1911Forum banner

Norinco Research

255K views 403 replies 240 participants last post by  Lanyardloop 
#1 ·
Norinco Model of the 1911A1 owners in the USofA, please PM me with the serial number, i.e. 123,XXX, and the frame markings and location of said markings?

I am trying to get a rough idea of the serial number range of the psitols imported and when the various frame markings changed.

Thanks

If you've posted the information before there would be no need to PM me but.........

Reactions: DarkLord
#104 · (Edited)
I just picked up a Norinco from a buddy and came here looking for some info on it.

It appears to be unfired as I can't find any wear on any of the usual places. Blued with a lanyard loop. SN is 516XXX. Marking on other side of the frame are "MADE IN CHINA BY NORINCO." "CSI ONTARIO, CA" is the importer stamp.

Slide has "MODEL OF THE 1911A1", a Norinco logo, and "45 AUTOMATIC"

This things seems pretty well made, nice and smooth and tight.

#105 ·
Jim V said:
Norinco Model of the 1911A1 owners in the USofA, please PM me with the serial number, i.e. 123,XXX, and the frame markings and location of said markings?

I am trying to get a rough idea of the serial number range of the psitols imported and when the various frame markings changed.

add a 420xxx to the list
right side of frame above trigger
slide makings MODEL OF 1911A1 (NORINCO LOGO) 45 AUTOMATIC
left side of frame made in china by norinco g.s.i. ont ca.

#107 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post :eek: just got back into the 1911, and very happy once again!! Picked up two, Kimber and a Norinco. Norinco Serial #600XXX, by SSI Ont, CA. Made in China by Norinco on the other side. Arched mainspring housing, no lanyard. She's a little rough looking, but she's a shooter :D . I've heard the steel is very hard on the Norinco 1911's and some smiths won't cut new sights, it destroys their tools!?!? Any comments?? Sorry, a bit of a rookie on the 1911's :confused: Glad to be here. Great forum.

Thanks,

Roger

#108 ·
NORINCO Research

My NORINCO has on Right side of frame serial # 417XXX.
Left Side of Frame "MADE IN CHINA BY NORINCO. C.S.I. ONT. CA."

I must say that when I puchased this .45 I thought I might be getting a piece of crap. I purchased it from a Pawn shop for $350. I think this is probably one of the best 1911's I have ever fired (better than my brand new CD). I really like the 3 dot sights that came on it. I don't know if they are stock or put on by the previous owner. No, I am not interested in selling it.

#109 ·
Rgf1911:

Welcome, and let me try to field your questions. First, your 'Rinco serial number is towards the end of their legal import to the U.S. Somewhere around 600,000, they had started importing a "Commander" size gun, without the lanyard loop on the MS housing, as well as the 5 inchers. So, my guess has always been that they just went with the no-lanyard style on all of those last ones, for simplicity's sake I guess. Our Fearless Forum Leader Jim V would likely back me up on this. Now, as to the hardness of the slides, yep. But any good 'smith, if you advise them of this fact beforehand, should be able to make a dovetail cut with his mill without destroying the cutter. (My FLG says it's also the dickens to tighten the slide-to-frame fit if someone is having a Norinco built for Bullseye competition, but he's never ruined gun or tools in the process...) Best of luck with yours!

#110 ·
sights

One thing I recently did to improve sight picture was to apply a dab of flourescent red paint on the front sight. Sure makes target acquisition easier.
My two shoot better than I ever could. These are great guns made the way the 1911 should be made. Good Luck with yours.

#111 ·
I just went to Gun Show this past weekend and guess what I came across. Not 1, but 2 NORINCO .45s. They were located at different tables. Both specimens had serial #s in the six hundreds. They also had the exact same Pachmayer Grip on them. Did these at one time come standard or was it just a coincedence? Also, they were both going for about $400 each.

#112 ·
Norincos came with cheap plastic grips on the full size. The comander version came with rubber grips similar to those described. I would not be to concerned abour the grips. The Guns are excellent.

#114 · (Edited)
Grips

As far as I know and from what I have read the guns wre shipped into the US with plastic grips as they still do when shipped here to Canada. The guns are excellent buys and I am about to buy my 2nd gun. You will not be disappointed. The guns are rough internally but shoot like dickens and are made of the best of steel. PM JimV, one of the moderators. He has a wealth of knowledge on the Norinco. We can still import them into Canada and they are great buys.

#116 ·
Mine is a full-size, serial# 512XXX with the same markings and characteristics of other guns of this vintage that I've seen posted here. Frame to slide fit is a bit loose and the trigger pull is really nasty (I'd guess at least 8 pounds) but it shoots well.

#117 ·
new 5" models

though you probly won't see many (or any) of these stateside, there is a new 5" 1911a1 model from norinco, they call it "factory enhanced", i picked one up at a show a few weeks ago, about $315 plus $100 for paperwork (.ph), enhancements were lowered and flared EP, bigger button on the mag release (removable), beavertail grip safety.

that's it pretty much.

#118 ·
Zorkd

Could you post a pic? I have seen their high capacity guns that have their version of bells and whistles in various models, though the term "factory enhanced" is new. Th A1 that is sold up here new is still the basic mil-spec 1911. their NP 29 is in 9MM, single stack with enhancements. Their are pics of the guns for sale at marstar.ca.

#120 ·
Just got a used, but excellent condition, Norinco 1911A-1C [Commander type, compact model] Serial number is: 306,XXX. Serial number is on the right side of the both the frame & slide. Right frame also says "Exported by Norinco" (forward of slide stop hole) Left side of slide says: "1911A1C .45ACP". Here's a couple of pics (I've added the Colt checkered stocks, Wilson full length guide rod, extended mag release button, & flat mainspring housing).

#121 ·
Made in China by Norinco C.S.I. Ont. CA on left dust cover.
305191 on right side.

#122 · (Edited)
Left Side of Frame: Made in China By Norinco C.S.I. Ont. CA. Right Side of Frame: 531XXX

Do you have any specifics as to when it was made and when it hit the States? I picked it up new from a dealer about 5 years ago. One box through it and functions flawlessly. I shoot my custom Caspian most of the time. After reading the Norinco posts I'm thinking of tricking it out a bit. :rock:

#124 ·
Vinzmd, welcome to the Forum, and thanks for sharing those pictures. Some of us here in the US (Moderator Jim V and myself come to mind) are engaged in what may be a lifelong quest for the Compact model, since so few apparently got into the country before the Norinco ban.

#125 ·
vinzmd said:
Since im from the Philippines, id like to apologise for my unsolicited posting.
That is a very nice Norinco Commander...

Thanks to President Klinton's Executive Order, we in the US can not buy new Norinco's. What you have there would yield very good $$$ here.

#126 ·
Purchased a new in box 5 inch government model norinco. 10-04 from a gun store in Florida that had 12 new in box five inch guns... paid 380 / 420 shipped.

on the slide left side: Model of the 1911A1.

left receiver: made in china by norinco

right slide :blank

right receiver: 6147** S. S. I. ONT. CA

pistol is blue.. spur hammer / plastic grips / short trigger / lowered ejection port / three dot sights... regulated to hit about 8 -10 inches high at 25 yards.

Fired first 300 rounds... zero failures... even the factory mag is working perfectly..