1911Forum banner

S&w 586

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  submoa 
#1 ·
Found a 586 in the local pawn shop yesterday. Older one without IL and transfer bar. I want quite a bit but it was noticeably worn with slight rust and the guy wanted $600 for it. I'm thinking I should just buy a brand new one but the IL and transfer bar kind of bother me. What do you guys think?

Edit: I haven't asked if he'd lower his price yet, which might ne a determining factor.

#2 ·
If it has rust then most likely the rest of it does. Not worth $600 if it is just a common 586. If you can find out what exact model it is by opening up the cylinder and looking on the crane, then you can tell. If you really want a 586, check out smith-wessonforum.com.

James

#6 ·
I could maybe see paying $600 for that in a back alley in NYC for the gun, but anywhere else that's too much for a poorly maintained gun. Too much even for a minty one unless it were ANIB.

I think a 4" 686/586 is about the most perfect .357 magnum for the money, so I encourage you to find another.

#10 ·
S&W has re-introduced the 586. I saw a 4" one a couple of weeks ago. It looked great, except for the annoying trigger lock on the frame. It was priced at $699.00, at LGS. I was tempted, but I hate that damn lock. Other than that the finish was superb and I liked the wood stocks on it.

#12 ·
Like this poster said.

Walk away from that one. They are trying to rip you off.

#14 ·
Ummm....I'm surprised no one has noticed this. S&W has NEVER and doesn't currently use a transfer bar. Ruger, Colt, and Taurus do, but S&W uses a "hammer block" safety rather than a transfer bar. I can just about guarantee that 586 has a hammer block, too.

Do this test:

1- Check to make sure all the chambers are empty.

2- Close the cylinder and note the position of the hammer.

3- Dry fire once and keep the trigger held back. You should see the hammer is set more deeply into the frame than before you pulled the trigger. If you look through the frame from one side you should also see the firing pin protruding from the frame into the top chamber (in other words, the firing pin would have struck a primer had a round been there).

4- Watch the hammer as you let go of they cylinder. It should move backwards slightly, and looking through the frame in the same spot as previously you'll notice the firing pin is no longer visible.

If all this occurs (and I can guarantee it will, since the 586 has always used the hammer block), the gun is equipped with a hammer block safety. Rather than the transfer bar you referred to that leaves a gap between the hammer and firing pin, the firing pin is ON the hammer. The hammer block is an internal piece that prevents (i.e. "blocks") the hammer from going all the way forward unless you pull the trigger.

#16 ·
Sorry I haven't had time to write on here recently. Sbeatty, after you mentioned the 27, I started looking at them. Can anybody vouch for the accuracy of a 4in barrel? I've never dealt with one as my revolvers are all 6in or better. Thanks.

#17 ·
I have never had a model 27.

However I do have three model 28s. They are essentially the same gun. All three of mine are tack drivers. If you get a model 27 that does not shoot well. Then it has likely been abused or severely neglected at some point. They are generally excllent shooters.

#18 ·
Just spoke with a gun buddy this morning..and he was anxious to show off his new revolver that he just bought last friday. It was a 4" S&W 686 stainless that he bought from a local Bay area dealer for only $695...plus tax! BRAND NEW! Think new! It ain't worth the pitifully small amount of dollars saved to deal with issues on a pawn shop gun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.