1911Forum banner

Best Cheap 1911?

17K views 54 replies 39 participants last post by  Gun Junkie 
#1 ·
Not bottom of the line like a GI would have so not 100% cheapo as just a little more would net a few things like better sights and maybe lower ejection port
Armscor Tactical?

#6 ·
Metro Arms Classic II. Really nicely made pistol. I bought one to use primarily as a frame for my .22 conversion, but the complete gun shoots pretty good. It has a beavertail and fairly decent sights, a Commander hammer and an okay trigger. I think I paid $379 about a year ago. Might be a little more now. I like it better that the RIA.

Vmo

#8 ·
Define cheap. If I were wanting something for less than $700 I'd get a Springfield Mil-Spec.

#21 · (Edited)
Define cheap? that to me at this time is Lower cost but still a good product that has some quality.
Good quality and good 3 dot Sights are must as the person it is for has trouble with low GI type sights.
A lowered ejection port would be good as an extra but needed as my own 45 does not even have one.
Thing is the gun will be for my son who was given this 9mm that had less than 50 rounds pass through it by me before he got it.
He hates the sights! But with good reason, he has a hard time with them, plus and really wants a 45.
I do not want to spend Bigger $$ and will let him later trade up to a better more $$ gun later if he should want to.
Looking at RIA Tactical{$500 or so } and Remington R1's {$579}

So getting him any gun with low GI type sights would be just as bad

#16 ·
Best is subjective but the Rock Island Armory 1911's are excellent values. I found my GI for 380 and my Tactical model was bought NIB for 452 out the door.

As for finding Colts at miracle prices on Gunbroker? Well, yeah, one might be GOING for 450 or 500 when you see it but most XSE's and even basic models sell for a shade of six hundred and usually more than that. If you also want a gun now instead of waiting and burning your eyes out looking for the one true deal on gunbroker? Well you can be in for a long flipping wait.

RIA, Citadel, the STI Spartan (all manufactured by Armscor) are good picks. The Ruger is hard to come by. American Classic made by Metro Arms has had some issues with FTFs and the like but most owners seem happy and trouble free. I'm assuming by entry level you mean around six hundred or less.

#20 ·
American Classic made by Metro Arms has had some issues with FTFs and the like but most owners seem happy and trouble free.[[
Absolutely true. I own the American Classic Commander and after realizing my FTE and FTF issues were simply a non tuned extractor, I fixed it and have had ZERO issues whatsoever. Even get compliments on it at the range.
$460 out the door. I got screwed, I know, but its the cost of living in Alaska a lot of the time.

#24 · (Edited)
The R1 has pretty good sights but lacks the bells and whistles of the RIA TAC and cost a bit more. If you can find a Ruger SR1911 at a decent price that would be even better since it's stainless.

For a starter .45 the RIA TAC should fit the bill, if my kid were a few years older and stated he wanted a tricked out 1911 that's what I'd get him. Sadly, knowing him the way I do he'll likely want an original WWII 1911.

#28 ·
Asking for opinions, so I will give you MY opinion, which will vary from person to person. My opinion for a NEW in the box 1911 is:

The best 1911 for $400 or less is the RIA GI. I own one and great gun.

Best 1911 for under $700 is the Ruger SR1911 and the Desert Eagle 1911 G. I own both and both excellent guns.

Best 1911 under $1000 is Kimber Custom II or Kimber Stainless II. I own both and excellent shooting guns.

I've got other 1911's over $1000, but I won't get into that as I don't think the original thread intended to spend over $1000, or so I'm assuming. I've also got other 1911's under $1000 but didnt think enough of them to mention. But the best overall 1911 I own is a custom Les Baer. And yes, cost WELL over $1000, but dang it sure makes me a better shooter than what I really am.

But as someone stated earlier, for your first 1911 you can find some great names at great prices (Springfield, Kimber, Colt, and many more) if you look for a used 1911 on gunbroker.com, local gun dealers, talking to friends who own guns, etc.

#32 · (Edited)
Where does the quality stop and the name starts?

Greetings 1911 friends,

I feel I need to throw my two cents in on this situation. I thought I was going cheap with a Kimber Custom II. I figured the name of Kimber and it being there base model I was safe. I ordered the pistol from my local gun shop and about three weeks later it showed up. I spent 850 with tax included. What I got, was a complete heart-ache. Plastic maine spring housing, black sights with no dot's to indicate where your at on your target, and by far the worst finnish I have ever seen on a pistol. Black oxidize that you can literally scratch off with your finger nail. The pistol had so many ftf and stove pipe issues. Im going to sell it when I get it back**** Where does the quality stop and the name starts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.