1911Forum banner

Rear of Slide to frame mating

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Nivek 
#1 ·
So I need some more help from you fellows. I have this unsightly overhang on the back of my slide and frame. The slide sits forward from the frame maybe a 1/16 or more.

The frame is a foster mil spec, standard GI slide, colt mark IV barrel, and a standard link.

What can I do to fix this problem? I know I could just dremel to match, but I'm more interested in what is causing this misalignment. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Does the thumb safety line-up with its notch in the slide? If barrel fit seems OK, then I'd say it's just a cosmetic issue and dremel to match.
Your parts shouldn't need much fitting, the barrel being a drop-in, so there shouldn't have been much opportunity to mis-fit anything, like overcutting the lower barrel lugs.

#4 ·
In looking at the excellent fit of the grip safety, seems a shame for the slide to receiver fit to be so far off. You said the barrel is Colt, what brand is the standard G I slide ?............... If you have acess to a Kunhausen book the dimensions will clarify if the slide or frame is off spec., and perhaps you already know the slide to be "true". I have my second Foster receiver on order. Except for the almost invisible blem on the rear tang, my first could not have matched up any better, with a Colt upper. Hope you get it solved the way you want.

#5 ·
I do have Jerry's books. I feel like him and I are close, after all the late nights him and I have been spending together. I actually haven't thought of measuring the frame and slide. I will defiantly do that tonight.

The slide is stamped with L. A. R. and some numbers. I had to do very little work for the barrel to fit. I still need to check the timing of it though. The thumb safety lines up fine. Thanks potrillo for the compliment on the grip safety. I have many hours on that fit.

#8 ·
WITHOUIT a round chambered see if you can hear a distinct click of the disconnector hitting the slide when you pull the trigger with the hammer down. From the pictures it looks as though the barrel lower lugs ("feet") have been cut a tad to much. The slide is sitting forward of the thumb safety by a bit, so even if the Thumb safety does engage, the slide will not be lined up properly with the disconnector, not safe.

This can be visually inspected as well by removing the internals of the frame (leaving the barrel and slde in place and looking through the bottom to see if the disco clearance slot lines up with the hole in the frame, it should be centered, if not, no bueno.

#9 ·
I was just going to write what Navman already said. Post a picture of the barrel, specifically the lower lugs. If it's been overcut or out of spec then the problem can be solved by a new barrel.

#10 ·
Sounds like a plan. I will get you a pic of the barrel when I get home.

How can over cut lower lugs cause the slide not to go back far enough? I am trying to visualize how that would cause this problem. I know that the barrel does not have any up and down movement while in battery.

#11 ·
As you remove material from the lower lugs the farther forward the slide sits. Think of the action of a 1911 barrel in reference to the slide stop. The pin of the slide stop stops the forward movement of the slide by stopping the lower lug feet from moving farther forward. Removing material from the interaction surface of the lugs causes the barrel, and thus the slide, to sit forward farther.

#18 ·
That's the same situation I have with my Detonics; the lower lugs are plenty thick, but I can put a thick shim between the hood and the breechface, which pulls the slide back to flush with the frame/ejector.
I use newsprint as my shim, since I'm usually working over an old back issue of Shotgun News. Some of my guns will take only three or four thicknesses of newsprint (~.01"), but the Detonics will take ten or twelve.

#20 ·
NIVEK, I first read, and commented on the great fitting of the grip safety, back on 2/11. Something has me curious, first, what you finally did to remedy the problem ? Also, while you did not state this was a new build, I figured it was, and it has nagged me as to why the frame, has been blued before the final fitting.... Were these components from an earlier,seperate build, coming together as a new unit ?... Obviously, not an answer to your original query, and furthermore, none of my business....Just curious... Thank you.

#21 ·
Potrillo- I took a little more off the bottom side of the frame. It seemed to suck it in a little better. I had a bottle of blue lying around so I just gave the rear of the frame a quick cold blue to see how it would look. I'm decently happy with it. I'm afaird of taking to much more off of he frame. This is my first build I think next time I will try to fit a .250 radius. I am still undecided on what my final finish will be. Its between parkerized or hot blue. Thanks for the check up. Le me know if there is something I'm doing wrong or not doing. I haven't done anything with the slide/frame match up yet. I got another potential barrel/slide combo I might switch to also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.