1911Forum

1911Forum (http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting (http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ramp bull barrel & bull barrel? (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=83872)

hitman joe 05-29-2004 10:56 AM

ramp bull barrel & bull barrel?

Hi guys,

I am a new member of this forum and i am trying to purchase my first ever 1911 firearm. I had already chosen the CD EMS 2-tone unit from ARMSCOR PHILS. But the problem is, I still don't know which of the 2 caliber I will choose. (cal. .45 or 9mm luger) as my HD weapon and maybe later to be use as my CCW. I was just wondering about the specs. I saw from ARMSCOR's website. The EMS cal. .45 specs states, Cal. 45 ACP, medium size, 8+1 capacity, bull barrel, extended ambidextrous safety, extra power (3XP) firing pin spring, 2-tone (stainless frame, blued slide)
While the EMS 9mm luger states, Cal. 9mm, medium size, 9+1 capacity, ramp type bull barrel, extended ambidextrous safety, 2-tone (stainless frame, blued slide)

The following questions arises in my mind;

1. What is the difference between 4" bull barrel & 4" ramp type bull barrelregardless of the caliber?

2. Is there any difference in the frame that houses a 4" ramp type bull barrel to the frame that houses a 4" bull barrel or a standard 4" barrel?

3. Is it possible for a frame that houses a 4" 9mm ramp type bull barrel to receive a 4" 9mm or .45 cal. bull barrel or even a standard 4" 9mm or .45 cal. barrel?

I really need to know this things before making my decision to purchase my fisrt ever 1911 firearm unit. Hope somebody can help me with regards to this matter.

check you later guys.

CastleBravo 05-29-2004 01:27 PM

A "normal" 1911 barrel does not have a feed ramp. The feed ramp is part of the frame.

A "ramped" 1911 barrel has the feed ramp as part of the barrel. To install a ramped barrel in a 1911, you have to cut the frame. You can't switch between ramped and unramped barrels on the same gun.

Generally, you can't switch calibers in a 1911 only by switching barrels, because the breechface dimensions on the slide are different.

Generally, you can convert a 9x19 to 9x21, 9x23, or .38 Super without much problem. Or a 10mm to .40 S&W, 9x25 or .357 Sig. A .45 can be converted to .45 Super, .460 Rowland and .40 Super without much difficulty. Other conversions CAN be done, but you generally have to replace the entire top end of the gun to do them.

hitman joe 05-30-2004 12:06 AM

CastleBravo,

Thanks 'bro. for the infos. Got one more question buds.

Here's the situation, let say :rolleyes: i have a 1911 in 9mm luger that uses a (4") feed ramped bull barrel. You mean the only way for me to make my 9mm 1911 to a cal. .45 is to change the entire top with a cal. .45 conversion kit with a (4") feed ramped bull barrel? Is their such thing as a cal. .45 conversion kit with a feed ramped bull barrel?

I think it's a bad idea :bawling: getting this 9mm 1911 that uses a feed ramped bull barrel don't you think? I think i might have to go for ARMSCOR EFS 2-tone cal. .45 that uses a standard 5" barrel. I think it's not hard to find after sales replacement parts if ever you need one. Thanks again 'bro :)

CastleBravo 05-30-2004 01:28 PM

Quote:

You mean the only way for me to make my 9mm 1911 to a cal. .45 is to change the entire top with a cal. .45 conversion kit with a (4") feed ramped bull barrel?
Yes. The breechface on the 9mm is too small to convert it to .45 just by changing barrels.

hitman joe 05-31-2004 12:29 AM

CastleBravo,

Thanks for the info man. I'll just have to wait for the reply of ARMSCOR with regards to my request for a detailed specs. on their Commander size 9mm 1911 unit. I also ask them what is the difference between those bull barrels that we have discuss.
I'll try to post a picture of the unit that i want to get. After i figure how to do it. check you later 'bro.