1911Forum banner

Just bought a Mitchell arms gold series. Any info?

19K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  davidkachel 
#1 ·
Went to the local gunshop with the intention of buying a sig 40 they had and made the mistake of picking up a Mitchell arms .45 they had. I had no intention of buying another .45 at the moment since I had a govt model, but this gun felt great. Full length guide rod, ambi safety, stainless, really felt better to me than the new kimbers he had. So I talked him down to $545.00 and walked out with it.

Anybody have any input or info on this gun? I've seen no threads on it on this site. My only complaint is that the little dimple in the safety was off a millimeter or so (the one that keeps it in the off position) so the gun trys to go half on safe under recoil and has caused some grief. Nevertheless I know that my local gun shop can probably remedy that with a dremel in no time. Rest of the gun looks and acts flawless. I believe the slide says gold series 95.

Btw, this is my first post and I've enjoyed discovering this post. I put my gun craze on hold for a couple years to start a business but since that folded the bug his hit worse than ever.

Tim

#3 ·
I've shot matches with people from Mitchell's and seen the 1911 - it's a well made piece, and one guy seemed insulted when I mentioned I had heard they were made by Dan Wesson. He issisted Mitchell's is building them in house, though IIRC they don't do their own forgings.

#4 ·
Mitchell

I had one a few years back and had a lot of feeding problems. I was new to reloading at that point (I was only 13) but the loads would feed in a lot of other pistols. Even factory stuff wasn't all that reliable. I had a smith polish it and try to help it but it was no good. I wound up selling the think and buying another dud, the next one was a Taurus revolver that just didn't shoot very well. SO I sold that and bought the most reliable pistol known to man....the Ruger Mk II. Hope you Mitchell turns out better than mine did.

#5 ·
thanks for the replys

I've seen on another site that they filed for bankrupcy in 96. I guess if I got another ambi safety it would fit this pistol? I think I'm going to love it other than the safety issue.

Thanks for the help and info.

Tim

#8 ·
If it's the original Mitchell manufacturer Gold Series, all I can say is good luck!
I had one and it wouldn't even reliably feed standard ball ammo. :bawling: Does yours have a ramped barrel and adjustable sight? If so, it's original. If not, it's probably one the the new Wesson ones - which means you'll have lucked out.

#9 ·
Unbelievable! I just got this gun back from the gun smith where it went only 2 days after I bought the gun and I'm sick. Talk about feed problems! Silver Bear, Winchester silver tip and +P Ranger and federal hydra shock all jammed like crazy. Like to never got the first rounds to chamber. Also, currently the slide wont lock back on its own with an empty clip and at least once every clip, the hammer would just fall to 1/2 way when I'd pull the trigger. Man am I bummed. The shop where I bought it from usually takes care of things and I'm sure they will this one. I paid 545.00 so what should I get for a similiar price? Can't put a whole lot of money with it.

Oh yeah, the safety still tries to work itself on.

Need some advice quick here as I'm probably going to do something tomorrow.

Thanks,

Tim

#10 ·
Bummer, man! Sounds like you did get an original Mitchell POS. You hopefully will be able to exchange for a used Colt, Springfield Loaded, or maybe even a Kimber if the dealer wants to make it up. You should be able to get a brand new Springfield Mil-spec for about the same price, too.

#11 · (Edited)
Well, after a little talking today the gun shop allowed me full value trade in. I'm now the proud owner of a Sig P226 .40 cal. Yeah I know, but their selection of 1911s in the same price range was almost non existant and I've always wanted a .40. Maybe for Christmas I can get a Kimber or Springfield 1911.

I absolutely cannot believe that a gun could have been this bad. For those of you who may consider a used 1995 Mitchel let me sum it up.

First, I get the gun home a couple weeks ago and try to shoot it with hardball ammo and it's a single shot. The notch on the ambi safety was drilled off at the factory and the safety went half on after each shot. Next couple days took it to the gun smith and the shop paid for it. Shop satisfaction A; gun satisfaction C (because it still looked like a well made gun).

After 2 weeks I get my newly purchased Mitchell back and head out to shoot. I had 3 lonely hard ball shells and those managed to feed. Switched to HP silver bear and couldn't even chamber the first shell. FINALLY got it to load and shot 5 rounds with much trouble and realized the safety for some reason was still trying to work on although not as bad. Tried: 185gr silver tip, 230 hydra shock, 230 +P Ranger all with unbelievably bad results. Not one shell would even chamber the first round without multiple attempts. Would have been horible even for a $85.00 lorcin, no kidding. Along the way I had multiple times where I'd pull the trigger and the hammer would fall only halfway. Also, slide quit staying back after the last shot. Needless to say it could be confusing if the gun was empty or not. All in all shot maybe 30 rounds with who knows how many malfunctions. 10 to 30 I'd say depending on how you'd count. Gun satisfaction F! No maybe make that a Z-. For me a weapon of mass frustration.

If I had paid $50.00 for this gun it would have been a rip-off. Looks beautiful and felt wonderful in the hand, that's why I bought it but just goes to show. I'm so glad I sold my Colt Govt model to buy this lemon. Oh well at least it's still in the family (my Colt I mean).

All ended well though, the gun shop took care of me so even thought now I have no .45 (which I said would never happen) at least I'm not out the money for a useless junker.

Bottom line, if you have a chance to buy one DON'T! I only wished the Taliban was armed with this gun and this gun only.

Run from this gun, bury this gun, get a good .45 and shoot the mitchel with a silver bullet and bury it in Garlic! Maybe the newer versions are better than this pre-bankrupcy version. I would have never believed this gun if I hadn't been there to experience it myself. I just hope the gun shop believes me and doesn't try to unload this Yugo with a clip so some other unfortunate pigeon. Sure they will though, the guys at my local shop are great and really took care of me thumbs up all the way. Bad thing is the gun was absolutely beautiful and had a wonderful feel. When I could get a bullet to actually come out of the barrell it seemed fairly accurate although I was far to frustrated to test for real accuracy.

Thanks for all the advise.

Tim

#12 ·
Mitchell feeding porblems

I have a Mitclell Arms Gold series and at first I had significant feeding problems. I later found a magazine from Champion,s Choice ( seven round with Rd follower and I replaced the recoil spring with a 18.5 pound Wolff Pistol Spring also from Champion,s Choice. It has worked great for me ever sence.

#14 · (Edited)
I to have a Mitchell arms gold series '95 all i replaced was the extractor when i first bought it last year
snap caps for feeding tests at gun shop) It runs flawless,accurate,pleasure to shoot.I think there's a lot
of good Mitchell's out there but.....there's also lemons they are a good bargain if your a 1911 gun plumber.
If not it's to much of a headache to play the gunsmith game

Tyrantblade

#17 ·
I have one of the first Mitchell Gold Series 1911's. Yes when I first got it, I had major feeding issues with it. Lucky for me that I know a very good 1911 doctor who hard refit the barrel and now it is the best. I also had a Bomar installed and had the front strap checkered. I won't part with my Mitchell and will be buried with it when I pass on.
Apparently Mitchell didn't know what they were doing installing Ramped & Supported Bull Barrels, because every one I have heard of has had feeding issues. The good news is the new Gold Series do NOT have bull barrels, but the bad news is they cost 4 times as much as the first ones with bull barrels. Go Figure that one? The prices quoted in the thread are really good deals for Mitchell Gold Series. Around St. Louis they use to go for around $650.00, I haven't seen any new Mitchell's or prices for them but I'll bet it's a lot more than $650.00.

#18 ·
I know this is kind of dated, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have a gold series made in the mid 90's. I picked it up last year LNIB for between $450 and $500, I can't remember, but either way it was a good price for any 1911 in MA.
I like it a lot. A real lot. I have a S&W 1911 and a rebuilt Systema. I shoot the Mitchell the most and of the 3 it's the most accurate without question. It had some mild feed issues when I first got it, but a little ramp polishing, a good cleaning and re-oil and a couple hundred rounds run through it seemed to do the trick. I think it just needed a break in. It looked virtually unfired when I bought it. So far It's eaten hundreds and hundreds of my 230 LRN and FMJ reloads, and a few hundred of various factory ammo without a hick up. I like it's beefy size and that I can probably use it as a hammer if the need ever arises. ;)
I haven't seen too much talk online about these pistols, but what I did read was all over the map. Some people love them to death, others say they are a nightmare that needed gunsmithing attention to function. Maybe I got lucky because mine is a great shooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.