1911Forum banner

Sharpening question

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  gc45 
#1 ·
I just got my first Benchmade (model 585) and really like it. It has now taken over as my EDC. My question is that when it finally gets duller, I do use knives, is there anything special when sharpening these blades? I've always just used round ceramic rod sharpener that I got about 20 years ago on all my knives. It has med and fine rods, just don't know what the angles are.

#3 · (Edited)
A Spyderco sharpmaker might get the job done quicker but there's nothing wrong with your ceramic rod setup. Wouldn't worry too much about the angle. Unless you're experimenting, anything between 15 and 20 degrees per side (30-40 inclusive) should be close to right. Less than that and you start having to worry about what you use it for. Your 585 has 154CM steel. It's good stuff but not made for a super shallow angle.

#5 ·
For general sharpening I find the Lansky type sharpeners to be the most useful sharpener I have tried.I make knives for a hobby and profile the blade on a belt grinder but for the final edge it is Lansky.The basic kit is around $30.00 and is money well spent for any knife enthusiast.I have tried about all methods of sharpening but very few can maintain the correct angle without some type of guide.By maintaining the proper angle of the stone one gets a better edge and the knife performs better and lasts longer. COLD.

#6 ·
My suggestion for sharpening is to check out your local Craigslist for a 1" x 30" belt sander and buy it. You can usually get them for $40 or less. Stay away from the $40 one at Harbor Freight. It is pretty crappy.

Watch a few videos on youtube about belt sander sharpening. Ge a few old knives not worth much or other stuff like hatchets, axe, lawn mower blades and practice. It should not take you more than a few blades.

Visit pop's knife supply and buy the belts and strop.

#9 ·
I'll stick with my ceramic rods for the present time. I'll most likely get a Spyderco sharpmaker down the road since they are reasonably priced. BTW, I've got a $40 harbor Freight belt sander that I used for when I was removing wood flooring from concrete. Only burnt up 1 during the job and they gladly replaced it. I have no plans of using anything like this on a good steel...lawn mower blade might be another story.

#11 ·
Being new to all the quality knifes and sharpening ideas; I find it interesting there are so many prefered methods of shapening. Just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat! If one has success regardless of method choosen, then it works! I just ordered my first Sharpmaker after not hearing one negitive about that system and can't wait to hopefully become proficient with it plus have a few sharp knives. Some day, I hope to give the paper wheels a go as well.

GC45

#12 · (Edited)
Got the Spyderco 204 yesterday so poped in the DVD watching it carefully. After setup I tried my very, very dull Griptilian D2 half seratted blade using the gray stones. After 15-20 minutes and lots of passes the edge was better but not what I had expected. Thinking my technique was off I watched the DVD once more and feel I had it down right. I then ran the front section of this blade through our 3 year old Chefs Choice 120 purchased from Cabelas and knowing it would set up the edge very quickly and with reasonable sharpness as it has in the past but never quit shave sharp. Aftwards, and wanting the blade sharper then the CC will do, I ran the entire blade as directed over the white stones, first the streight edge then the serrated portion and wow was I surprised! My knive is now shaving sharp as the video said. This is by far the best sharpening job I have ever done so thinking my blade was just to far down the trail (dull) for the Spyderco to reshape its edge in a quick time frame; I won't be waiting so long inbetween touchups now. Thanks to all who spoke highly of this sharpener as honest opinions are what we all look for and this great site has them.

GC45

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.