1911Forum banner

Mag options for my DW CCO

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Gerlon2fingers 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum and am also new to the 1911. I have owned my DW CCO for a total of three days now. I have been shopping around for some extra magazines. I'm a little confused on what will work with my pistol. Wilson seems to make the 7 round magazines but they don't state if they are compatible with the DW. Wolff and Checkmate also make 7 round magazines but I'm not sure if they're compatible either. I know DW makes them but would also like to see what else is available. Maybe they all are compatible and I'm just clueless. Any input would be greatly appreciated :D

#3 ·
That's great, thank you for the info :)

#4 ·
I see that a lot of the mags have welded floor plates and some have removable floor plates. Is one better then the other or is it just a matter of preference? I imagine the welded floor plates fit more flush in the mag well compared to the removable ones.

#7 ·
You have much to learn grasshopper. As a general rule those with removable baseplates have extended tubes and are not flush to the bottom of the grip, but this isn't always the case. The Kimpro Tac Mag is flush and has a removal baseplate. Also, keep in mind that with flush compact mags the original intent was to put 6 rounds in the tube. Checkmate and Chip McCormick figured out how to create a folding follower which allows you to cram another round in there, but some believe you do so by downsizing the spring and then compressing it too much thereby reducing the spring life and reliably. Others thing it works just fine. Regardless of how you come out on that debate, there is no debating that cramming another round into the flush tube makes it harder to seat the magazine with a closed slide. It in not uncommon for folks to mix and match. They will use a flush mag for carry (6 or 7 rounds), but will use a non-flush (typically with a slam pad/large baseplate, and either 7 or 8 rounds) for their backup.

Also, most of the gun manufacturers (including Dan Wesson) use others to make their magazines. The Dan Wesson magazines are private labeled Checkmate magazines. I believe the Kimpro Tac magazines are also manufactured by Checkmate.

As for the Wilson magazine, a search of this forum will reveal that some have had to modify the basepad to allow the magazine to seat properly. I have no personal experience in this regard, but it made me leary.

Also, be careful with Chip McCormick (CMC) mags. They are supposed to be excellent magazines, but his follower is known to damage aluminum frames. He has developed a modified follower that is supposed to be aluminium frame safe, but I have no personal experience with it.

#8 · (Edited)
I was looking at the Checkmate magazines and there are so many different options for the same mag. Some are $20 and others are $30. What makes one better then the other. What's the difference between a flat follower and a check mate or a rounded follower? What makes one better than the other? Sorry for all of the questions, it's just a little confusing :( I appreciate your guy's feedback though. Thank you TocoHillsGuy :)

#9 · (Edited)
I was looking at the Checkmate magazines and there are so many different options for the same mag. Some are $20 and others are $30. What makes one better then the other. What's the difference between a flat follower and a check mate or a rounded follower? What makes one better than the other? Sorry for all of the questions, it's just a little confusing :( I appreciate your guy's feedback though. Thank you TocoHillsGuy :)
It's confusing because you have so many choices that are designed to do essentially the same thing...feed a round into the chamber. Folks have given a lot of time and effort to figure out the best approach to accomplish that task. If you look at the top of the follower on your Dan Wesson/Checkmate magazine you'll notice there are patent numbers printed on it. Obviously Checkmate thought enough of its solution to patent the follower. In addition to the follower you have to consider the design of the feed lips and the strength of the springs and the magazine tube. Then there are issues with regard to the strength the baseplate and on and on it goes. Here are a few of the different follower approaches...

Bottom line. Some pistols seem to run on all of the magazines. Some pistols seem to run better with only some of the magazines. Additionally for some pistols some magazines will work better with ball ammo and some with hollow points. And then there are wadcutters. And to confuse you even more, the results are not always consistent across pistol models. For example, my Wesson CCO may run fine with a Wilson, and yours may not. I'm fortunate in that all of my 1911s seem to run well with every magazine I've tried. My advice is to stick with quality manufacturers, and stick with a follower that has a shirt in the front that keeps the follower from thrusting forward and gouging the aluminum frame.

Up to this point I think I've given you only generic information that few would debate. Now I will add some opinion that is certainly subject to debate. I think the principal advantage of the patented Checkmate follower is its ability to fold and allow one more round into a standard length tube. If you don't want or need an extra round in a standard length tube I'm not sure it's the best solution. You can use stronger and more robust springs and not stress them as much with an extended tube. Also the magazines seat easier with an extended tube. I think Tripp Cobras and Wilson ETM magazines are the best of the extended tube breed. I also like the Metalform Elite extended tube magazines. Having said that I'm using the stock flush tube 7 rounder in my CCO (because I want it to be flush, I want the extra round, and it seems to work), but not for the backup magazine. In that regard I've ironically ignored my own advice and converted a flush non-compact KimPro Tac 8 rounder into a compact mag. I'll see how it works out.

#5 ·
removable ones allow them to be cleaned or to have the guts swapped down the road.

#6 ·
Good info, so welded floor plate mags are not upgradeable. That's good to know. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.