1911Forum banner

Gun Maintenance Log (Log Books/Forms)

39K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  survivaldenver 
#1 ·
Curious if anyone here keeps a log on any of thier guns as far as dates of range sessions, number of rounds, bullet types, cleanings go...?

Asking because I have a friend who is looking for some type of log book to keep this information contained in. If anyone knows of a gun log book, or forms that could be found online, that would be great!

#3 ·
I set up a log for each of my 1911's on an Excel spreadsheet. Included are number of times at which range, dates, rounds fired that day, total rounds fired, when I changed which spring, when I cleaned and lubed,when I detail stripped each one, the names and dates of each gun class I attended.

I think that's it. FWIW, this system works great for me. :)

#23 ·
That's a great idea...... I think I'll take it a step further and hire a good-looking young "Records Wench" to accompany me to the range. If she has a sister, maybe I'll train her as my "Disassembly & Cleaning Wench", too ! :biglaugh: Just kidding......although the idea intrigues.

#4 ·
I do the same thing "facilitator" does. I did up an Excel spread sheet and record my sessions (eg. date, ammo used, cumulative round count, event, comments which include any malfunctions or simply "flawless" performance during that session, any repairs, mods or replacement of parts). I do it more as a way to ensure that I'm changing parts out at the recommended intervals.

#5 ·
I've done that for 37 years. I maintain an FFL log, that way I can keep track of firearms I own, and have sold, where I got them, and where they went.

For each firearms I own, I maintain one of those composition books, for the weapons I obtained before computers were common place, since the introduction of the IBM PS/2 Mod 30, I maintain said logs using a microsoft word formated document allowing me to keep both digital and print copy in a binder type book. In it, on the first page is acquisition information, date of first cleaning, what ammo is used for each range trip, how the weapon handled, accuracy, how the ammo handled, how the magazines worked, plus, range information such as distance, climate, wind speed, direction.

I keep notes like these so that I know how each individual weapon handles, what ammo it prefers, plus it allows me to keep an accurate count of ammo fired as that tells me what maintenance must be done on the weapon, for semi-auto handguns, it let's me know accurate round count so that every 3k rounds I can change springs and such, plus, most important, when the weapon gets into the very high count range like my 1st gen Glock 17 with nearly 96k rounds, I can send it in to the factory for inspection and or replacement.

#6 ·
Yes. For each of my Wilson pistols I use a separate 3"x5" bound notepad. At each range session, I record date, no. of rounds fired that session, no. of rounds fired to date, mags used, ammo used, and any pertinent comments. I also record any changes, repairs, mod's, or additions to the gun and the date.

#7 ·
Still waiting on my first gun, but I hadn't considered this before. I'm going to take some pointers from whats been said so far and do the same.

#52 ·
This program is top notch! I use this and it's really put together quite well and its free!

Excel Spread Sheets....they're not just for accountants anymore.
My wife is a CPA...she laughed at this but she did draw her 38 at the same time....:biglaugh:

#10 ·
Good information here guys. Thanks for your input.

I think I'll put together an excel preadsheet for my buddy and I to use.

I think it's a great idea, not only to remind yourself as to when certain parts should be changed out but if your gun is malfunctioning, you can look back in the log and see what, if anything has changed and correct the problem.

It's always neat when you buy a used car and the previous owner has kept a detailed maintanence log - no different when buying a used gun...although I have never seen one for the later...

Also, as with a car, it's always good to know how many miles are on the odometer just as how many rounds are through your gun.

#11 ·
I made up booklets for each pistol. Then had them printed and saddle stitched at Kinkos or someplace like that. Finished size is 8.5 by 5.5

Has thing such as Make/Model/SN/purchase price/wjere purchased/date bought What accesories have been changed (grips etc.) This is on the cover and inside cover.

Round count for each range session, Total round count
Spring changes and a comments section. This is on each page. Each book gives me 100 range visits.

#15 ·
so far a 1911s go..... For most I use the light cleaning every time they are used and major cleaning when they are dirty method... No schedule...:) No counting...:)

Match guns have the top end removed (slide and barrel) and cleaned after every match... Detail strip/clean/inspect annually....

#16 ·
I have a book for most of my guns giving some of the history of each one, especially "family" type info. I'd like to think those books will follow the guns long after I'm croaked. It would be so cool to have info like that on some guns that the history has been lost on...
Beyond that, I clean my guns after each range session, but no record keeping. Life is complicated enough already.
Marty

#20 ·
I have a PDF of the log that I use. If anyone wants a copy just email me.

It is about 125K in size and will cover 50+ range sessions. You can make it bigger or smaller by adding or deleting pages. I suggest printing double sided on 32 pd stock with an 80 pd cover at Kinko's or OfficeMax and having them saddle stitch into a booklet. It works well for me.

MODS I would love to send it to you to make a sticky out of if you are interested.

#22 · (Edited)
I log all my weapons. Now my pistols are less formal than say a sniper rifle.

I have a spiral bound hardback notebook with standard notebook lines.

At the top:

Name/model of weapon
Serial #
Purchase price/date/ and from whom.

Below that I keep a running count on rounds through pistol. Weapon is cleaned after every shooting so that is not logged. If there is a spring change or repair that is logged sequentially. Hence I can count how many rounds through weapon. Rounds on certain parts.

Now if there is a period of unusual usual usage that is logged: IE HG V TDI 1200 rounds. 1.1.08

One thing I learned when I started booking rounds, was I wasn't shooting nearly as much as I thought I was. It was very embarrassing.

Today, I shoot a lot more.

I say do it.

Regards,
Greyson

#25 ·
LOL, my 1st gen glock is at round count 95,789 according to my log with no mods at all to the gun itself. My other Glocks all have match grade stainless bbls from Loneworlf, but I've left this 1st gen alone. It's never seen a holster and looks nearly as mint as the day I brought her home. I have contacted Glock about sending it in and having it inspected and they've stated they'd like to keep it, and give me my choice of any replacement :rock: , my dillema now is which one to go with.

#26 ·
I used to keep these types of detailed records. Then I found that it just really didn't matter. I can tell when a gun is due for some preventive maintenance just by shooting it or inspecting it. I've got better things to do with my time than fill out a bunch of records.

But, if it makes you happy - go for it. :)

#28 ·
Im with DK64 I just try to keep my guns out of the rain and clean. I feel a log book is not called for for pistols. I feel they would be called for with long range rifle shooting competiotion. Im not knocking it either way if it floats your boat log ever thing you do.

#31 ·
This is an argument for booking. I know when I interface with a gunsmith or maker of a weapon, they always want to hear my exact round count and show more interest in the weapon. It gives them to a chance to see how things are wearing.

Regards,
Greyson

#35 ·
One other thing, it makes it much easier to sell the weapon if the potential buyer can see exactly how the guns been used while in your care. It's a very rare thing for me to sell a weapon, but every so often I'll find some good bargains and I'll buy them simply for trading value.

But in all respects, I keep as good maintenance logs on weapons as I do on my cars, and that means having to know your weapons inside out, so if you go to a gunsmith that you don't know, he can show you the problems and instead of nodding your head so as to not look foolish, you actually nod in understanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.