1911Forum banner

Urgent: US&S Opinions Needed

4K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  vette 
#1 · (Edited)
Esteemed colleagues - Please take a look at the pics below, and let me know opinions, and what you would be comfortable paying.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow, and want to make sure I'm treating both of us fairly.

Thanks,

Buck

#6 ·
Why do you think the trigger is wrong? It appears to have borderless checkering from what I can see. It's not a glossy Du-Lite blue however, giving further suspicion that the entire piece might be refinished.

#7 ·
Thank you guys very much.

I knew I could count on you.

The pics aren't the best, but they're all I'll have until I inspect it.

Seller says it has an HS barrel in it.

I did notice the serrated vs. checkered slide stop, and the finish looked a little too good.

Let's assume it has been refinished.

What's top dollar?

#9 ·
They are sandblasted and dull slate like finish. The triggers are usually a shinney blue, but DuLite.

These pictures are pretty bad. I have a strong leaning that the finish is original. We need to know the MSH checkering, hammer checkering and if the HS barrel still has original DuLite blue. If it checks out, as a nice first variation, it should bring $3500-4000 in the markets I frequent. Good luck.

#21 ·
Hi Guys - I ended up getting it, and spent some quality time with it in the shop tonight.

Took it all the way down, cleaned, oiled, etc.

I'll drag it outside for a photo shoot tomorrow, and share pics with you guys.

Thanks again for the help guys - I really appreciate it.

#23 · (Edited)
Ansel Adams I'm Not...

So, thought I'd get some good pics in the morning indirect sun.

Looked great on the camera - translated for dooky.

Anyhow, I guess rely on the close-ups for finish stuff, and the darker overalls for a tutorial in how not to take pics. (I grasp the concepts, my execution just stunk). :)

Anyhow, thanks again for all the support.

I'm real happy to have it, and met a really nice guy in the process.

Attachments

#25 ·
That MSH should have triggered some concern, even if it were a US&S, since its finish is so different and worn.

If you paid $1500-1800 you are safe even if refinished. That is about what refinished US&S seem to be saleing for. Does the feedramp have blueing or is it in the white. Pictures of the hammer and just a good left and right profile may help. The hammer pin looks like a bad sign looking at the finish on the pin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.