1911Forum banner

What mods have you done to your Kimber?

3K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  enforcer22 
#1 ·
I have a TLE II that I replaced the FLGR with a GI, ambi safety and extended slide release. S&A magwell and VZ grips.:rock:

See less See more
#6 ·
Oh, not a mod but since I have two Custom II's (one blue/back and one stainless) I also switch the slides back and forth which gives me four Custom II's (cosmetically speaking). They still feel and shoot the same. It gives me a little more "varieity" (solid or two-tone) in the Kimber section of the 1911 herd.

And, since I also own two .22 conversions (Kimber - Stainless and Marvel Unit 2 - Black) more configurations are possible in the Kimber picture.

A couple of the folks at the range are always trying to figure out what Kimber is the Kimber I actually showed up with on any given day. :scratch:

I just love jacking with people's minds at times. :dope:

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

#7 ·
I have A Custom Classic Series One in blue. I dumped the flgr for the std gi set up(brown). Its wearing black ergo drips with a wilson speed shute and a piece of 3m stair tape on the front strap. Finally I put on a set of kimber night sghts as my IWIs faded again( when I bought the Kimber in 97, nobody made night sites sold I had the original iron sights drilled). It a good to go pistol. I have maybe 725 in it max and I would bet my life on it in a heartbeat.

PS Mit...
I am looking fo a stainless Series one to go with my original blue one. I did not think of the additonal advantage of being able to swith out frames and slides for two -two tone looks. I am know absolutely going to buy a Series One staineless!!!

#8 ·
I have the custom II. I put the pearce rubber finger groove on it (the one that installs under the wood grips), installed a curved backstrap with a magwell, and installed an Ultradot L/T red dot sight. It shoots and handles like a dream and I can now compete with the 'young' fellas.

#9 · (Edited)
Dumped the ambi safety for a new standard, 3-dot white sights, walnut grips, dumped FLG and put the g.i. plug and short guide rod, base pads on all mags. (to firmly seat the first time), 18 1/2 lb. recoil spring, series 70 firing pin to override the series II system , grip tape on the front strap, replaced msh w/smith & alexander and use Chip McCormick shooting star magazines....

#11 ·
Replaced those cheap plastic mainspring housings with quality checkered stainless steel ones on my TLE II and Compact stainless guns. Why dosen't Kimber make the plastic ones optional on a nine hundred dollar pistol???

#13 ·
Compact Custom:

Added an arched MSH, Pachmayr "Signature Grips", and (not in this pic) XS "small dot" night sights. (This is a 4" all-steel gun with an "Officer's" sized frame. Great carry....)

Love the little guy but it eats recoil springs - or at least the one that came in it.

No regrets....

Regards,

#14 ·
Kimber pre-series II Classic Custom.

Heinie Straight-Eights
EGW Angle-Bore Barrel Bushing
GI Recoil Guide and Plug
Ed Brown firing pin
Ed Brown extractor
EGW Firing pin stop
Grieder Precision solid trigger
EGW ignition kit
Ed Brown hammer strut
Ed Brown thumb safety
EGW Slidestop
S&A magwell, had a Wilson MSH before
Wilson Plunger tube

Basically the only things factory are the slide, frame, barrel, grip safety and the mag release. Soon it will get a new barrel and grip safety, tighten the slide and frame and a refinish.

Jon

#16 ·
Kimber 10mm eclipse-

Had Virgil Tripp change mainspring housing to Brown bob tail. Also changed extractor, thumb safety, slide stop, mag release, and firing pin stop to Brown and EGW. Then hardchrome over stainless. Finally, alumagrips. Very reliable with DT ammo. Should be pretty rust resistant also:)

Attachments

#20 ·
Pro Carry II HD

Replaced plastic main spring housing with a metal one for a team match II.
Polished chamber and feed ramp
smoothed safety lever
Installed CTC Laser grips
Refinished slide and controls with CeraKote graphite black
Refinished frame, hammer, and barrel with KG GunKote dark earth

Still going to put on the Novak low trit sights (when I get time) and may send it off to carry comp (if they are still in business been about 15 or so years since I had my last 1911 done by them)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.