1911Forum banner

What are the finer point of Les Baer 1911's

11K views 54 replies 36 participants last post by  LiveHand 
#1 · (Edited)
What are the finer points of Les Baer 1911's

I've owned Colt's and Springfield's but I've never own an Les Baer. What you please bring me up to speed on them. I'm looking at a TR model or Custom Carry.

#3 ·
- Under cut triggerguard
- Can't rattle out the "Star Spangled Banner"
- Kart barrel
- 3" @ 50 yards guarantee or 1.5" @ 50 yards
- No MIM
- Doesn't need to be cleaned often
- Reliable and durable
- The "snick" into battery
- Oh yeah, the FIT.

Lastly, hey, it says CUSTOM on the side. :)

#4 ·
Try and get some one to build a 1911 with all new parts that shoot as good as a Baer. The accuracy and reliablity is amazing and makes the price range seem like pocketchange for what you get.

I bought my TRS hoping to be able to badmouth it. I just cant find a reason to do anything but praise it.

#9 ·
Pros:

Reliability
Accuracy
Durability
Hard fit
Price
Resale

Cons:

Blue finish durability is an issue for some people.

Sometimes tight lockup is an issue for some people.

500 rd recommended break-in is an issue for some really stupid people.:)

Mags. They ain't the best.

Bottom line, it's shooter's gun. It wants to be shot. It needs to be shot. It likes being shot. It must be shot. It will make you an addict for the brand if you do not apply to the "Cons" above aside from the mags.

The TRS might be the very best bang for the buck fighting gun ever made out of a factory IMHO.

Congratulations on your Baer, I'm glad you have now decided to buy one. Might I suggest fellow forum member Hammond as your source?

Stand by, I will make you a membership card shortly. If you behave, a hat may be allocated but we cannot make any promises due to the fact that the Baer Elves might be busy purposely sabotaging the under 5" models so some slingshot and some don't. In this case, no card or hat shall be dispensed.

This is non-paid non-advertisement.

Please, carry on.:biglaugh:

#10 ·
It is a bargain for the combination of hand fitting....

and hard fit barrel. Although some find it objectionable, if someone has the patience to break in the gun, they are usually rewarded with a surprisingly reliable gun considering that it is made very tight and as accurate as most any gun out there.

Of course, there is an occasional Les Baer gun with problems, but no gun maker seems immune to occasional problems. Although stats aren't available, Les's percentage of problem guns doesn't appear to me to be higher than the other makers of more expensive guns.

#11 ·
Of course, there is an occasional Les Baer gun with problems, but no gun maker seems immune to occasional problems. Although stats aren't available, Les's percentage of problem guns doesn't appear to me to be higher than the other makers of more expensive guns.
True. The slide stop on my TRS broke at the 4K mark. It was fixed and shipped both ways for free :)

#12 ·
I'm not sure it's possible to choose between the TRS and CC and not feel a bit bad. I went with a TRS, and now I want a CC really badly.

The Blued finish isn't something I'm a huge fan of, but once I sent my TRS in for IonBond DLC coating, I'll know if I've found the ultimate answer for a CCW pistol.

#15 ·
It is probably the best guns in their price range, and better than some brands that cost more.

#19 ·
you can sure pay much more for a 1911...but why?
That is very true. Above the 1,500 to 1,900 dollar range you are paying much more for every minuscule "improvements". Most of which is nothing more than pure cosmetic refinements and "bling".

#20 · (Edited)
Another point that nobody mentioned is that all Baer guns are essentially the same gun as far as quality goes.

The difference is in:

1) barrel/slide length
2) checkered frontstrap
3) checkered mainspring housing
4) type of sights
5) stainless or carbon steel
6) metal finish
7) dustcover length
8) frame size
9) single sided vs ambi safety
10) thin v standard grips
11) number of mags that come with the gun

I'm sure there's something I missed.

Botom line is that a $1600 MSRP baer is just as accurate and reliable as a $2500 baer. Almost any baer can be ordered with the 1.5" group option.

There are no good, better and best models. They are all the same quality.

Don

#21 ·
You forgot that one is a Officer frame...the Stinger.

Other than that IMO you are correct. I know others will disagree and maybe are right, but I agree with you

#23 ·
The Les Baer guns are like the guns coming out of the Springfield Custom Shop, not the regular production line like the Loaded, or even the TRP. Though the TRP is sort of in between.

It's not fair to compare a LB to a standard production line gun and even the best of those, the Loaded, will fall short.

#27 ·
TRP is Springfields top of the line "off the shelf". Loaded is simply that, "Loaded" with the bells and whistles. TRP will seem like a great pistol, untill you shoot one or a thousand rounds from a LB TRS. Don't hate me Springfield fans. Whole bunch of LB shooters here will back my play 100%.:)

#26 ·
It's probably the sound of the barrel and bushingcoming together. LB fits them up with a bit of tension which is why they get those little happy face marks on them so quickly. It's also why you should pull the slide back just a little bit before turning the bushing.

#28 ·
The TRP is a FINE gun but make no mistake, a Baer it is not.

BTW, I have had two TRP's so I can say from experience that while a fine gun, it just lacks so much of the handwork and superior parts of a Baer. One even had a fantastic 8lb trigger pull out of the box.

TRP...loaded with MIM, bad or not depending on your point of view, it is. Quality frame and slide made in Brazil, machined here. Stainless barrel..unknown mfr.

Baer...NO MIM, forged frame and slide made in the US. Baer barrels are made by Kart and Kart barrels are probably the best of the best.

I could keep going but it's really apples to oranges.

#32 · (Edited)
What more input could you possibly need? You wont find a better 1911 for the money. Period.

If you want adjustable sights get a Premier II.

If you want fixed sights go with a TRS. If you wanna save a couple bucks and don't care about the Thunder Ranch markings go with a UTC.

If you want a slab side type go with a Monolith.

You can't lose with any of them..

#33 ·
When i was asking a similar question, I PMed several LB owners who also had NHC and Wilsons. Everyone of them said, The best $ spent was on the LB and it is more accurate then the others. They are equally reliable, some are prettier, but the LB was their top choice for accuracy. I can pretty up the LB for less then the cost of the other makers if i was interested in that kind of stuff. I like the HARD fit, Rugged good looks and tuff as hell feel you get when shooting it. Man, kind of seems like i was describing myself.:biglaugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.