1911Forum banner

New Tactical recoil spring won't except g.i. guide rod

5K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  sevenroundsamurai 
#1 ·
So I was going to convert my Tactical's flgr to to standard G.I. (save the why's please) when I came across a prob. The spring just "crunches" up when I rack the slide. It is a genuine Colt Gov. guide rod and plug I am using. I tried the Rock's spring both directions just to make sure it wasn't in backwards, same "crunching and binding". I then put in the recoil spring from my series 80 Colt with the Colt rod and plug and the Rock functioned perfectly. What is the problem with the spring bunching up? The gun is brand new so the spring should not be "shot".

#12 ·
Reason I asked Cappi is that I've got an Accu-Match Dual-Action Buffer System(How's that for a long title) in my parts bin. The spring for it is shorter than a Gov't recoil spring. Wierd system, back of the guide-rod sits on the Link.

#17 ·
I don't know what would have caused what you said, the springs that fit the 1911 guide rod should have the same inside diameter, the only thing I could think of was the spring was (1) two small inside diameter, dragging on the guide rod. (2) two large outside diameter dragging inside the slide. I guess you tried mixing them up with you other springs and guide rods, you can't tell what is going on inside because you can't see inside. you could take a pencil and draw around the spring as it sets on one end, on a piece of paper, then take the other spring and set it on the drawing to see if they are the same size around, outside diameter.the heaver the spring the thicker the wire, the inside should be the same size.

#22 ·
Spring design

I don't have a RIA GM,but, I do own several older Colts and SAs, the Recoil spring supplied on the Older 1911s had the last coils on the GR end closed and then the Plug end was open. The Mil-Spec Plug had a indentation/cut that allowed the Open spring coil to "thread" on. Nice, it kept you from launching Plugs. BTW these are now available. Is the Recoil Spring on the RIAs (GM size) closed coils at the Guide Rod end, Open Coils on the plug end? I only own a CS-Tactical, different configuration.

#24 ·
Is the Recoil Spring on the RIAs (GM size) closed coils at the Guide Rod end, Open Coils on the plug end? .
it's quite possible it's closed on both ends .
My last Rock's spring was

Why would you say to get an 18# spring? The original spec is a 16#.
Bill, Armscor (the makers of RIA) upped the weight some time ago.
Not exactly sure when they did, but I know that they did.
an Armcor rep mentioned the spring weights on the other board some months ago.
Full size get an 18 pnd recoil spring now.

I can only presume it was an attempt to decrease the amount of FTRTB some folks have with their new Rocks.
BTW, they also lowered the mainspring wt to 18 pound..

My original Rock (made in '07) had 16 pnd recoil spring and 23 pnd mainspring

FWIW, I use Wolfe 16 pnd recoil springs when replacement time is due.
But the stock OEM spring is 18

..L.T.A.

#29 ·
I use the 16lb spring in my FS pistols, unless you have some other problems with your pistol it should be okay. they used to use 16lb springs, but for some reason a year or so ago they changed their spring set up, they did have a 16 recoil spring and a 23lb main spring. now they use the 18lb recoil spring and a 18lb main spring. someone at Armscor must be smarter than JMB.???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.