1911Forum banner

Legal "Limit" on extra rounds?

23K views 129 replies 71 participants last post by  TRSOtto 
#1 ·
I carry my Glock 17 during my work hours and with it I have 2 spare mags. Thats 51 9mm rounds and 1 in the chamber.
Is there any legal limit as to how many rounds your normal Joe the Plumber can carry? Seems like a lot, but better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Its a complicated world we live in. :mummy:
Dave

#4 ·
Today I'm carrying one of my M&P 9mm's. It has the magazine extension on it and 23 rounds of ammo. I'm also carrying 2 more 23 round magazines, there are 5 more in my vehicle. I've never heard of a "legal" limit but I also know that if I have to use that gun I will be prepared for anything. Just remember this isn't like in the movie The Survivors where you can call time out and go get more ammo (or another gun). Bring enough gun...and ammo.

#5 ·
You would need to check your state laws..........but I've never heard of such

Now some conspiracy theorists here have debated before on how carrying a spare mag shows "ill intent" and such.....I say that's complete BS, but if they want to run out of ammo and need more then that's between them and their God. I'll take my chances and carry at least one spare!

Just remember, you'll never hear someone who's had to use their gun in self defense say "man I wish I didn't have all this extra ammo!"......and if you do, have them committed!

#7 ·
If I am carry my Sig 1911 then I have 21 rds plugs one in the chamber.

If carrying my P229 then I have 45+1.

I preffer to carry the 1911 but I do wish I had more rounds on me without having to carry so many mags.

Don't know of any legal limits tough the "over zealous" logic makes sense. I'm curious if there are any court cases where it was used.

#8 ·
Jeebus!!!
Do you guys figure you are going to get into a running gun fight with 20 or so bad guys?

National average for self defense shootings is 7 yards and 2 shots or less.

I do carry a spare mag for my Kimber Ultra with me so I have 14 in mags and one up the pipe, and I live in a bad neighborhood. If I am somewhere that indicates I might need more ammo then that, it is "Exit Stage Left". I'm gone.

#11 ·
"Averages" don't mean jack! Good luck on that exit strategy, if you're full of the other guy's bullets! :hrm: I posted about a friend of mine who was involved in a real gunfight. The shooting started at about 40 yards. He was carrying a G17, which saved his life. If he'd only had 8 rounds, he'd be dead now. It's also foolish to think that you'll have the opportunity for a mag change, too.

#10 ·
Well, I raced a large 9mm mag once going through my 3 8 round mags within a few seconds slower than the 9mm emptying the guns.

I carry 5 reloads for the Colt, plus 4 speed reloads for the Bug. It's close to a hundred rounds.

A teacher once told me "Look at the crap you got on your belt." That made me rethink how I carry and made for a improved situation later on being able to carry concealed all that "Crap" with a better result.

I don't think there is anything legal written down thankfully, however if you had 500 dollars in one's or something unusual, they would think you are a drug user or dealer. Or even a holder/lookout.

I used a Bandolier with around 40+ shotgun rounds. Now Keltecs are sold with 14 in magazine and one in tube. That 40 rounds suddenly don't seem much.

#13 ·
I dont know of any ammo limits in Texas but that does not mean another state does not have one. I would check before you go carrying 3 extra mags especially if you are carrying a double stacked pistol. Besides do you really need 50 rounds? If you are in a situation that requires that many rounds you are probably severely outgunned and you need to get out of there as fast as possible that is not a fight you can win.

#14 ·
The only thing the politicians can limit is the capacity of the magazines for retail sale. In some places a magazine can only be sold with 10 round capacity or less. In those places, however, if you already own a biggie they can't take it or call it illegal.
Beyond that, its up to the jury, if it goes that far. Just remember that you are still responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun, even if you are in a crisis.

#15 ·
As far as I know the only state to come close to a mag limit in the past year was CT. Carrying an extra mag is a pain but I have had too many funny things happen with mags to be comfortable with just one. Based on the event and dress sometimes I don't have much of an option to carry an additional mag.

#16 ·
Nothing in Washington, and I know of none elsewhere. Most of the time, one reload, but I also have a bug out bag with another pistol and 3 mags, and a carbine with 3 in my trunk, due to both the amount of travel I do in places with little or no cell service or LE presence, and the number of violent offenders I deal with at work.

#33 ·
I carry a 1911 with 8+1 in gun and spare 10 rounder. If I get to feeling under armed I plan to recruit me a rifle squad with a SAW. :rofl::biglaugh:
Throw that Saw over here, I cannot hit much and am deaf anyways. Just point where you want the base of fire.

#20 ·
9 rounds in the Wilson and 2 8 round mags of .45 acp on the belt. If I still could, I'd carry a couple frags and a claymore, too. Things are getting rough out there..extra ammo don't eat anything..if ya don't use it, you're ahead of the game. If you run out, you're sucking air.

#21 ·
Your only limited to what you can comfortably carry. When I carry using my shoulder system, I have two spare mags in the harness and two spares on my left hip, all for my primary, which is normally a 1911, but sometimes I use a harnes for my M9. When I carry my FN 5-7 in a shoulder harnes, I only use the two in the harness as 61 rounds is far more than enough, the same when I carry with an IWB, two spares.

#24 ·
I'm just thinking to myself, I'm ~150 lbs., if I carried all that is mentioned by some (not hating, it's your right so do what makes you happy) I would definitely be getting some extra exercise every day!

#26 ·
Thanks guys. :)
I didn't think there was a legal limit but wanted to hear from others.
Over doin it, under doin it, its all good, just as long as you are doin it. :)
Correct? :)
Dave

#31 ·
Funny this should come up. My brother was pulled over and searched. He had my 66 with 2 speed loaders in the vehicle. He was arrested for carrying without a permit but the charges were dropped because he was traveling from his place of business to his residence which is allowed under state law, but this isn't the point. The point is when I went to the local PD to get my gun back the cheif made the comment about how many rounds were in the evidence bag.:hrm: He acted like it was a crime to carry a gun with 6 in the cylinder and 12 in speedloaders.:hrm: My brother had also mentioned to me that the cop that arrested him was totally freaked out about the multiple reloads. My town is very small and way country and I'd always seemed to think it was firearm friendly (when I was in high school just over a decade ago it wasn't uncommon to see myself and dozens of other hunters with rifles/shotguns in the back windows of trucks in the school parking lot) but after this little experience I'm beginning to wonder.

#49 ·
Funny this should come up. My brother was pulled over and searched. He had my 66 with 2 speed loaders in the vehicle.

The point is when I went to the local PD to get my gun back the chief made the comment about how many rounds were in the evidence bag. He acted like it was a crime to carry a gun with 6 in the cylinder and 12 in speed loaders.

My brother had also mentioned to me that the cop that arrested him was totally freaked out about the multiple reloads.
This is a break down of the fabric our society, when the good people who have sworn an oath to protect the Constitution of this Country, have no idea what the Constitution says or means or what the Constitution even does, it is a sad day...

#32 ·
depends on the state. here in the gun-hating state of new jersey (man i really need to cross the border into Pennsylvania) magazines are limited to 15 rounds. (shotguns i believe are limited to 8 unless hunting then its only 3) but you can have 15 +1 so 16 total in the firearm. but then again it is nearly impossible to get a carry permit here so it doesnt much matter anyway, unless its for home defense.

#34 ·
My EDC is a G19. Is EDC bencause I carry it to work where I spend most of my time on an avg day. I don't carry any extra mags, 2 cell phones is enough...lol. But there is no limit unless there is a law that states a limit. In Pa I can carry an AK pistol with a 100 round drum of 7.62 and another 5 drums on my belt. It is odd and and over the top but not illegal.

#35 ·
Ya know?

I think a legal limit on extra rounds is about as idiotic as a legal limit on the cash that any law abiding citizen can possess.

#36 ·
I have been in a few gunfights and have only used all eight rounds in my Colt 45 ONCE and that was only because there were three attackers. And in the other incidents, one shot from my trusty revolver was enough to end the hostilities. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of criminals are looking for an easy target and any resistance is usually enough to send them running. The emphasis on high capacity magazines is driven by Hollywood's unrealistic depiction of gun battles. If any of us needs more than fifteen rounds in a pistol, we are in the wrong situation.

#42 ·
If one were not in "the wrong situation," one wouldn't need any rounds, to begin with, would one?? In these days of threats of violence by the kind of folks that tend to gather in groups, how is it possible to have too many rounds?

I'm curious as to what caused you to be in so many gunfights? You mean where you're exchanging gunfire with a b.g.?? Even cops I know rarely, if ever, get in real gunfights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.