1911Forum banner

Getting ready for IDPA questions?

3K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  MarkP 
#1 ·
Found a local match 30 min from the house, looking forward to giving it a try.

I have been looking at forums trying to get info with few relults.

I am going into this with the intentions of just having fun and getting more hands on with my carry gun.

I will be using my Kimber Ultra CDP II in a M Sparks VM-II holster. I also have a M Sparks single IWB mag pouch, which is giving me fits trying to get a reliable grip on the mag.

Now for the questions:

What type/brand mag pouch is commonly used? OWB or IWB?
What type/brand cover shirt is most commonly used?
With a 7+1 gun and single mag pouch w/7rd mag, can I complete all CoF's?(I can get a 3rd mag, but will I need to have a pouch for it and it on me?)

This reload with retention buisness is a thrill to do reliably. It rained here all day yesterday so started doing some practice. I figured this is where all my time will be lost in a match so I started with it. Only took a few minutes to figure out that something must change.

My practice went something like this; draw, dryfire COM, tac reload, then get back on target and simulate a dryfire with a good site pic, over and over again.

I tried this with a T-shirt for a cover shirt, and with a flanel shirt as a cover. The T-shirt was more consistant for me, but what do you do with your retained mag? I tried craming it in every pocket I had with no consistancy!

If you guys can shead some light on these questions and/or guide me to a link or something where I can read up on these type subjects it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks to all,
Later..

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If you want to compete, OWB holsters are faster. Fobus makes a dandy OWB cheap double mag pouch. Whatever cover garment you use (try a photo vest with some keys in the pocket) you should be able to hold your arms out straight and your gun and holster be completely covered.

I always put my mag in my front pocket. The vest pockets tend to not be there when you need them. Or you can wear cargo pants and put the mag in the leg pocket.

You will need two mags on your belt, one in the gun and a charging mag in your pocket. Your gun has to be at top capacity 7 + 1 if you are going with 7 round mags.

#3 ·
Later this month I too am going to try a IDPA match for the first time and want to know same questions..

Frank

#4 ·
GSS

Are you going to Gallatin on the 2nd weekend? They are a great bunch of guys to shoot with. They'll tell you all you need to know. The main thing with any match is that you have a fun SAFE day! After one match you'll have a better idea of what's competitive. Your holster and gun are just fine. If you only have one mag carrier don't worry about it. Just shoot and decide if you like it, before you spend money.

As for the reloads, it just takes practice. The best thing to do is to watch other people at matches a try some of there techniques until you figure out what's best for you. In no time you'll start figuring out the tricks and learning how to seek small, LEGAL advantages on stages. Just remember to have fun with it. Your skill will begin to improve with time. :D

#5 ·
Try the Official Pant of IDPA, the Royal Robbins 5.11. These pants have slash pockets front and rear, and they meet at the side seam; when I do a reload, I lower the mag along my hip until I feel it enter the lip of the (rear) pocket, then I let it go. It drops right in and your hand is then about two inches from your reload. If you're kneeling, or otherwise contorted, it can get a bit trickier. If you are not going to leave your shooting position after the reload, try sticking the mag in the small of your back (IWB); there is usually a small, natural depression there, and the small of your back is always in the same place, regardless of shooting position.
I used to practice the Tac Load exclusively, as the rule book allows the course designer to specify tac loads rather than RWR (better to practice the one that is more difficult, I thought). I was told by an Area Coordinator/SO Instructor that that was no longer the case, and that the two retention loads are absolutely interchangeable. I believed him, and have changed to practicing the RWR, as it is generally faster, from shot to shot. The only time I use the Tac Load any more, is in situations like string two of stage three, of the classifier, where you are shooting from one position, reloading, then moving to a different position before shooting again; I stow the mag while moving between positions, and think that is a little faster than doing the complete RWR before leaving the barricade.
Even when I use an IWB holster, I use an Outside mag pouch. I have a double El Paso Saddlery pouch, and two single Blocker pouches, and just arange them as my attire warrants. You really need four mags. There is no inherent advantage to having 7s or 8s, as individual course designs might favor one over the other, and it will become a wash.

#6 ·
As far as mags go , the more you have the better. Sometimes you might shoot multiple strings of a C.o.F. More mags just makes things go faster. OWB seems to be most popular and faster. I like Blade-Tech. I wear Royal Robbins pants for the reason stated above. My vest is a Domke photo vest. You can go to www.idpa.com and check out some of the most popular gear for the 2003 nationals.

Your reloads are something that you can definately lose or gain time on. They are simple to master though, it just takes practice. I like to practice at home in the evenings. You can get in a few hundred reloads a night just by doing them during Tv commercials.

#7 ·
For a practical defensive pistol association, there sure are a lot of "somewhat competition style" gear that people use - special pants, special vests, etc... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I want to compete, just for the fun of it. I would love to see a specific box stock class that only allows select pistols, factory loads only and a maximum of 7 rounds per mag. Something that can really test your skills, rather than your budget. I am always looking for an excuse to buy a new pistol, why not have something like a Springfield GI .45 class (7 rd. mags, OTC factory ammo, no modifications of any kind) or maybe a Glock 17 class (10 rd mags., OTC factory ammo, no modifications of any kind), and only a Fobus paddle holster and double mag pouch to keep costs down? It would be a great entry level class to get more people into the sport and would help build skill. The initial equipment expense should be relatively inexpensive at $500-600 and the gun and equipment could easily be sold if someone decided they didn't want to compete or wanted to move to a different class and get new equipment.

I didn't mean to be partial to 2 specific makes of pistols, the pistols could be anything, but it would be easiest if only 1 DA only, 1 SA only and 1 revolver were chosen, rather than a range of guns like the standard classes offer currently. This would need to be a straight forward, no frills entry level division that gets more people interested in the shooting sports. Guns alone are intimidating enough to keep a good majority of people away from IDPA, let alone the thought of competition and actually having to perform under pressure. In general, I have found many shooters to be fairly friendly and accomodating to new faces, but I have also found a lot of shooters tend to be very clicky like high school kids and hot rodders. If it isn't the haves vs. the have nots, its Ford vs. Chevy, or 1911 vs. Glock. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

#8 ·
Px - you just described GSSF and the Single Stack classic.

Mag pouch= outside ,get 2 singles vs. a double for more flexibility.

Shirt/over garment => anything with a heavy fabric.
what do you do with your retained mag?
you should have some primary and secondary choices.
Pockets - pants or vest..can't put it in the shirt pocket.
Waistband - front or back .
Pouch - you can always put it back to the pouch - but it may not be the fastest method,especially with a skinny mag.

www.idpa.com and read over the rules to get a handle on things.
Welcome to the sport :cool:

#9 ·
PX9109L said:
For a practical defensive pistol association, there sure are a lot of "somewhat competition style" gear that people use - special pants, special vests, etc... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I want to compete, just for the fun of it. I would love to see a specific box stock class that only allows select pistols, factory loads only and a maximum of 7 rounds per mag. Something that can really test your skills, rather than your budget. I am always looking for an excuse to buy a new pistol, why not have something like a Springfield GI .45 class (7 rd. mags, OTC factory ammo, no modifications of any kind) or maybe a Glock 17 class (10 rd mags., OTC factory ammo, no modifications of any kind), and only a Fobus paddle holster and double mag pouch to keep costs down? It would be a great entry level class to get more people into the sport and would help build skill. The initial equipment expense should be relatively inexpensive at $500-600 and the gun and equipment could easily be sold if someone decided they didn't want to compete or wanted to move to a different class and get new equipment.

I didn't mean to be partial to 2 specific makes of pistols, the pistols could be anything, but it would be easiest if only 1 DA only, 1 SA only and 1 revolver were chosen, rather than a range of guns like the standard classes offer currently. This would need to be a straight forward, no frills entry level division that gets more people interested in the shooting sports. Guns alone are intimidating enough to keep a good majority of people away from IDPA, let alone the thought of competition and actually having to perform under pressure. In general, I have found many shooters to be fairly friendly and accomodating to new faces, but I have also found a lot of shooters tend to be very clicky like high school kids and hot rodders. If it isn't the haves vs. the have nots, its Ford vs. Chevy, or 1911 vs. Glock. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
No one gets any trophies in IDPA. If you want to compete for the fun of it as you say, come out and do it. Bring 4 mags, your pistol, holster and put your spare mags in your back pocket. Use an old flannel shirt as a cover garment. Opening 3 extra classes for one specific type of pistol seems like a major step back. You would already be in Novice class. What more do you want? You don't have to buy special vests or pants to shoot. I shoot in jeans or shorts and tennis shoes. I wear a vest because it is extremely lightweight and it can get hot on the range. It cost me $15.
We have a class for you and whatever pistol you bring. No sense making up more classes.

#10 ·
Many people use a Fobus or Uncle Mikes or whatever Kydex holster and mag pouch. They are cheap and work fine. Use single or double mag pouches -- your choice. IDPA rules limit you to two reloads. Many shooters use a third pouch to carry the magazine they will use to load the gun at the start of the stage. This is fine since the pouch will be empty when the buzzer goes off. Everybody else just stuffs a third magazine in a pocket. You'll find it easiest to carry a fourth magazine in a pocket for topping off the gun as required by the rules.

Yes, you can use 7 round magazines. The Rules state that no course of fire can REQUIRE more than 18 rounds (you can usually shoot more) so 3 magazines plus one in the chamber is 22 rounds. Plenty, unless you shoot like me! The only time you will be severely disadvantaged is when a course requires exactly nine shots (like 3 BG's with 3 shots each). The reload will ruin your time, but it's still fun.

As stated by others, any shirt or vest that covers the gun and holster is legal. I recommend against flannel shirts as I find they are too soft and don't flip out of the way very well. Stiffer, heavier material is better. Lots of practice is even better.

I, too, mainly practice Tactial Reloads. Besides being the most difficult, the first half is the same as reloading from slide lock. And, the rules state that when a Reload with Retention is called for, a Tactical Reload is always acceptable.

Most important of all: JUST GO! Unless the local club and people are anal, they will be happy to show you what gear they use, how they wear it, and plenty of other advice. If you don't have the right gear the first time, someone will usually loan you an extra or the club will let you shoot for "no score" at the worst.

#11 ·
Just a couple more questions and I'll leave you all alone.

What is the expected procedure for loading your 7+1 at the line. You are told to make ready, you draw the empty gun, insert loaded magazine, cycle the slide, do a tac reload, put the less one (6) magazine in your pocket, holster the gun?

At a small facility, I'm guessing everyone shoots thru one stage before moving to the next. After you shoot a stage, is there lots of time to spectate/BS with everyone? Or do most places have the provisions to shoot multiple stages at once? Do I need to pack as light as possible or is a mid size range type bag and a standard size PlayMate cooler the norm? Being totaly new and not really knowing anyone would it be frowned on if I got there early to help set up not knowing what I was doing?

How often are stages set up to favor 8+1 setups? Am I going to be the only person at a match with 7+1 gun. I had rather not be the only guy out there doing a tac reload for a 9 shot course. Look at the clumsy new guy with the 2 minute stage time, HaHa!!

I'll pick up a couple Fobus mag holders and 2 more mags. I think I'll keep my T-shirt as cover untill I get to see in person what everyone is doing. I looked at the pics on the IDPA site, 50% of the people shooting had no cover shirt, what is up with that?

Guys, you have been a great help, thanks for the straight up replys. If anyone here will be shooting with the Volunteer Pistol Club at Brush Creek TN, I'll see you there...

Thanks again,
Later...

#12 ·
GSS said:
Just a couple more questions and I'll leave you all alone.

What is the expected procedure for loading your 7+1 at the line. You are told to make ready, you draw the empty gun, insert loaded magazine, cycle the slide, do a tac reload, put the less one (6) magazine in your pocket, holster the gun?

At a small facility, I'm guessing everyone shoots thru one stage before moving to the next. After you shoot a stage, is there lots of time to spectate/BS with everyone? Or do most places have the provisions to shoot multiple stages at once? Do I need to pack as light as possible or is a mid size range type bag and a standard size PlayMate cooler the norm? Being totaly new and not really knowing anyone would it be frowned on if I got there early to help set up not knowing what I was doing?

How often are stages set up to favor 8+1 setups? Am I going to be the only person at a match with 7+1 gun. I had rather not be the only guy out there doing a tac reload for a 9 shot course. Look at the clumsy new guy with the 2 minute stage time, HaHa!!

I'll pick up a couple Fobus mag holders and 2 more mags. I think I'll keep my T-shirt as cover untill I get to see in person what everyone is doing. I looked at the pics on the IDPA site, 50% of the people shooting had no cover shirt, what is up with that?

Guys, you have been a great help, thanks for the straight up replys. If anyone here will be shooting with the Volunteer Pistol Club at Brush Creek TN, I'll see you there...

Thanks again,
Later...

Your procedure for loading is correct

The clubs I shoot at divide into sqauds, your entire sqaud shoots a stage before moving to the next so you will have plenty of time to watch. Especially if you have plenty of mags and don't spend all of your down time getting ready for the next stage.

Range bag choices are limitless, I use a Pro-Shooters Tournament series bag which is big enough to live out of, some use a 5 gal bucket.

Show up early and tell them you are new, they will be glad to put you to work setting up, they will also answer any questions you might have.

Fobus gear is cheap but you might want to consider Uncle Mikes kydex or Blade-Techs' injection molded line. They are comparable in price and much better qaulity.

As far as cover garments some take them off when not shooting and some stages don't require them.

#13 ·
At the range here, they want you to use a mag with one round to load the first round, rather than use a full mag,cycle the slide, and put the 6 round magazine in your pocket.

#14 ·
mikeM1911A1 said:
At the range here, they want you to use a mag with one round to load the first round, rather than use a full mag,cycle the slide, and put the 6 round magazine in your pocket.
Where did they come up with that? Sure wasn't the rulebook.

#15 ·
MarkP said:
Px - you just described GSSF and the Single Stack classic.

Mag pouch= outside ,get 2 singles vs. a double for more flexibility.

Shirt/over garment => anything with a heavy fabric.

you should have some primary and secondary choices.
Pockets - pants or vest..can't put it in the shirt pocket.
Waistband - front or back .
Pouch - you can always put it back to the pouch - but it may not be the fastest method,especially with a skinny mag.

www.idpa.com and read over the rules to get a handle on things.
Welcome to the sport :cool:
I know there are other competitions out there that have very well defined rules, but I guess I wasn't aware the GSSF and Single Stack Classic were IDPA style defensive pistol events. I haven't actually looked for one of those events, but I don't recall even seeing them promoted at any local clubs in my area (not to say they aren't, but IDPA, IPSC and USPSA events seem to be much more visible). I was only trying to say that it sure would be nice to actually have a stock type class for the beginner, rather than just having them get classed into a novice division already in place. No one likes to come to their first match and look "stupid" their first time out or hold up everyone else because they are 2-3 times slower or unaware of all of the rules. Last time I checked, I didn't see any clubs in my area offering "new shooter" IDPA classes or anything to get newbies accustomed to the sport and the rules. IDPA is an organization, but the most I have ever heard anyone tell a new shooter is to read the rule book, show up with or without all the stuff you need (borrow what you don't have), and shoot. In my mind, that is hardly the way most people like to do things.

Can I also ask why you suggest 2 single mag pouches vs. 1 double? Is it just so you can space them an inch or so apart or do you actually put them in two distinctly different areas?

#17 ·
PX9109L said:
I know there are other competitions out there that have very well defined rules, but I guess I wasn't aware the GSSF and Single Stack Classic were IDPA style defensive pistol events. I haven't actually looked for one of those events, but I don't recall even seeing them promoted at any local clubs in my area (not to say they aren't, but IDPA, IPSC and USPSA events seem to be much more visible). I was only trying to say that it sure would be nice to actually have a stock type class for the beginner, rather than just having them get classed into a novice division already in place. No one likes to come to their first match and look "stupid" their first time out or hold up everyone else because they are 2-3 times slower or unaware of all of the rules. Last time I checked, I didn't see any clubs in my area offering "new shooter" IDPA classes or anything to get newbies accustomed to the sport and the rules. IDPA is an organization, but the most I have ever heard anyone tell a new shooter is to read the rule book, show up with or without all the stuff you need (borrow what you don't have), and shoot. In my mind, that is hardly the way most people like to do things.

Can I also ask why you suggest 2 single mag pouches vs. 1 double? Is it just so you can space them an inch or so apart or do you actually put them in two distinctly different areas?
re:single vs. dbl >personal preference.

While I never said GSSF and SSC matches were defensive matches ,only that they are gun specific as referred by your original post.

Don't worry about how you look or wether you are 2 to 3 times slower than everyone else.I would rather a novice be SAFE and cautious than fast and reckless . I think most of these other posters would agree.
Last night we had a 'new shooter' at the indoor IDPA match - never shot a competion event before.He did have a little tactical training background and wasn't a safety hazard to himself or others.Did fairly well too.

My advice - check out the local scene at the range.Not everyone will be the 'go-fast' types and most will be happy to give you advice on getting started.

#18 ·
GSSF matches are for Glock pistols only, most shooters are typical plinkers. These events are less stressful than other types of action shooting events, i.e. no movements, no timed reloading.

Single Stack Society are for 1911s only and only held in Illinois but Mr. Richard Heinie and gang.

There is no division or classification less than "novice" in IDPA. A shooter needs not be pressured to try to keep up with the seasoned veteran shooters. Take other people's advice and go to a match and have fun. A forum can only give limited advice on the sport. Watching with one's own eyes will get many questions answered.

Two single vs. one double magazine pouch is an individual choice. No advantage either way. As stated by a previous member, two singles allows a bit more flexibility in positioning the pouches around the pants belt loops.

Some bigger IDPA clubs do offer "beginner's orientation" classes. Smaller clubs probably lacks manpower and facility to provide such orientation.

No one should feel "stupid" at a match. Everyone were beginners once, including Rob Leatham.

#19 ·
PX9109L said:
Last time I checked, I didn't see any clubs in my area offering "new shooter" IDPA classes or anything to get newbies accustomed to the sport and the rules. IDPA is an organization, but the most I have ever heard anyone tell a new shooter is to read the rule book, show up with or without all the stuff you need (borrow what you don't have), and shoot. In my mind, that is hardly the way most people like to do things.

1 club that I shoot at always has a "new shooters" briefing where the basic safety procedures and rules are covered.New shooters have a red star on their score sheets so that the SO knows they are new, they are never asked to shoot first and always get a little extra consideration. We have also had new shooter classes where more experienced shooters put on a 1 day class to teach the basics of the game. This year we are starting a mentor program where new shooters will have an experienced shooter assigned to them to help them through the match. I would suggest you talk to your match director about doing some of these things. It does, of course require that someone volunteer to help do it.

#20 ·
GSS, tell everyone in Brush Creek I said Hi. They are a good bunch of people. Tell them it's your first time and they will take care of you. If I can be there, I will.

#21 ·
eljay45 said:
... This year we are starting a mentor program where new shooters will have an experienced shooter assigned to them to help them through the match. I would suggest you talk to your match director about doing some of these things. It does, of course require that someone volunteer to help do it.
This is a great idea. I've been thinking about joining IDPA for a while now, but since I'm fairly new shooter and have never done any type of competition, I am sort of intimidated by the whole thing, and need a "jump start" to start doing it. If I could find somebody who would "adopt" me and mentor me for a while, I'm sure I'd be able to go on my own relatively quickly. Too bad you aren't in Dallas... :(

#23 ·
I started IDPA a few years ago. I totally love it! Plus we have "side matches" at some of the clubs I shoot. Carbine and shotgun.

Here on the border of North and South Carolina, I could go every weekend if I wanted to. Well, I do want to but..................I am also married. :cool:

Too bad she has no interest in it.

Enjoy, and listen to the range/safety officers. You can't be too carefull.

#24 ·
Just do it - you'll love it

I just started shooting IDPA last year. I now have a whopping two matches under my belt.

I too was concerned about showing up and looking like an idiot because I didn't know anyone there or what to expect. So the first match I attended I didn't shoot and just watched. Boy I was kicking myself afterwards for not taking a gun. It looked like a lot of fun! Everyone was really helpful and explained anything I had questions about. I also found out that they are very lenient with new shooters about what equipment they need. If you don't have a concealment garment - no problem. Just try out the sport and if you enjoy it and want to keep competing, then you can get the other items. Of course this was the attitude of the range I attended; others may be different, but I would hope this type of politeness and encouragement is commonplace.

So anyway, a month later, I went out again and this time I brought my Kimber in it's IWB holster and two mag pouches. I told the lady at the registration desk I was new and she introduced me to some SOs and put me in a squad with only three other people so no one would get upset with my stupid questions. I had a blast and plan on attending most of the local matches this year.

One thing I learned...shoot your own game. Don't worry about the skill levels of the other members of your squad. My first stage had a bunch swingers and sliders and spinners triggered by a pull rope. I had just finished watching an extremely fast shooter blow through the stage and thought I would mimic him. I shoot a couple of targets, reload, pull the rope and wait for some sliding targets to appear. Here they come. I pull up, fire a shot, and watch as my mag falls out of my pistol. In my attempt to be super fast, I didn't get the mag seated fully and there I stood with an empty gun while targets were flipping and flopping and spinning all over the place.:eek: Luckily, the SO was a good guy and let me reshoot the stage because it was my first ever IDPA experience. I took it slow and shot to my ability and had a much more successful (and enjoyable) time.

Sorry this got so long, but the moral is just get out there, let them know you are new and have a good time and meet some great people. I'm sure you'll be coming back for more. :)

Shoot well,
jon

#25 ·
There is no inherent advantage to having 7+1 or 8+1 in your .45. At our club, we try to have stages that require no reload (6 rounds or less), or require everyone to reload (12 rounds or more), so that everyone gets a similar challenge. Some stages might favor 7+1 and some will favor 8+1; by the end of the match, it will be a wash. If you have a 4-target array, having 7+1 might give you an advantage, as you can do a slidelock reload, when the 8+1 crowd will have to do a retention load. On another stage, having the "extra" round might be beneficial.

#26 ·
RickB, thanks for your coments, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how 7+1 could be an advantage over 8+1. That makes perfect sence...

Thank you for clearing that up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.