1911Forum banner

Springfield .380 acp "Mini Govt" ?

6K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  rimfire,22 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought that might get your attention .

Would you buy a Springfield .380 Govt/Mustang type pistol if SA mfg it ? I'm going to ask them about it at SHOT this week in Vegas .
Mil-Spec basic ? "Loaded" with mini Novak's ?

I would order 10 today .

Deb from Springfield checks our forum so let her know by posting here what you think .

#5 ·
Guy Sajer, you may have had a true brainstorm there. As good a bargain-hunter as I am, the Colt .380s are just a bear to find at a decent "used" price anymore. Seems like Springfield could kick some butt if they did this and kept the price at reasonable levels. Offer plain-jane and "loaded" versions, the latter with tritium sights maybe. Stainless or flat black would be the other choices. Can't hurt to ask 'em while you're at SHOT, give it a whirl...

#6 ·
I'd buy one.

#10 ·
Was just looking at the little Colts yesterday. If you're a 1911 fan they definitely catch your eye. I think there would be huge interest if they could be made in true pocket dimensions. Personally, I don't think mini glocks or even the micro-compacts of this world are really "pocket guns". Even some other .32's like the Tomcat are a little on the chunky side. A j-frame snub is at the absolute top end, size-wise, of something that can truly be carried in MY pocket. Look at the number of P32's that are sold. Although I love mine, they have a questionable reputation at best. I question mine's accuracy, not it's reliability. Mine will fire any .32 I put in it but it gives true meaning to the term belly gun. People just want something with more punch than a .22 or .25 that they can put in a pocket. And if you can hit a paper plate at 'across the room' distance...BONUS!

#12 ·
RE: My P32

It's more reliable than I expected but not perfect and as I said in the prior post not accurate at all. But 7+1 .32's in a package small and light enough to fit in the pocket of a dress shirt or gym shorts? I'm in!
In reference to price, even as 'only a .32', at the size and capacity of my Kel-Tec P32, if it was stone reliable AND more accurate, it would absolutely be worth double what I paid ($249)

#18 ·
I would buy one for my wife, as long as it retains the grip safety. Make mine stainless. I don't know if the .380 cartridge really warrants any fancy "loaded" models, though.

#21 ·
I have a Colt Government .380 and it is a nice little gun. I bet SA could sell them where Colt couldn't be bothered.

But mostly I am with Rhino; I would like to see a 1911 pattern gun scaled to true 9mm size. Ok, maybe big enough to take .40, but NO LARGER. About the size of a Kahr K9 or perhaps as big as a T9 but single action.

Find the old American Rifleman article about the Colt 9.8 mm to see what I want. Also the similar FN Grand Browning 9.65 mm.

#23 ·
How About A Springfield Pocket-Nine?

I think the PocketNine was about the perfect concealed carry gun -- a serious caliber, combined with just enough size (some of the others -- Mustangs, etc -- are too small for my hands) and a rounded-enough profile to be highly concealable. I think this is why the little Kahrs are taking off so well.

If SA made a little PocketNine replacement, I'd be camping out at the gun shop to buy one...

#26 ·
Guy

I have one of each of the Colts and I definately would buy one of each if they were reintroduced. Though I would prefer the frames and slide to be scaled to match the size of the 1903/1908 Pocket Pistols instead of the .380 Govt. The newer frames are actually a bit small for my hands.

While chamberings in .380 acp, .32 acp, or the new .32 NAA would be adequate (.32 NAA might be fun), I would like to see a larger caliber if possible like 9mm or 9mm Markarov. 40 S&W and .38 Super would probably require a full size frame, for the sake of longevity.

Str8_Shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.