1911Forum banner

Police: Man shoots self in leg at gun show

4K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  fadedsun 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I picked up a compact Star in 9mm at a gunshow at a table, went to clear it, dropped the mag, it was stoked with HPs, racked the slide back and a round was in the chamber. The seller hurried over and was shocked to realize that he'd never bothered to clear his old carry piece before putting it up for sale...the sad part was four other people fingered it before I did and I was just checking it out of habit. Reminded me why I treat all guns as if they were already loaded. Something like this or worse could have gone down. Not the first person to do this at a gunshow, sadly it won't be the last.

#8 ·
Well stated Kodadek. The ONLY weapon I deam safe is the one I personally checked and cleared, and even then, I treat it as a loaded weapon.

With firearms, Mr. Murphy is ALWAYS lurking, just waiting for ONE SECOND of carelessness.

#11 ·
I figured you'd call "bollocks" on the story just because it supposedly happened in Georgia, Walter. :D

#13 · (Edited)
I will also venture to ask this.

How many of us would have trotted out to the parking lot and loaded a firearm we had just purchased. I don't think that I have ever loaded any new firearm until I got to the range for a thorough clean, lube and testing session.

This guy might have worked pretty hard to shoot himself...

Is there is the MOST REMOTE possibility that Walter could be right?:D

P.S. Calling ANYTHING "safe" or "safety" causes idiots and small children to learn new ways to hurt themselves with it because they forego the use of basic common sense.

#14 ·
You might have hit the nail right on the head. I've never purchased a gun, new or used, headed out the door, hopped into my car, and then loaded for bear..still, the gun "handling" I've seen at gunshows often scares the everloving crap out of me.

#15 ·
...and yet there are some fanatics who think it's a good idea to allow people to carry CCW's at gun shows... :scratch:

#21 ·
Yeah, those are the same kind of fanatics who think it's a good idea to allow people to carry CCW's at restaurants, in malls, in department stores, etc. :hrm: :rolleyes:

#16 ·
The person posted on his facebook page that the gun was a Springfield, he even posted a picture of his wound. He works as a bouncer at a strip club. In other words, he's a genius :).

#18 ·
1. This happened in the parking lot, not at the show itself, as the media loves to angle it.

2. There are a lot of new CCW folks out there who are excited to get their first gun and carry for the first time. It's doesn't seem at all strange to me that someone might want to load it and wear it from the parking lot.

3. I've seen a great many stories of "more experienced" people who have had a ND.

4. There really need to be more gun people interested in helping train the thousands of new CCW-holders out there, rather than laughing at them when a potentially deadly accident happens.

#19 ·
Could we laugh a little first?

#23 ·
Well, he'd better learn how to handle the weapon in the parking lot. The strip clubs back where I am from don't serve alcohol (usually) and serve juice instead, so they can be full nude. Yet these establishments also post signs that no guns are allowed.

I guess they figure that guns and juice don't mix.

So this bouncer had better learn how to load/unload his weapon in a parking lot, because he probably won't be able to wear it in to "work."

#28 ·
Ha, Ha. That was kind of low, but I think I see your point. With rise in new gun owners and new CCW states, combined with the rising sells of the 1911. There is going to be rise NGs with them, no matter how many safeties. I believe this guy is one who falls into this scenario, only the untrained would strap on a gun the day after they bought it. I don't know, maybe he shot 4 boxes of ammo thru it the day before, I doubt it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.