. How many of you remove your grips when cleaning your DW's and do you worry about what solvents will do to them if you don't. I use Hoppes #9 myself but wanted to know about the long term affects if any. Thanks

Mike

#2 ·
The only time I remove the grips is when I am completely stripping her down!!
When just doing a top side cleaning I don't. I never had a issue with any of my pistols with wooden grips.
Now you have to realize we are talking about just a cleaning and NOT a soaking!!!

#3 ·
I personally remove the grips for anything but a quick wipedown. As for what Hoppe's will do to a grip panel, that really depends on what the grip is made of AND what finish is on it. Obviously, wood grips with a simple oil finish will get eaten alive if Hoppe's is applied and allowed to sit there. Other finishes like polyurethane are more resistant. Your man made products like Micarta are less prone to damage like that, and the lighter color and more mottled the pattern, the less the damage will show. A set of honed black paper micarta will still show damage in the form of color differences if the solvent is allowed to sit there long enough.
Best bet is to take the 15 seconds to take the panels off when cleaning. Then you can slather that thing in Hoppe's without fear or regret.
Good luck!
Sarge

#5 ·
I also remove mine for each cleaning. I did not always do this, and one time I took the finish off a set (Yes Sarge, a set of yours...:bawling::bawling:). I use brake cleaner though. Other cleaners may not be as destructive, but why take a chance

I refinished the grips, and now I ALWAYS remove them when cleaning.

#7 ·
Sometimes they ARE tight like that. Mine were the same way. I just took a few minutes of playing with getting my fingernail under the edge and working it around from there until I had loosened it enough to pull the first one off. the second one is always easy because you can knock on it from the backside to get it off. If you get a small gap going on the first, but still can't get it off, you can pry it with a butterknife edge or similar, but ALWAYS remember to put some paper or something protective between the frame and the prying object. Don't want to mar the finish!
Good luck!
Sarge

#11 ·
TinMan,
Just a suggestion if the stock grips are so tight.....
A few easy strokes with a rat tail file in the grip holes will alleviate that problem. Just don't get carried away or they'll be too loose. A couple of strokes, then put them on the weapon and check fit. I always hold them up to the light and look for shiny spots (indicating rubbing) and then hit just that area until the fit is good.
Easy stuff.
Good luck!
Sarge

#13 ·
Being that I use Prolix, I don't have to worry about any ill effects on wood, plastic, etc. as it's a citrus based solvent and it's actually good for the wood. You should try it! The best stuff out there IMO.

#16 ·
I remove the grips every time I clean. I clean every time I shoot. Remove grips, field strip the gun, detail strip the slide, and clean away. It's just not worth it to save a few seconds and take a chance on ruining something I paid a lot of money for.
For stubborn panels here's what I do. Use an allen wrench to start the first panel. Go in through the mag opening and use the short bend inside like a prybar using the opposite side of the well for leverage. It doesn't take much. Once you have a gap, then follow though like Sarge said. Then pop off the second panel from the inside. Doing it my way, (works for me) there's less likely a chance of marring the finish. And if you do, it's in the magwell where it's going to get hit anyway.
Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.