1911Forum banner

Leupold Deltapoint on Springfield 1911?

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  AJ123 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a Springfield Trophy Match 1911 and I'd like to add a red dot sight to it. The new Leupold Deltapoint looks like a nice one but the mounting options they list don't include Springfield, just the 1911 Standard (Colt). Does anyone know whether one of the Deltapoint mounting plates will fit the Springfield 1911 dovetail? I read somewhere that Springfield uses a proprietary cut so I'm not going to buy the sight without first knowing it's going to fit.

Update 7 Sept 2010
I sent an email to Springfield asking about the type of dovetail and got a quick reply: "Rear site is LPA style target 60 deg/.330” "

That's not one of the types mentioned on the Leupold site. I also sent Leupold an email asking about compatibility but haven't heard from them yet.

I got a reply from Leupold that one of the sight bases should fit the Springfield, although there were no details: "this can be mounted on the 1911 with the all mount system." Would have been nice to know which of the bases is supposed to work.

I emailed Burris, Trijicon and Jpoint asking about compatibility of their reflex sights and the Springfield 1911. NO response at all from Jpoint and Trijicon.

On the other hand, Martin Noller at Burris was very helpful and clarified the issue more than anyone else:
"The LPA cut that Springfield uses is a strange one and gave us some headaches for a while. We've been working with them quite a bit and even had them send us a slide for testing purposes. What we found was that the cut and the dovetail were nearly an identical match to the Bomar cut. The biggest difference was that the LPA dovetail was cut slightly deeper than the Bomar. When we attempted to install the Bomar FastFire mount we found that the dovetail would be loose in the cut. We then attempted to continue with the install regardless. What happens is that when you mount the plate and then the sight above that and screw them all together the dovetail gets pulled upward and the entire unit becomes rigid. With that said I believe that the Bomar mount will work with your LPA cut Springer."

Burris was the most helpful and took my request more seriously than anyone else. Based on that experience I'm more inclined to get their FastFire II sight than the others since the people who make them actually support the folks who use them.

See less See more
#3 ·
I just ordered the Delta point (crossing fingers it's ACTUALLY in stock).

It will be going on a TRP (I'm assuming a Novak cut).

Just be aware that the $450 version of the Delta Point comes with ALL the mounting plates, and the $399 version only comes with one (and likely not the one you want).

Give it a week, and I'll post back here with my results.

I found it very hard to find the 3.5 MOA delta point with ALL mounts.

There seems to be plenty of the 7.5MOA's out there, or the 3.5's with only the one mounting plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.