1911Forum banner

Front sight.. Fiber optic or good bead?

9K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Horoscope Fish 
#1 ·
Looking for help determining if I should go to fiber optic or gold bead front sight on 1911. I wear prescription reading glasses but also have glasses for driving, essentially I need bifocals. I don't compete any longer but may casually get back into uspsa or idpa so shooting is mostly target. I need something that will help define the sight picture.

#2 ·
i have used and added the fiber optic sights and love them for competition, but have had them break the fiber optic part which is no big deal to replace. If its a carry gun i would probably recommend the gold bead

#3 · (Edited)
In my mind, it's more a question of focus on the front sight. I'd imagine that any new sight will catch your a attention for some period of time, and that after that, you'll go back to your default mode.

Having said that, I like the TruGlo TFO sight on my SIG P220R Equinox, almost as much as I like the 27/7 Big Dot XS sight on my 1911s. Gold dot sights, as seen on some S&W Performance Center revolvers (also the Gun Site 1911), work well too (more than I ever imagined). But, when the sun is out, FO sights glow as if they had fire within them, and even on a cloudy day they do well.

What I'm saying is that you can't go wrong with FO for competition sights (your life isn't at stake since paper doesn't shoot back).

One point of advice, should you go with fiber optic sights--reinforce the fiber optic material--with a bit of glue or heat, to assure it doesn't fall out when you move around a lot. From my experience, most FO front sight material has a tendency to travel :)

Good luck and happy evaluation process!

#5 ·
My eyes are unable to focus up close well enough to get a sharp image of the front sight,but the fiber optic really makes it stand out,enough that I can easily tell whether it's "on" or not.I couldn't do that with my 3 dot tritiums in IDPA matches.I like the FO (EGW) a lot.

#6 ·
I'm wearing the progressive lenses for my older eyes and have both fiber optic front sights on a couple of revolvers and a gold bead on my primary carry piece which is a 1911.

Both types of sights work equally well as far as focusing your attention on the front sight and the gold bead has the advantage of durability over some of the fiber optic designs but there is another factor which you should take into consideration.

For fast front sight acquisition go with a wider than standard notch rear sight. The extra daylight around the front sight blade really has helped me regardless of the type of front sight.

#10 ·
It's a personal preference thing.
+1 on the personal preference thing. For me the fiber optic really helps me track the front sight during recoil. I have them on all my competition guns and liked them so much I ended up putting FO sights even on my carry guns.

The FO sights from Dawson Precision are pretty robust, and they've stood up to the rough and tumble of even 3-gun. Never had a problem with one coming out once I figured out how to install the tube correctly.

But OTOH, and friend of mine who also shoots USPSA/IDPA/3-gun tried them and went back to plain black sights. The FO just wasn't working for him.

#9 ·
Wear progressive lens and have a fiber optic on one 1911 (Sig) and a gold bead on another 1911 (Springfield). The red fiber optic is the easiest to pick up quickly. Have changed each rear sight to a 10-8 with a .140 rear notch -- this is also a great help. Good luck in finding what works best for you.

#12 ·
I seem to recall that younger eyes prefer a red FO sight while older eyes find a green sight easier to acquire. I put a red FO sight on my .22 for Steel Challenge but haven't tried it in a match yet. On my 1911 I painted the front sight white for a base coat then fluorescent orange as a top coat. I like it but have to refresh the paint every now and then.

#14 ·
Have you looked at XS sights?

In my mind, there are few sights that can compete with their visibility, and speed wrt target acquisition. I use them on most of my carry guns. Note that it takes a bit to get used to the front/rear combo, but once you do-it's super fast. For me, even faster than TFO.

One more thing to consider since options are always good.

#15 ·
I have seen the XS sights but haven't really considered them, I saw them more for carry guns. Makes sense that they would be quick.

#16 ·
I have exactly the same issue with my eyes as you. I have a gold bead (with a 10-8 rear) on my Ed Brown SF, a red F/O on my STI 5.0 Tactical and a green F/O on my Wilson Spec Ops 9. I like all of them so much I can't make up my mind which one is best! Without doubt, the gold bead is the most robust. They all work well in poor light, too. I would suggest you try some out and see which ones you like best.

#17 ·
I also wear progressive bi-focals. 3 years ago, I had my eye doc make me a pair of shooting eye glasses. Left Rx was for distance, right RX (dominate eye) was for near, focused at a point to where the front sight would be when taking a 2 hand free-style grip/stance. This was the best thing I could have done for my shooting. They work great for target and for USPSA. As far as front sights, I like green FO on my Kimber, and my son likes a white dot painted on the black front sight of his Kimber. Try different guns and see which works best for you. But highly recommend you get a pair of shooting glasses first.

#21 ·
Here is an interesting link.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90073

I've been shooting FO for along time, mostly USPSA/SC type shooting. I switched back to black on black, with narrow front sight. I feel that I can line the sights up quicker and my accuracy has improve. I wear glasses and the Doc has already told me bifocals next time. I just switch my TacSol 2211 conversion over to black too shoot steel. I think that will be a bigger test than shooting IPSC. Before the change I switched from red to green. If I go back to and FO I'll get the Dawson with smallest rod.

My carry gun has frt nights sight.

#23 ·
I wear contacts and have some pretty stiff astigmatism. What I have found works well for me and my situation is using a green fiber-optic front sight with a standard width, adjustable, rear sight.

Going to a slightly narrower front post helped as well; down to .110" from the .125" wide factory sight. The extra light on either side helps with getting a crisp sight picture.

Lastly, having tried some others I will agree that Dawson Fiber Optic sights are the way to go. I've also switched a couple people from red to green fiber. It's just plain brighter than red.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.