1911Forum banner

Uberti 1866 Yellowboy

14K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  pattym 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I agonized over getting either a Uberti 1866 or 1873 replica, and eventually settled on the 1873 in .357 Magnum. But I do have to admit, the 1866 models are drop-dead gorgeous. If you like pretty firearms you won't be disappointed. There are only a few downsides that I've discovered:

1. Screws are soft, making it hard to remove them without damage. Fortunately VTI Gun Parts sells hardened replacement screws for Uberti pistols and rifles.

2. There are often sharp burrs on some parts, causing malfunctions unless you take a stone and carefully dress them down.

3. With my .357, I discovered that when shooting .38 Specials working the lever fast would sometimes cause a misfeed. I've had no problem so far with the longer .357 rounds. Since the .38 Special sounds like a .22LR coming out of a rifle I choose to shoot .357's anyway just for the experience. I decided against a .45LC rifle simply because the ammo has gotten too darn expensive. An 1866 chambered in .38 Special should have a loading block specifically made for the .38, so I don't think you'll have the same problems I did.

#3 ·
I have the same 1873 in .357 and I love it. I had a short stroke kit put in, but it never worked right (and even got to the point where it would lock up), so I took it out.

I keep toying with getting a Yellow Boy next, but I am never able to find one in .357 or .45 Long Colt - I'm probably going to have to order it...

Bottom line, I have 2 Ubertis and love them both. Enjoy!

#4 ·
I don't believe the 1866 is made in .357 Magnum. .38 Special or .45LC, that's it. There are also a few .22LR's out there, but IIRC they're long out of production and bring some pretty good bucks when found.

#6 ·
Whoops, I forgot about the .44-40 entirely. I'd have loved to have my 1873 in its original caliber, but if you think .45LC is hard to find and expensive just try the .44-40! Definitely a reloader's caliber.

What would be even more cool is if the 1866's original .44RF cartridge was still available.

#9 ·
Maybe you've seen this pic already, but here is my 1873:

If I can ever stop buying 1911s for a brief moment I may get myself a 24" 1866 to go with it. :D

#12 ·
Uberti makes very good products including fine SAA's. A good CAS shop can smooth out either the 66 or 73 which are virtually identical except for the material. They can also properly add the short stroke kit economically. In fact, these shops are the best place to buy a gun. Sometimes they have used guns which have had $400 worth of upgrades that are discounted to the regular price when the CAS shooter owner trades it in for something else. The 45/38 hold their value best with the 44-40 discounted about $200 on used guns as they do not sell as well. The best CAS shop in Oregon is at 541-923-0686 and might have something now or be on the lookout for you.
Pete

#13 ·
I have a 1866 Uberti yellowboy ( Navy Arms ) in 38 spec. If I load the magazine, then try to use the lever to put a bullet into the chamber the gun will jam. It seems like the bullet in the carrier block is pushed back to far by the bullet in the magazine. I had this rifle since the mid 1970's. I tried it 1 time and it jamed. Life took over and now I am looking into it. I would like to fix it myself but if I knew a good gunsmith in the SE Pa area I would take it to them Can anyone give me info? Thanks pattym

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.