1911Forum banner

WA CCW / Bureaucrats

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ColtShooter 
#1 ·
Question for any Washington citizens on the board who've applied for and/or received their permit:

I went down to the Seattle Public Safety Building a few weeks ago to apply for my permit. I can't say there were any real problems, but there was one thing that kind of raised my eyebrows a bit: at the beginning of the application process, the woman at the desk asked me what I needed the permit for.

I told her that I simply felt it was important to exercise all my rights as a free citizen, and she began lecturing me about how the permit was a privilege, not a right, and how I needed a better reason to get a permit. I was surprised by this, because I thought that due to the "shall-issue" nature of Washington law, they were not ALLOWED to ask you this question. I paused, decided it was really not worth arguing with this person who I was looking for assistance from, and said "To protect myself and..." Then she cut me off, said, "OK, fine" in a very curt manner, and went about getting the paperwork together. The rest of the application process went on without a hitch, as I did my best to be pleasant, and I don't expect there to be any further problems. (I've never even been talked to by a cop.)

Now, my understanding of the rules may have been incorrect, and perhaps they can ASK you, but can't DENY you the permit simply because of your answer... but it sounded as though if I didn't come up with a better answer, she was not going to deal with me. I also wonder if perhaps I was treated with less respect than might be the norm due to my age (I just turned 22), and my appearance. (No tattoos or piercings, but I do have a goatee which many older people seem to despise.)

Anyway, I am just curious if I am being too sensitive about the whole thing, and what other peoples' experience with the bureaucrats on this type of matter has been.

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

[This message has been edited by Terrato (edited 06-30-2001).]

See less See more
#2 ·
Terrato...I don't live in your state...But...Maybe thats a standard drill for that office...If someone comes unglued...they can say that you are unbalanced or not mature enough for a permit.

I think you handled if very well...Get the permit...battle them with statisics...and hard evidence that proves that more permits reduces crime.

Unfortunatly...there are to many buerocrats that think like this uninformed nitwit...in city hall.

#3 ·
Thanks, Bronco.

Now that I think of it, I shouldn't limit this to WA citizens... I want to know how irritating bureaucrats everywhere are!

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

#4 ·
Both my wife and I obtained permits from the same office last year without any hint of weirdness or inappropriate questions from the clerks. Probably you got there on a slow day and a state employee decided to excercise HIS rights to "save the earth" and give you some flack. Questions from the clerks are not part of the application process. By the way, did you notice that the CCW permit office is also where the probationary sex-offenders register and also where the drug dealers have to reclaim their confiscated vehicles? That's liberals for you.
...Other members in Washington State: get out there and vote conservative!!
-Sparks

#5 ·
I applied for my permit the Monday after my 21st birthday with out any trouble. I received the permit the following Friday. I have had friends receive their's in even less time (2 days). You are correct, Washington is a "shall issue" state. If you qualify, they have to give it to you. Sounds like the clerk you had the pleasure of dealing with was yet another one of the liberals that have decided to make Seattle their "Mecca". Don't let 'em give you any flack. Kindly inform him/her that, without the 2nd amendment, the amendment that insures he/she can say those things isn't worth the paper it's written on. Carry on

#8 ·
If I recall the law corectly, it says the permit shall be issued for specific purposes, to include:

personal protection
travel

(and something else).

I haven't worked in that area for awhile so I'm a little fuzzy on it. The application is a state form, and if they want to get nit-picky, they can require that you put in one of the "right" answers.

#9 ·
Definitely contact that person's superior. Or send a letter on an attorney friend's letterhead. Idiocy like this must be stopped in its tracks.

Also, I think Alan Gottlieb's Second Amendment Foundation is in the Seattle area. Report it there and ask for their help. (Might be good to be a member first, though....)

#10 ·
The actual law reads:

RCW 9.41.070Concealed pistol license--Application--Fee--Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling.

That last sentence contains the "right" answers, and theoretically they can deny your application if you don't use one of those answers.

That is no excuse for folks being snotty; it just isn't unlawful on their part to ask why you want it (normally there is a blank on the form for that).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.