1911Forum banner

Looking for a GOOD high capacity 1911 in 45

86K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  Rwehavinfunyet 
#1 ·
I know that it is slightly blasphemous to have a high capacity 1911, because any REAL 1911 will be single stack, . . . but I'd like to have more than 7 or 8 rounds in a gun. Anyway, I'm looking for a GOOD high capacity 1911 with high capacity. What is your suggestion?

Some people suggest the Para 14, but others have lesser feelings about them.

The reason why I'm asking is that I'm considering selling an FN Five Seven, along with 3,100 rounds of 197 to fund a 45 ACP 1911 setup.

BTW, . . . for this thread, pictures are GREAT, if you have them!

#5 · (Edited)
They sell a 40 round drum mag for the 1911, and although I would trust them with my life and it would not be easy to carry or conceal I would like to get one just for poops and giggles at the range. But as far as I am concerned 8+1 with 2 to 4 spare mags is enough for me

http://www.midwayusa.com:80/viewProduct/?productNumber=564303#enlarge

PS I should point out that out of 9 reviews all said the darn thing does not work, that does not mean I would not like to own one some day I just want to own one that will work. They seemed to get it right 100 years ago when JMB designed it with a 8 round mag so why change things now

======================================================

By the way if my life is at stake I would rather have 8 rounds of .45 ACP than 20 of 5.7

#6 ·
I was looking for the same kind of setup a few years ago. I went to a gunshow, hoping to find an STI of some sort. I ended up buying a Wilson Combat CQB in 38 Super. I thought it was a great compromise. The same single stack grip that we all love with 10 rounds of 38 Super. I realize it is not 45 acp, but with Corbon ammo, the round is very effective.

That gun, got me back into shooting a lot, and i have since bought a few STIs for USPSA. I love STIs and would have to recommend one of theirs for a high cap 45acp.

Here is a pic of my Tactical 5.0 in 40S&W. It was tuned and plated by Tripp Research.

#8 ·
It depends. Roll of the dice. The one I bought for a build is craptacular. But I don't care as all I am using is the frame and slide.

#11 ·
I have a Springfield hi-cap, which was originally pitched as a "product improved" P14. It uses Para mags, but not much else in interchangeable. It's offered now only in G.I. form, but used to be available as a sort-of Loaded model with a beavertail. It's a big, heavy gun (44+ ounces with S&A magwell and FLGR), but does hold 14+1 rounds of .45 goodness.

#18 ·
Sir,

You have excellent taste in a high cap 1911. That pistol would be my choice for the OP.

#13 ·
Hi-Cap .45

I have an original Para P-14 and it shoots fine. I put an aftermarket barrel in it and it is very accurate.

If you want to spend the money, an STI or SVI are great guns and have stood the test of time. Many competition shooters use hi-cap STI or SVI guns, and they can take the constant use of heavy loads when set up properly. I have a custom STI race gun in .38 super, and a hi-cap 2011 frame with a multiple caliber set up so I can switch from 9mm, .38 super, and .40 S&W. I currently have it set up with a Kart 9mm barrel for IDPA, but I sometimes shoot in the Limited class of IPSC with a Bar Sto .40 barrel.

#14 ·
I have a Para P14 Superhawg but I have no idea if it is reliable or not. Only 150-200 rounds through it so far. I think I've had one failure to feed (but I honestly don't remember clearly).

If I could do it over again I'd get a Fusion or an STI despite my aversion to plastic. I'm just not feeling sanguine about my odds with the Para.

#17 ·
I've owned a Para-Ord P13 (that I never should have sold) and a P14 (that I will not sell). Both were/are 100% reliable and accurate with my SD ammo: 230gr JHP Gold Dots.

Others have reported problems with their Para-Ord pistols, but I haven't had any.

regards

#19 ·
I don't think it's blasphemous to want a hi cap 1911. I just think it's a bad idea until someone comes up with one that works. I spent a couple of years battling a Para P14 Limited that was acurrate as hell, but couldn't get through 100 rounds without choking. Watched a co worker have the same experience with his super fancy STI.

If you want the gun for IPSC or something similar, I say pick the one you want and go for it. If you want it for self defense/carry, get a Glock 21. If they made a hi cap 1911 that was suitable for carry, I'd have one. They don't.

#20 ·
IMHO One of the best kept secrets in hicap 45acp pistols is the BUL M5 -(Kimber or Charles Daly) light enough for CC - thin compared to other widebody 45's well made - reliable - accurate - reasonable price.

#21 ·
I've had a great experience with the STI Edge... I wouldn't recommend it for carry due to weight, but the STI Tactical 4.1 sure looks like a great hi-cap carry gun. My Edge has performed magnificently... STI builds a very high quality gun. The thing with hi-caps is you need to be intimate with your mags.. tune them right and make sure they're up to snuff. If you do, they are exceptionally reliable... Competition shooters won't tolerate unreliable, poorly made guns and the STI hi-caps are very widely respected in those circles.

#22 ·
Dave,

The best thing about the 1911 is options. I love options. Full size, officer size, calibers, finishes, triggers, etc, etc, etc.

I am following this thread closely since I would like to learn more about what is a quality hi-cap 1911.

I know you were looking for 45 but just as an FYI, Wilson has come out with a high-cap 1911 Commander in 9mm. I don't know a lot about it, but I "THINK" the polymer frame is such that it isn't bigger than a traditional frame with grips installed.

I am a 45 guy. But I have been toying with getting a 1911 in 9mm for practice. But it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to have a 9mm with 12-14 rounds in it.

Good hunting. Good thread.

Regards,
Greyson

#24 · (Edited)
Greyson... look into STI 2011 models. They are incredible (though not inexpensive) guns. As I mentioned earlier, serious competition shooters use STI 2011's extensively and very heavily and these guys are seriously intolerant of reliability issues, as much so as serious defense shooters are (should be). The main thing about hi cap 2011 reliability is that the owner should be willing to delve fully into mag component selection and mag maintenance than a casual gun owner might be willing to do. Fortunately, the competition forums offer a wealth of seasoned, experienced shooters who share info on all of this.

#25 ·
Greyson
I agree with you - the 1911 platform gives one near infinite options.

The orginal poster after selling his FN and ammo will have a nice "fund" - if it were me - I would use most of the proceeds from the ammo to buy 45acp ammo - Pistol with no ammo is a paper weight:)

I have no experience with STI - or Fusion widebodies -(STI parts) - or the Wilson. I do have SA widebodies -(mil spec - enhanced - and customized) Bul M5 widebodies-(same as Kimber) - now the Bul - almost Idenical to the Kimber - and simular in frame size to Wilson - they shoot just fine - accurate and reliable - then spend the extra money on ammo - or maybe some performace upgrades - like sights-trigger (if needed)

SA wides are nice - very reasonable in price - perform well -
I had some custom work done to this one - finish - trigger job-bushing.

here is my other SA - wide

here is what it will do at 12+yards

My Bul - shoots very tight groups-now not best looking widebody - but it....

#29 ·
The Charles Daly's all the way. Used to be called Bul's. Bul bought all the frames from another Israel owned/operated 1911 company(Kimber). This is the Hi-cap Kimber should have kept on making. Great firearms. I cant wait to get one. The only reason I didn't buy it when it was a Kimber was the mags were $115-135 each!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.