1911Forum banner

Question about JHP's and RIA

5K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Jester122 
#1 ·
Got a new and first Rock a few days ago... Love it.

The warranty little paper says that it's only for ball ammo though. Does this mean that if I shoot hollow points out of it that the warranty is void?
Also, I took the frame apart and put it back together, did this void my warranty?

#2 ·
Congrats on your new RIA Roland!!!:rock:

To answer both questions the answer is no!!

They are built to feed FMJ reliably not JHP, thus the reason for that statement. Some will feed anything you put in the 1911 and some will need some work. Basically if you do not do anything to the RIA to make it not function as it should then you should be good to go. Take the dreaded Dremel tool to it and cause it to malfunction then you void the warranty.

#3 ·
The 1911 was designed for battle use and hollow point ammo was unheard of at the time. Most modern 1911's can shoot HP's reliably as is or with a simple mag change. My FS 9mm Tactical functions the same with hollow points as well as ball ammo. I simply used the correct designed mags, in my case the Springfield/Metalform 9-shot.
The statement concerning only for ball ammo is like Auto Mag said - the pistol was designed for ball ammo and the basic design has not changed in 100 - no, make that 101 years.

#4 · (Edited)
Not all JHPs are the same some are more round some are sharper some are flat some stick out more. Then you most also use a mag that helps keep the round pointed towards the barrel. Just buy a bunch of ammo and see what works best, mine runs the cheap stuff WWB JHP and the Remington UMC JHP.

Does taking gun apart void warranty no does shooting JHP void warranty no, but if you send it in claiming feed issues with JHPs they might say the gun was not made to use JHP but I highly doubt it Armscor has great customer service

#20 ·
Not all JHPs are the same some are more round some are sharper some are flat some stick out more. Then you most also use a mag that helps keep the round pointed towards the barrel. Just buy a bunch of ammo and see what works best, mine runs the cheap stuff WWB JHP and the Remington UMC JHP.

Does taking gun apart void warranty no does shooting JHP void warranty no, but if you send it in claiming feed issues with JHPs they might say the gun was not made to use JHP but I highly doubt it Armscor has great customer service
when i called amrscor about this the guy i talked to said they could tune it for jhp's, but it would cost $80.

#5 ·
My RIA has had about 500 rds shot and does not like particular JHP loads. Winchester Ranger JHP fails to feed at around 50% for me. Remington Golden Saber functioned flawlessly but I did not shoot much of it. The rounder or pointier JHPs work best like Golden Saber or Hornady Critical Defense.

Remember, If this is a carry gun shoot a few boxes of your carry ammo before considering it reliable.

#6 ·
My Rock is a real ammo-Slut! It'd feed Buicks if I could find a way to load them. To date,I've tried about eleven different JHP shapes and it's fed them all. I currently carry with Winchester Premium SXTs in 230 guise(Same as the S45A Black Talon, just a different color).

#14 ·
Let me know how it goes for sure. Curious.. Is it because you have a more quality weapon, or because you wouldn't trust in your 2011 for those things?

#15 · (Edited)
Actually, I am 5' 9" and 168lbs so I carry a Walther PPS (smaller than a full size 1911. I also live in Tx, so open carry is not an option). I have a PPQ for winter carry as well so it just never interested me. It is also heavy and pretty large. I do want to get another, smaller, 1911 and use it for occasional carry though. I'll post up how it goes, nonetheless.

As far as not using the RIA for defense at the house, I always feel that a shotgun is a better defensive option than a handgun. Neither here nor there, but to answer your question, that's why.

#18 ·
I just use the excuse that when the zombies come it's faster to reload the 1911 than it is the Shotgun. Ar15 and its mags, 1911, 9mm, shotgun, then bolt action rifle and if it's need I will grab the wheel gun.

I figure that I have enough loaded mags worth of ammo to sop a good 100 zombie raid pretty easy.

Actually I think I would have more fun head shotting the zombies from 200 yards down my drive way. So I would probably use the rifle first. /derailment.

#16 ·
As far as ammo is concerned, 230g FMJ's work just fine. I like the peforrmance of Win Ranger 230g. When the gun is fresh and clean, they load and fire just fine. after several mags, I notice that things slow down. They start to "dig in" to the ramqp. But then again all those people shooting those puny little bullets need JHP's to get their slug to expand to the size of a 230g ball!!

#23 ·
I bought my CS in 2008, I shot FMJ for about 350 rounds before I even tried HPs, I just started to mix them into the Mag. 1or 2-3 in ea. Mag., then after about 425rounds they feed and worked okay. I did polish the feed ramp with some chrome polish ,now have 4200 round through it. I have only shot Federal HYDRO SHOK HPs. in it, have tried no others. that is what worked for me.........

#25 ·
Try the Hornady TAP FPD ammo and Corbon DPX... Both of those have fed very very reliably in my F/S Tactical RIA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.