1911Forum banner

New duty weapon?

5K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  east bay cop 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of being hired by a couple of departments at the moment. A couple you can defer the issued weapon a couple you buy your own. Basically I'm familiar with handguns and always shot 1911s the best. I want to carry a 1911. I have a few options. I would want to spend under $1500. I want a 5in gun with a rail. My favorites at the moment are colt xse, Springfield lightweight operator, or sigtacops. I'm open to other suggestions. Any helpful thoughts or opinions would be apprecitated.

#2 ·
Rock Island Tactical 5" can be had for like 5-600 bucks BNIB and are AWESOME weapons... If i am not mistaken the new Tactical model has the rail now...

#4 ·
Do your research, but ultimatley; it will depend on if the agency that hires you will allow you to carry a 1911 or not. You may be stuck with an industry accepted polymer pistol in a specific caliber.

Stick with brands of 1911's that have been approved by other agencies and from a manufacturer that is recognized for being in the LE market. Ultimately, your agency will have a list of approved duty and off-duty weapons that you may qualify with to be able to carry them.

Suggestions would be Colt, Kimber and Springfield. All three makers offer a railed 5" 1911. My personal preference is a steel framed pistol and not an alloy. It could be debated either way which one is more durable for hard use, I just like steel.

#8 ·
Taking the issued duty piece, getting through training and FTO, maybe even probation, and -then- transitioning to something HSLD can keep you from being -that guy-. It may or may not make any sense, but in training environments (particularly primary training environments), the nail that sticks up gets hammered.

Put another way, when you're going through training, and your piece takes a dive, would you rather be able to just shrug and exchange out for another one, or would you rather miss training (and incur the ire of your classmates and instructors) while waiting for your replacement bits.

Just a thought. That said, please feel free to do the complete opposite of what I just said.

#12 ·
I'll echo the others here. Buy a bare bones Glock for $399 at an LE dealer, use it in training, sell it on Gunbroker when you're done for the same price, put the money toward your dream gun.

As far as 1911's, I've done a bunch of research and came to the conclusion that the Sig TacOps is probably one of the best deals in the 1911 realm right now if you can find one. As for the EE, JMB designed the 1911 with an external extractor originally. The Hi-Power uses one. Most modern autoloaders use them. No big deal IMO but there are pros and cons to each, as mentioned.

My TacOps is on order from Sig right now, 3-5 more weeks out. Worth the wait IMO.

#13 · (Edited)
1911 choice

STI Tactical IV (commander length) or Tactical 5 (standard 5" barrel length) in .40S&W with light rail.....a hi capacity 1911 platform that is lighter. You will add more weight when you add a light, so it won't be as heavy as a single stack 1911. With flush fit .40 mags, it will hold 15 rounds.

The STI 2011 platform is an excellent weapon. I have an STI 2011 that has had over 80K rounds of hot .38super through the gun, had to replace wto barrels that I shot out, yet the gun is still going strong. The receiver and slide is steel, while the grip that attaches to the steel receiver is a polymer/nylon that reduces weight.

There is a reason why the STI 2011 is widely used in competition circles....they are accurate, reliable, and have proven their worth over the last 20 years. www.brazoscustom.com

#14 ·
IMO use the firearm that you feel most comfortable and confident in shooting. If you want to go an RIA, just check with the department. I promise you will not be the first person who has wanted to go this route. I'm sure they have some process established for mfg's that are not on the "approved" list.

#15 ·
Go buy a Glock 22 and carry it until you're off probation then pick what you want to carry after that. Don't be "that guy" because you have a fancy pistol. Be "that guy" because you make awesome reports, arrests, and handle DWIs.

#16 ·
After listening I think I'll take whatever they give unless I have to buy my own. I'm kinda thinking maybe I should go with a M&P and maybe buy 2 if the department requires me to buy my own just for back up. M&P is just my preference in polymers under $600. Thanks for all the opinions all were very helpful.

#17 ·
What to bring?

Here is my take;

If you get hired by a department that issues/offers a duty weapon, then as others have stated, use that duty weapon until off of probation.

If you get hired by a department that has YOU provide the firearm then bring a 1911. Having a 1911 doesn't make you "That Guy". Not knowing how to use your firearm makes you "That Guy".

#20 ·
Although there is generally good compliance here...

...is it really asking too much to keep the bulk of responses in the LEO section, to people that are actually LEOs? This should especially be true when someone is asking for recommendations on what to use as a LEO.

I am not a mod, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

#23 ·
I concur with being "that guy." Learn the basics of LE work. Buy a bare bones glock or use what the agency chooses and for now dont get anything fancy that will make you stand out. After you're off probie status and you still want something nicer, get it then.

#24 ·
To the OP,

Your initial choices were sound, and it looks like you're on the right path. Now focus on getting in, getting certified, getting experience, and getting home alive each night. You'll soon learn that the job is 99% not about the gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.