1911Forum banner

RIA 1911 45acp

14K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Prophet32 
#1 ·
Hey new to the site. I just bought a RIA in the 45 I believe it is the full size 5inch barrel. What do you all know about these weapons besides the usual. How do they shoot? What are some changes you would do right out of the box? I have not shot it yet but I know i need the ramp polished. It seems like it is tight no rattling besides the trigger. Not sure of the poundage on the trigger but would like maybe a 3pd pull. It only came with one mag where can i get more mags? I have a few peices from an old colt 1911 will the parts interchange? ( have not even looked that hard yet). And it maybe my cw any good leather you all recommend? I was wanting a 1911 70 model but this is all they had. I would like a 3.5 barrel 45 1911 if you all have any recomendations let me know.

#4 ·
Whoa there 8buck, slow down! Take that fine new Rock of yours out and shoot it a few hundred times before you start to hankerin' for changes! RIA's are fine pistols, and seldom NEED any changes, but you can do them if you wish. Just get to know 'er first.

Any magazine for a full-size 1911 will work, some just work better than others. The Novak that came with it is a good mag, there's a member here named Auto Mag that's a distributor, he has them at a good price. Chip McCormick magazines work well in all my Rocks too.

Don't be jiggin' around with the trigger pull or ramp polishing until you get to know the gun better, and I'd only have a qualified gunsmith do that stuff. Same with the "old Colt parts". Three pounds is a pretty light trigger, not recommended for a carry gun either. Last thing you want is to be involved in a shooting with a gun that has a modified "hair trigger". 4.5lbs. max is recommended.

And, RIA DOES make a 3.5" version, same size as a Colt Officer's ACP. I have one that I carry all the time. It's very accurate and reliable, it's called the Compact model. Centerfire Systems carries a version of it with the combat hammer, beavertail and Novak sights.

#5 ·
I bought the standard GI model with the intention of upgrading as needed.

I'm a lefty so it got an ambi safety first thing.

The hammer and grip safety were drawing blood (I'm stubborn and have a couple scars from that) so I fitted a beavertail grip safety.

Wood grips just didn't cut it, so it went through another design phase. You see, in the summer, I work my retriever quite a bit, and do a lot of fishing. The pistol rides in a Fobus holster under water a lot in the summer. I began looking around at "tough use" 1911 designs, and settled on the MEU pistol (early model).

So what it ended up with, as a second starting point, was an Ed Brown slide stop, EB beavertail grip safety with no speed bump, Pachmayr grips, Wilson mags, and a few other things. I left the sights stock - I rather like the fine bead they draw. I increased trigger pull weight from 3lbs factory to 7lbs, then slowly brought it down to 4.5-5lbs, where it's perfect for me.

The Pachmayr grips weren't doing it for me - they didn't provide as much support for the right side paddle as did solid grips, they didn't feel right in my hand, and they didn't help support the plunger tube.

Radical Concepts provided the grip. These grips are like the Pachmayrs, but much harder rubber and much more aggressive in their grip.

The ambi safety was changed from STI to Wilson. I just like the Wilson better, and they're easier to cut on and make look good. Thinner paddles for carry is a good thing, I think.

The MSH moved all over the place, so it got replaced with a Brown MSH.

I didn't mess with the accuracy; I could already take out Coke cans at 50yds. Plenty good enough for me.

Here's how it looks at this point:

I redid the safety's coloration to look casehardened. I like the character it gives.

Same deal with the right side. Just enough safety to ride.

I got tired of press checking. The more a gun is messed with throughout the day, the greater the chance of a ND. After discovering my chamber empty ONCE, it became habit to press check before I strapped it on in the morning, and once before bed. I figured a window would be safer.

I had a Hydra-Shok hang on the feed ramp when it was totally dry. There were small machine marks under the bluing, which had worn off, so I polished it. Subsequent chamberings have scratched it up a bit, but it feeds as smooth as butter. Also polished is the extractor and breech face.

Since my sweat has roughly the same PH as HCl, I keep having to reblue the grip safety. The MSH is beginning to look a bit rough as well. I want a new trigger, so I believe it will be getting

1)EGW trigger. These have an overtravel stop, but not the screw in sort. You file it to fit and call it good. As well, it's longer than this trigger and just feels better.

2) Stainless MSH due to the sweat issue.

3) Stainless grip safety, again due to the sweat issue.

But not for a bit. The trigger comes first.

As well, I think I'd like a slightly wider right side safety for my left thumb to ride on, so I'm looking for a right side paddle ("high ride" Wilson's calls it). Wilson will not sell me just the paddle, and I do not need a whole new safety, so that leaves me with the option of finding someone who has one aftermarket.

My opinion of these pistols is this: They function fine from the factory. If I get another, I'll likely carry bob the hammer and radius the grip safety, or (preferably) fit an original 1911, pre-a1, grip safety as they are contoured to the frame. I have some WWII plastic grips laying around here and they'd go on there fine, providing support for the ambi safety I need.

This pistol has been a gem to work on and shoot, and I've learned quite a bit. It's very user friendly and feels at home in my hand, lending itself to instinctual shooting as well.

A final thought on these pistols: If anyone besides the US has a right to make the 1911 pattern pistol, it would be the Filipinos. Look at their role in WWII.

Josh <><

#6 ·
Ya know, when I bought my RIA GI model, I had the same outlook..."What do I need to do to this thing???"

So far, I've done zero mechanical changes, and I doubt I will.

Mine came with a mirror polished feed ramp and barrel throat.

It seems that the older models didn't come this way, but mine was built 11/07.

Guess they added that feature later on.

I say shoot the crap out of it, and you'll fall in love.

#7 ·
hey

well i took my new RIA 45 out to the range and put 100+ through it with no probs what so ever. I am very impressed and happy with the choice. After I got home I was looking through some old stuff and ran across an extended beaver tail, sooooo I put it in. I was glad it was a drop in. I would like to change the trigger and hammer to the skelton one. I like the looks. I found my old pachmyer grips so they also went on replacing the checkerd wood grips that came on it. Just something different i reckon. I am online now looking to see what grips are out there now. Do you all know where I can get a new slide that the sights changeable as mine are the gi fixed ones and i really do not want to be without my weapon and let the gunsmith cut on it. I have read bad reports about peeps sending their slide to have new sights put in and they end being shot off in the first few rounds. But I really really like my firearm. I can not wait to find me a compact one

#9 ·
Slides do not just drop in; they must be fitted to the barrel.

Your sights are changeable - dovetails are not necessary. The front sight is staked on (narrow tenon) and the rear dovetail is just a military cut.

Call Brownells, tell them what you want, and they'll fix you right up with the proper height sights and a staking tool for the front sight.

Josh <><

well i took my new RIA 45 out to the range and put 100+ through it with no probs what so ever. I am very impressed and happy with the choice. After I got home I was looking through some old stuff and ran across an extended beaver tail, sooooo I put it in. I was glad it was a drop in. I would like to change the trigger and hammer to the skelton one. I like the looks. I found my old pachmyer grips so they also went on replacing the checkerd wood grips that came on it. Just something different i reckon. I am online now looking to see what grips are out there now. Do you all know where I can get a new slide that the sights changeable as mine are the gi fixed ones and i really do not want to be without my weapon and let the gunsmith cut on it. I have read bad reports about peeps sending their slide to have new sights put in and they end being shot off in the first few rounds. But I really really like my firearm. I can not wait to find me a compact one

#8 ·
I just picked up one of the 5" RIA's friday, I have 7 other 1911's, 3 colts, 2 springers, 1 kimber and a taurus pt1911, so figure I have something to compare the RIA too, took it out yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find that it ran 300 rounds without a problem what so ever, I find the fit and finish to be good for a 390.00 gun. Checked the trigger pull, came out to 3.6 lbs. The only thing I have done to it was got rid of the grips, put a set of checkered on it, to me it looks and feels better.

#14 ·
There I was...

in a gun shop (actually it was Gander Mountain) where I shouldn't be because I know I'm going to spend some money...I've gotten a few good deals from GM - talked them out a CZ452 LUX .22 for $330 out the door, a nice P1 (with a P38 marked slide).

I was looking at a "used" SIG P230 to buy when I noticed a nickel plated Rock Island 1911A1 in .38 Super. Just the day before I was talking with a friend about having never owned (or shot) a .38 Super and lo and behold there's an affordable one.

I got the SIG for $360 and the Rock for $425; both came with box, papers, magazines; the Sig is an oddity; a Japanese Police overrun; marked 7.65mm; lanyard ring, Euro style mag release, made in Germany. The second magazine had never been out of the plastic bag.

Anyway about the Rock Islands. Saturday there I was, in a gun shop again, when the salesman says here Tim, you may like this...the Rock Island Twin to my .38 Super; only in .45 acp! Here are the twins:

The Super shoots flawlessly; and I traded 400 rounds og surplus 7.62 and 120rounds of 7.5 Swiss for 550 rounds of 38 Super +P and 2 Colt .38 Super mags. I was worried about the .45 because I was having trouble loading dummy ball ammo - I had two FTF in the first 3 magazines but before I was done (maybe 60-70 rounds - it was cold) I emptied an 8 round magazine as fast as I could pull the trigger without trouble...who says guns have to be expensive to perform to a satisfactory level?

#15 ·
About the pics

Randall about the beaver tail clearance, no problems and no adjustments works flawlessly, the pics are Sig 239, Ria 45, derringer 38, And weatherby 300mag sitting in the synthetic stock will post more pics of my other guns in a couple days

#16 ·
Conversion Cost

I am new to the site and also somewhat new to firearms as well... And before i ask i know i am gonna here whyh would i want to do this to a perfectly good .45 but i am not saying i am gonna do this it is just an iquiry. but about how much money would it cost me to turn my RIA 1911 .45 into a 38 super?

What parts would i need to buy and what they cost and what if any gunsmith work would i have to have done

THANKS

#18 ·
I am new to the site and also somewhat new to firearms as well... And before i ask i know i am gonna here whyh would i want to do this to a perfectly good .45 but i am not saying i am gonna do this it is just an iquiry. but about how much money would it cost me to turn my RIA 1911 .45 into a 38 super?

What parts would i need to buy and what they cost and what if any gunsmith work would i have to have done

THANKS
Figure in a new barrel, slide, springs and mag. You're looking at right around $300 or so for quality parts, and the labor will run you another couple hundred - so you're looking at the price of the gun altogether.

It would be just as easy to find an RIA already in .38 Super, they do make them.

You might start a new thread on this as you'll get more answers.

Josh <><

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.